Author Topic: White Cars  (Read 11199 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: White Cars
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
I don't think we missed it even if it was on the short course. The thing is the inspectors should enforce the rule better. You have to remember we are 1000 feet from the course and some of the newer liner and bikes are quite small and low to the surface making them difficult to see. Dark colors show up a lot easier.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 03:36:14 PM »
Too bad the tower and the photographer missed this one.

Since those are my pictures, I can comment on that series of shots.

Keep in mind that those shots were made with a long telephoto lens.
They were then enlarged in software (cropped out a small portion of the frame to enlarge the image).
Then I made some gamma adjustments to improve visual contrast (adjusted how much change in image contrast is necessary to go from full black to pure white).

Those images  are about the view you would have through a pair of binoculars, not the naked eye.

The only reason the car is easy to see is you are viewing it from the shadow side of the car, sun coming from the right beyond the car at 90 degrees from the point of view making many of the shots have a dark shadow side to the car. In the pictures I shot of the car while you were getting out of it after the spin, I had a tough time finding a setting where I could differentiate the car from the salt behind it. In part of the image there is effectively no difference in color between the car and the salt, and I could not digitally select the car, and do much with the contrast because the dynamic range of the photo was so extreme, (deep shadow and black tires against white salt and a white car).

In flat hazy light the view where there is no shadow side of the car visible is very hard to see.

Attached are two images that show about what the view looked like to the naked eye from my vantage point, if the car was in a position where there was little shadow side visible. My view was almost a mile away.
I removed the contrast enhancements to flatten the image contrast.
The second image is about the view the tower would have had as they were farther away.

Remember also that a crew trying to find a car are at a relatively low position and because of the curvature of the earth can only see about 1.5 miles. If the car is much farther away then that they will only be able to see the very top part of the roof. If it is white and the black tires are below the horizon they are looking for white on white. Throw in a bit of sun glare, dirt on your windshield dust on your sun glasses or salt dust from a spin and the outcome is obvious.

Larry
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:43:07 PM by hotrod »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2011, 05:35:39 PM »
We are 18 feet in the air in the timing tower with a little more visibility and can see right at 1-1/2 miles
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2011, 07:37:22 PM »
You will know if you have enough contrasting color when you go looking for it after the run.  If it turned out toward the tower and you are a half a mile away and can't find it or know where it is then you will KNOW.   :-o

People don't get the vastness of the salt ( here OR there) until they have to find something that isn't where it should be.....we spent ten minutes looking for our little red and white lakester the first year when the Reverend got lost down the long end of the course, missed the turn off, got lost on the return road, lost the road altogether, got behind the island, could't restart the car....it's hard to see that little thing front on against a white background....

The timers not being able to see the car is one thing, your crew not being able to FIND you is another.

From a thermodynamic perspective it'd be great to have a white car out there, it's just that no one will see you,and that can be dangerous for a number of reasons.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2011, 09:16:45 PM »
Larry,  THANK YOU for explaining a bit of why 30XX CSR should add some contrasting color to his car.

In recent discussions with the subject of speed timing he's aware of the problem a dragster nose yrs truly had designed with its problems because of the varying heights of NHRA's timing equipment down - track and my mathematical proof on the difference that 7/8" can make on that specific nose.

Nearly 4 mph lane to lane on NHRA's 66' timing trap. In roughly 30XX's speed range.

And he wonders why the BLACK roadster was 12mph over his record!
Let alone the YELLOW one's 6 gain!

(XXs added to avoid embarassment)
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2011, 11:49:54 PM »
For years now I have been one of the timers for the Short Course and Special Course at Bonneville for Speed Week. I would encourage all race cars and bikes not to be WHITE, its not easy to spot you at different points on the race course for me or for the patrols, please make our job a little easier and paint your race vehicles anything but White.  It is a safety issue, especially if you turn towards the tower in an emergency and we can't see you!!  Paint is cheap, use the correct color (Yellow, Red, Orange,Blue, green, black etc) so we can spot you and yes your race vehicle will even look better on your teashirt. Dave  :?
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline Tman

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 12:05:55 AM »
OK, so my yellow green and orange scheme should be fine :wink:

Serious, we are recreating a color scheme my dad had on his record setting Olds in 70. Sounds worse that it really is but those that lived in the 60s will dig it  :cheers:

Offline MattStrube

• New folks
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2011, 09:25:57 AM »
Thank you everyone for your positive comments, this really helps clarify the importance of the rule.  Matt