Author Topic: Robert Rufi  (Read 11675 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Robert Rufi
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 10:02:36 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Freud.  I will give her the magazine.  I keep the old issues but hardly ever look at them.

Saturday there is the Salem Roadster Show in the afternoon and the B-ville Reunion that evening.  Things don't get much better than this.  We will see you at the dinner. - Bo

Plan B

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 06:03:07 PM »
Freud

Thanks for prompting me to do this.

I spent an hour with lighting and camera settings to get below 500KB.

Learned things I should have paid attention to long ago.

Conclusion; I am a picture taker - not a photographer - hats off to the real ones.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 06:11:19 PM »
Note: the wheel covers are washing machine lids. Seen several early cars using them. Moon wasn't in business then.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Plan B

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 08:54:02 PM »
Interesting you would mention that.

There are two paragraphs of text in the upper left corner of the photo, not showing in my attachment.

Last paragraph - last sentence; "Reportedly the wheelcovers came from a WW-1 Curtiss JN-4 'Jenny' plane."

...... but I'm happy with washing machine lids.  That's probably more reasonable since the inside wheel covers are the same thing.

Offline salt27

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 09:18:48 PM »
Interesting you would mention that.

There are two paragraphs of text in the upper left corner of the photo, not showing in my attachment.

Last paragraph - last sentence; "Reportedly the wheelcovers came from a WW-1 Curtiss JN-4 'Jenny' plane."

...... but I'm happy with washing machine lids.  That's probably more reasonable since the inside wheel covers are the same thing.
Maybe the "Jenny" got them from a washer :-D.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 09:36:45 PM »
Yesterday I talked to Bob's daughter and she shared some of her salt memories.  Safety was discussed.  I mentioned that no one got seriously hurt or killed last year and we had a full racing season.  She concluded that things are much safer now.  A lot of people got hurt in the old days.

Offline rlasek

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 06:43:03 PM »
Hi there, I'm actually Bob Rufi's grandson.  I have lots of information on his car, pictures, etc.  I am curious about the gentleman that knows his daughter, who is my mother, and has never lived in Oregon or worked at a parts store.  Perhaps this is a different relative?  Interesting - appreciate some more information!

The speed record stated is correct.  Also, Vic Edelbrock helped him build the car, and the body was fabricated at Lockheed Martin by a buddy of his that worked there.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 07:31:37 PM »
PM sent.