Author Topic: Quality control.  (Read 6550 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: Quality control.
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »
I just tried my brand new SBC Pioneer Performance dampener from Summit on my billet Crower crankshaft. It fell on. This doesn't seem right. Crank snout is 1.247. Dampener is 1.249. So I call Crower. They tell me 1.247 is the correct size. So I call Summit tech service. They say sometimes Chevys with press on dampeners are smaller than Chevys with bolts in the crank. If that happens you lose. So I call BHJ. They say dampeners should be 1.2435 to 1.2445. So I buy one and call Summit customer service. Tell them the story. Guy talks to Tech guy. Tells me that 1.249 is very close to 1.2445. A thousandth of an inch is very small and they can't be expected to hit the same size every time. .005 should be close enough for anybody...... Why me?

Offline MidTNJasonF.

• New folks
  • Will ride for beer.
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 04:23:29 PM »
A thousandth of an inch is very small and they can't be expected to hit the same size every time. .005 should be close enough for anybody...... Why me?

.005 is a mile in precision machining. The "Tech Guy" at Summit has probably never actually seen a mill or lathe much less ever ran one. I die a little inside every time I see one of our operators checking a ±0.005 tolerance part with a pair of cheap digital calipers. Most of the young guys coming out of trade school we hire have trouble reading a Micrometer and do not know the meaning of gage calibration.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 07:02:26 PM »
33 years standing in front of a machine at the Airline. Sometimes working to 50 millionths. I knew better than to argue with the guy. He's a tech at Summit. Who could know better than that?

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
  If you didn't give him the part number, he probably wouldn't know what the part was.
  Same thing going to Shuck's, Kragen, etal.
  All the stuff they sell with their names on it is Chinese sh-t.
  Ask Roy Fjstad how he feels about being ripped off by Jeg's, Summit, and Speedway Bill.
Bob Drury

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 10:58:03 PM »
Do you live close to them?  You can bring in your crank and ask them to open boxes and find one that will fit.  That may be the only way to make things work if their machining is sloppy.

Offline Kato Engineering

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 01:04:15 AM »

having a brigeport and various tube sanders available, I would never even consider a tubing notcher...
one of the first was utiliZing a holesaw cutter...

RICH,

you should know that the pioneer stuff is crap.

properly made and sized parts are available from BHJ or ATI

the RIGHT WAY is to hone the hub to obtain the proper "press fit"
when aided with hot water....
this is what the guy that does your crank balancing is supoose to do...!!!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 09:29:59 AM »
Ron; That was my plan except I would have done in myself. This was my first experience with Pioneer. Somehow I had not expected that Summit was selling worthless dampeners. I guess their customers like the easy way they go on or something. Anyway my new BHJ dampener came yesterday and life goes on.