Author Topic: Quality control.  (Read 6598 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Quality control.
« on: January 06, 2011, 10:13:34 PM »
So the new tubing notcher I just purchased was a full 1/8+" off center line. Are you kidding me!!!!!

I had to shim the deck with washers and precision shims to get the thing in alignment.

OK, sure I was able to fix it but it just pizzes me off to no end when a brand new tool is such a POS and not even remotely close to correct.

(*note, this did NOT come from Harbor Freight)

Rant over....done.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Quality control.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:21:22 AM »
Johnny, the last few years I have been having a lot of problems with the quality of things I buy, too.  Mostly it seems that people are in a hurry.  As much as possible I like to get the folks that screwed up to fix the problem.  This costs them their precious time.  My feelings are, if I do not do this, lousy work will become the norm.

Offline Tman

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 01:14:53 AM »
JH. what notcher? I have seen a few that needed that sort of tweaking.  :?

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 11:46:10 AM »
I built my own.Has been right on center. A few other problems however.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 07:01:49 PM »
JH. what notcher? I have seen a few that needed that sort of tweaking.

http://www.vansantent.com/tube_coping_machines/joint_jigger.htm

OK, I get that this is the cheapest they have but.....it wasnt even close to correct alignment. Truth is now that I have it shimmed it really is not a bad unit. The notcher seems to work pretty good (and rolling through .120).

I would buy it again....but it still should be aligned from the factory.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 07:19:22 PM »
A bridgeport makes a nice Notcher.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 07:41:50 PM »
A bridgeport makes a nice Notcher.

The problem with that is when a joint is cut wrong you have to blame yourself. Can't blame the Bridgeport!  :lol:
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline John Burk

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 08:18:38 PM »
It's easy to make joints with a Porta Band and a grinder . Two 45 deg cuts viewed from the side is a  radius except for the wall thickness .

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 09:13:37 PM »
The problem with that is when a joint is cut wrong you have to blame yourself. Can't blame the Bridgeport!  :lol:
[/quote]
Yeah I have a bucket full of mistakes. :lol:
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 10:32:56 PM »
It's easy to make joints with a Porta Band and a grinder . Two 45 deg cuts viewed from the side is a  radius except for the wall thickness .

Plus 1. 

There are also programs out there to figure the cut angles for odd joint angles as well as odd sized tubing joints.  I have found it easier to work off a centerline marked on the tubing using a piece of angle iron as a straight edge.

Ed

Offline Tman

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 04:19:47 PM »

When I learned how handy a Porta band was it opened a whole new world.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 08:55:19 AM »
I broke down and bought one of these a few years ago.... it works pretty good but I too had a bucket full of mistakes at the beginning

http://www.lowbucktools.com/notcher.html
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 01:57:49 PM »
  Having spent 33 years in the consruction industry, I live by the axiom " measure twice....... cut once".
  I always cut the longest pieces first, cause you can use up your mistakes on the shorter ones.
  Never admit those in the bucket are mistakes........... I call them "trial fit's".           Bob
Bob Drury

Offline fastman614

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 03:20:57 PM »
oh..... yeah...... OOPS!..... i had a bucket full of , yeah, trial fits!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline MidTNJasonF.

• New folks
  • Will ride for beer.
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 11:14:46 AM »
Welcome to the world of production based manufacturing. There is a reason high quality hand built items cost orders of magnitude more than the off the shelf production item of similar nature. That applies to cabinets for the kitchen down to the knife in your pocket. As a Quality Assurance Manager for a small production facility I fight this every damn day.

I will not even get into the Asian country vs. US/European manufacturing debate but simply put the guy making the parts on the shop floor just does not care anymore. I have 60 year old and 20 year old machine operators on the floor who do not care. It is not age or generation dependent. You can get around this if you have management that keeps tight control over the employees but in many cases management has only one goal and that is to get parts out the door. In my case I have to fight not only the guys on the floor but also management that wants to literally circumvent the quality control process by pulling parts straight off the machines and onto pallets to go out the door. Every delivery is rushed, every part is late, and every schedule is stretched. If they can just call it good enough and save a day of inspection in the quality lab they will do it.

We have machines that will hold 0.0005" tolerances all day long if they are setup and programed properly but if the print calls for ±.010 The programmers will not even bother to try and hit the mean numbers. Close enough for government work is the rule they seem to live by.

It makes me sad, when I was a production machinist it would upset me if I missed a dimension or scrapped a part. Now I see operators that do not have a concern in the world when they scrap a part if they even bother to notice it is out of tolerance. No worries for them, they still get a paycheck at the end of the week whether the machine is cranking out junk or perfect parts.