Author Topic: Wind Tunnel Advice  (Read 8852 times)

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: Wind Tunnel Advice
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 05:21:51 PM »
Zach,

I live an hour from A2 Wind Tunnel,,, I just spoke with them last week and the 2011 prices have increased a bit.

$460 per hour.  I need to check a few things on my Stude and while there with all this spolier and safety discussion I was going to put my car in backwards and test to see how the rear lifts with altered style rear spoiler.  I was then going to test a hinged design and flaps in the spoiler,,

However after talking with them, the time involved to take the car out, re set it backwards and make the tests would cost another $2,000 that I don't have.

Charles, Do they have people waiting to use the wind tunnel, are they that busy? Maybe we should be in the wind tunnel business.

Rick
NASCAR?????, Winston Salem is a couple of hours from Concord/ Charlotte,Hello
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 06:20:43 PM »
The A2 wind tunnel is not in Concord/Charlotte.... it is in Mooresville, NC.

I live south of Winston Salem and can get to A2 in an hour. (give or take 10 mins)

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline racergeo

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 09:10:56 PM »
  I am going to take a model car of a 88 Firebird or Camero, put a little weight glued in the trunk and back seat and fit it with interchangeable spoilers as seen in the rule book. I will take my Craftsman leaf blower and do a little experimenting from different distances. I think I will learn something. I can even put a hinge on the promod type spoiler and see if it keeps it from lifting. Should be fun and I'll report.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 10:06:15 PM »
Why not build a long box and use the intake of the blower to suck the air through? It should give more even flow.

Pete

Offline manifest

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 01:46:16 PM »
Are there any tricks or anything particular you have to watch out for when building small scale?  And what exactly is on the triet&davenport liner model in the tunnel that is showing air movement?

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 03:26:41 PM »
All of you guys that want to waste your time with leaf blowers and home made wind tunnels I have some advice for you.

The next time the wind is blowing really hard, go outside, face the wind and take a pi$$, you will learn more and get a good lesson on building a model wind tunnel.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Tman

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 03:52:57 PM »
Are there any tricks or anything particular you have to watch out for when building small scale?  And what exactly is on the triet&davenport liner model in the tunnel that is showing air movement?

Freud explained it in his build thread, kerosene and diatomatious earth slurry spread on the model.

efenn611

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
If you want to keep your full bodied car on the ground while sideways or backwards, why not just install some NASCAR spec roof flaps. Those boys have done a lot of testing, wind tunnel, and real life. :-D :-D :-D :-P

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 06:09:57 PM »
Yeah, but . . .

They all have an open window that makes the flaps work.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Geo

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 07:16:01 PM »
You do not need an open window to make them work  :wink:

Geo

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 07:31:04 PM »
Yeah, but . . .

They all have an open window that makes the flaps work.

Stan

Stan, look again. They close the right side window at the super speedways. That's not what makes them work.   :-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 07:35:57 PM »
All of you guys that want to waste your time with leaf blowers and home made wind tunnels I have some advice for you.

The next time the wind is blowing really hard, go outside, face the wind and take a pi$$, you will learn more and get a good lesson on building a model wind tunnel.

Rex
Rex, No thanks, I think I'll use a garden hose. Get less on me that way.  :-D :evil:
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline mike mendoza

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 11:36:41 PM »
cockpit low pressure  360   ? :cheers:

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 03:13:18 AM »
You do not need an open window to make them work  wink

Geo

John Rains has ducts in the body specifically to pressurize the roof flap boxes if the car gets sideways.

Larry

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 11:33:14 AM »
What I was trying to state was that they need a pressure differential to work.  How much, I don't know.  And I still think the Nascar racers have an open left window.  We leave the windows (side curtains) off our roadster.  Haven't put the top up for years -- maybe a flap is in order.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records