Author Topic: explosive approach to chute deployment  (Read 7306 times)

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: explosive approach to chute deployment
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 10:22:40 PM »
Im not sure you could react fast enough for this to work. If you include the G forces involved in a failed parachute opening. It would need to be an automated system if you are trying to cut away a chute the only partially opened, or tangled. If this system is for the sole purpose of my main chute had no reaction at all, then you would be ok. But if your trying to prevent a roll from a tangled/partial opened chute then its a bad idea. You would need to have an incredible reaction time and strength if your chute opened funny and sent you into a side g pull.

Honestly I would only recommend this system as a reserve for a failed main. Not to prevent anything, or to try to counteract a chute that doesn't open properly.
How about if the main chute was automatically cut away if the back up was deployed? Seems that could be rigged. Wayno

DocBeech

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 04:46:33 PM »
How about if the main chute was automatically cut away if the back up was deployed? Seems that could be rigged. Wayno

I understood that part. That part would work just fine. Its the emergency back up idea that I would like to shoot down. If you have a chute that failed to fully open, or tangled on its way how would you teach the system that you only got a partially opened chute.

Offline dw230

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 07:56:49 PM »
By the time you figure your chute didn't open or is tangled you have gotten to the mud and will slow rapidly at that point.

The only fool proof way to ensure that you have a good deployment is to leave the start line with the chute out of the pack. I have witnessed this method.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 09:30:54 PM »
I'm not sure any of this would get past Homeland Security.  :evil: :cheers: :cheers:
Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 09:49:55 PM »
If you have a chute that failed to fully open, or tangled on its way how would you teach the system that you only got a partially opened chute.

Depends on how fancy you wanted to get. Photo cell in the back of the chute pack to detect that the chute pack is open, (who let all the light in) and a G meter to tell you that you are not getting the deceleration you should would be at the top of my list. The backup video cam looking aft is also a nice backup so the driver does not have to wonder what is going on.

Larry

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2011, 11:40:05 AM »
That's a lot of things to look at while you're still trying to stay on course -- and you've probably spent 10 minutes a year under power and recognizing all the other controls.  You can spend hours in the garage memorizing them, but at over 200 there seems to be other things that distract you.  At least for us old farts.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
That's a lot of things to look at while you're still trying to stay on course -- and you've probably spent 10 minutes a year under power and recognizing all the other controls.  You can spend hours in the garage memorizing them, but at over 200 there seems to be other things that distract you.  At least for us old farts.

Stan

I can feel the chute deploy, but as an extra I do have a large convex rear view mirror so I can see behind me,, like the Chute or Push Truck,, or stuff behind me when backing out of the trailer etc...

No time to look for fancy stuff in the cockpit at speed.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2011, 06:22:19 PM »
Was not suggesting "lots of stuff" to look at, just great big idiot lights that come on after the chute release to confirm the chute pack opened and you have deceleration.

The rear view monitor would only be something to look at after all the other important items have been taken care of, just like the rear view mirrors.

You have one green idiot light come on when the chute pack opens, telling you that you got a release and the chute pack is open, and a second big red idiot light that only comes on when the green light is on, and no negative G's from a fully blossomed chute.  That could be as simple as a ball bearing in an inclined tube that would slide forward under negative G's and close a contact.

Keep this sort of stuff cave man simple.

Larry
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:24:15 PM by hotrod »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 06:33:20 PM »
When you are traviling at high speed you don't have a lot of time to think about it. You better guess the instant things start to go nuts. All of the lights and bells wont help.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah