Author Topic: explosive approach to chute deployment  (Read 7287 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

explosive approach to chute deployment
« on: January 12, 2011, 12:06:27 AM »
Considering the concept of using a airbag type charge to electronically deploy a 3rd chute for emergency stops. Could be activated by tip over switch or by push button if for what ever reason the 2 primary chutes failed. Take note this would be in a vehicle that would reqire the tail to split open to expose the chute tubes (411 ish). I would plan that the emergency chute would be aligned with a burst panel in the tail that would allow the chute to breach the tail section without opening.

Would use a carbon fiber high pressure tank with end cut off for the tube (rated at 4500psi) similar to below:

Any thoughts or comments regarding this idea?

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Tman

Re: explosive approach to chute deployment
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 12:12:56 AM »
You building a new car or is this for the Fiat?

Offline Bville701

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 12:43:20 AM »
Is this to use instead of a pilot chute/spring? Are you going to be running an air shift transmission?   :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 12:57:23 AM »
Just a bit if history summer brothers golden rod used 12 gauge shot gun shells I think now i am second guessing my self but I believe it was them. When we rebuilt the car there were different tail secsion to the car and some pic showed them to be a different color we later learned that the different color was to help the crew find the panels on the salt thought that was pertty cool
Mike cook jr

Offline Bville701

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 01:50:16 AM »
Just a bit if history summer brothers golden rod used 12 gauge shot gun shells I think now i am second guessing my self but I believe it was them. When we rebuilt the car there were different tail secsion to the car and some pic showed them to be a different color we later learned that the different color was to help the crew find the panels on the salt thought that was pertty cool

Yes, I've heard the same thing.
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 03:02:24 AM »
Have you looked into the BRS ballistic chute system? It is FAA certified for the Cirrus aircraft as well as many ultralights. I realize a certified system is costly and you want low cost. However, it might be worth a call to them about a non-certified, or prototype system. I think their patent is focused about their reefing device which is another good idea for LSR. I have been toying with the idea of a LSR ballistic chute for a long time. I think you have a very interesting idea and the  use of an air bag charge is innovative. However, it will be challenging (especially the testing).

http://www.brsaerospace.com/brs_aviation_home.aspx

Offline Tman

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 03:05:57 AM »
Have you looked into the BRS ballistic chute system? It is FAA certified for the Cirrus aircraft as well as many ultralights. I realize a certified system is costly and you want low cost. However, it might be worth a call to them about a non-certified, or prototype system. I think their patent is focused about their reefing device which is another good idea for LSR. I have been toying with the idea of a LSR ballistic chute for a long time. I think you have a very interesting idea and the  use of an air bag charge is innovative. However, it will be challenging (especially the testing).

http://www.brsaerospace.com/brs_aviation_home.aspx

Looks like spam to me.

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 03:20:10 AM »
When I read "burst panel" I immediately thought of the SFI panel. However, everything I have seen would most likely be too small for your envelope. What were you planning on using?

It also appears you are considering "blasting" the chute out of the tube (bottle). Another consideration would be to use a shuttle to pull the chute out. It might be more orderly, and predictable. Also, easier to define the burst panel dimensions to accommodate a fixed-sized shuttle rather than an expanding chute.  

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 03:25:24 AM »
Looks like spam to me.
Why would say that! Do yo have any idea what this post is about or what Jonny is trying to do? :-P
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:28:07 AM by Saltfever »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 03:54:53 AM »
Careful Tman. That one's totally legitimate, plus Saltfever's a really active participant on the forum. Read the whole thread.

Pete
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:06:17 AM by Peter Jack »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 04:11:56 AM »
Saltfever, how'd you become a newbie all over again? :?

Pete

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 05:24:14 AM »
Jon fixed a problem in the dbase that prevented me from modifying my profile data. The problem got fixed but the link to my 400+ posts was broken rendering me a newbie.  :cry:  :-D

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 06:15:49 AM »
Jon fixed a problem in the dbase that prevented me from modifying my profile data. The problem got fixed but the link to my 400+ posts was broken rendering me a newbie.  :cry:  :-D

Jon found a way to make somebody a virgin again? He'll be rich! RICH I say!!  :lol:
Will weld for beer :cheers:

DocBeech

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 06:22:36 AM »
This can be where you get into tricky territory. I understand the concept but there is a lot of other things that can go wrong. I have my jump wings so I know a thing or two about chutes. One thing that can go wrong is you cause a horseshoe. Thats where you have the main chute that failed to deploy but is open, and you deploy a reserve on top of it. Now some resistance is better than no resistance but at this point your going to create unwanted side forces.

If your going to do this, you would need to decide that it should only be pulled if the mains fail to open. Or you will want to design a cut away system to release the old chutes and make sure you don't just throw yourself into a roll.

What you should really do is use explosive bolts. instead of using a pilot parachute. Have two explosive bolts on the panel. Design the panel to pull the parachute when it comes off. A good layer of wadding will protect the parachute, and you will have to play around with what you can use but just rigging the parachute to open once the hatch is pulled open might be your best bet. Otherwise you can design it so the pilot chute pulls the main out once it catches a hint of air.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 07:16:46 AM »
DocBeech, great idea! Wouldn't it be ideal if the main chute were somehow attached to the burst panel? Or at least the cut away system was? Then, when the bolts are blown, everything is done at once.

Just thinking that some times things happen fast, and if a guys in trouble, too many steps may be cumbersome, and spell disaster.

Just an idea.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c