Author Topic: Engine Size  (Read 6352 times)

Blue

Re: Engine Size
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 01:38:59 PM »
Can't use the pump on a two stroke Nutz. Uncovers the ports and measures the world.
Back when I raced a two-stroke (when dinosaurs walked the earth), tech would pull a spark plug and use a dial indicator to measure stroke.  If someone protested bore, they pulled the head.  Swept volume is swept volume.  What the heck was the question??? :?

Offline dw230

Re: Engine Size
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 06:57:25 PM »
The statement was made about using the air pump in impound. I answered, in my limited experience, that we cannot use the air pump because as the piston runs through the stroke cycle ports in the cylinder are uncovered and will leak air to the crankcase. I raced two stroke karts and this is how I remember the engines. Anyway, if air is leaked through the ports in the cylinder you do not get an accurate measurement of cylinder volumn.

A two stroke would be measured the same as a standard engine. Our dip stick for stroke, and the spread finger tool for the bore. Of course the piston would have to be either high enough or low enough in the bore so that the fingers would not fall into the ports. Been done before. The standard math would be used to determine the displacement.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth