Author Topic: Weld in Roll cages  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Weld in Roll cages
« on: January 11, 2011, 06:06:59 PM »
Saw in a "older" thread on the SCTA rules section that the 1/4" sandwich support pads for the structure braces are primarily for bolt in bars and cages. I am planning to install a 10 pt. weld in cage with weld in sub frame and additional frame stubs. I can fab this stuff but don't quite have the means to form 1/4" X 6" X 6" plate. Can some one help with some clarity?
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Weld in Roll cages
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 07:23:47 PM »
The rules mention that method.  I have it on pretty good authority that a cage like you're planning should pass tech, provided all other requirements are met.  Nevertheless, check first.

The thought of sandwiching .060 steel floorboards with plates just doesn't sound too safe compared to a real cage.

I was told the idea is to build the car around the cage, rather than install the cage in the car.  It's verbal semantics, but intuitively, it makes sense.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:21:49 PM »
Midget, that's kind off my point. If the needed bends and contours on the support plates, top and bottom do not match the contours of the floor or sill spot on they can cause weak spots around the perimeter of the plates on the floor. Also What happens to the integrity of the floor if there are voids created during the cars factory assembly? Just trying to ensure a Legal build as my wife is the driver and I tend to over build on safety assems anyway. Thx for the input.

Frank
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 06:58:03 PM »
The best cage would be built with complete hoops so that it is structurally complete seat and all without the car. Tying into the added sub-frame will be stronger than sheet metal attachment points to keep the cage with the car even if the sheetmetal somehow gets pealed off in a tumble (I've only seen this when the sheetmental has been modified and not welded back together correctly).

You're already going about it the correct way by reading the rulebook and asking first. You can sketch what you have planned and ask tech and post a sketch or two here for suggestions before getting tubing and cutting things.

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 07:02:29 PM »
If you have a question on cage fabrication, call me in the shop from 9 to 4EST at 302.378.3013.
joe
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Geo

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 07:41:39 PM »
There was a good discussion about cages titled: material tubing thickness

found here:  http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4846.0.html

Geo