Author Topic: new EFS streamliner from Italy - Gus Gus -  (Read 43847 times)

Offline Tman

Re: new EFS streamliner from Italy - Gus Gus -
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 08:01:25 PM »
What a beautiful piece. Every year, the bar is raised another notch! Can't wait to see this in person...

Fabio - I tried to e-mail you about a book I'm working on. Would be honored to have you in it.
Scotty

I'll vouch for Scotty, he reallly is a writer and has crewed at Bonneville on the Chili Pepper Nash.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 08:05:09 PM »
The engine is 3,5 litre V8 a Chevroled Indy Racing League 2004 spec built by Menard it run on methanol and deliver 750 Hp at 11.000 RPM. with a max torque of 450 Nm at 8000 RPM.

340mph?..........

That is a very, very impressive build.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

DocBeech

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 10:46:25 PM »
Thats an impressive amount of engineering you did. Good luck when you run it! I would be interested in hearing your adventures at the 24 hour events.

Offline jangleguy

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2011, 01:06:12 AM »

I'll vouch for Scotty, he reallly is a writer and has crewed at Bonneville on the Chili Pepper Nash.
[/quote]

Thanks, Trent. I'd love to cover this quest in the book, but so far, no replies to my e-mails.
Good luck to you, Fabio! I'll be cheering you on!
Scotty
Tyre Friars Hot Rod Gang   http://scottygossonexposed.blogspot.com/

Blue

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2011, 12:14:41 AM »
I would be very interested to hear the designer's thoughts on under-body flow, pitch sensitivity (not a solid-suspension chassis), and aft vortex flow vs. separation drag as compared to the other absolute wheel-driven streamliners.

Offline fabio montani

• New folks
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 10:14:54 AM »
I Thanks all of you for your interest and comment and apologise for late reply

Here below I have some answer to your question :

- Blue : I forwarded to our car designer your comments and got this reply :
Your question is very technical and need a long answer not suitable for such a forum. Moreover we cannot compare to other streamliner as we have not all those data. In summary, let’s say that the air flow below underbody has been studied to reduce Drag. Rear extractor creates downforce on the rear axle and front nose has been studied to extract air above the car. Back of the car is designed to cover the mechanical components, flow separation does exist after  rear tyres, does  creates drag but – depending how is designed -  it could also create positive effect
If you have more information about competitors I would be happy to discuss further on all these aspects.

- Tman : thanks you I'm talking with Scott

- DocBeech : Thank you as far as 24 hrs result not very lucky :
1996 Chevron BMW WSC  DNF broken transmission after 4 hours
1997 Riley Scott Mk III DNF broken engine early in the morning
1999 Kudzu three rotor 15th overall after much delay due to gearbox stuck in fourth gear three times

- Dr Google : I would love to do 340 Mph but our estimate of the car possibility is just above 300.May be is conservative but we have no direct experience

- Revolutionary : I recycled and modified second hand IRL exhaust , bill for this component is reasonable so far... !

DocBeech

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2011, 04:50:33 PM »
Well I hope to see you running there again soon! My friend Eric Meyers (the guy whose helping me with my build and we just finished custom designing the radiator) races the 24 hours of daytona in a RX8. He does Daytona, I am going to shoot for Bonneville lol. First I will run the Texas mile in a year or two after I finish some more projects on the car! But I have always thought the 24 hour races were an extreme test of engineering and endurance for the cars. Good luck with your build!

Offline dw230

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2011, 07:58:34 PM »
A 24 hour race comes second to the Dakar type ralley raid when looking for endurance of car and man.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline fabio montani

• New folks
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2011, 07:55:16 PM »
Hello

We had two days testing at Monza race track main straight whose total length is one mile.
The purpose was purely to have a shake down of the mechanical and electronic system and I'm happy of the car performance.

We installed a short ratio gearbox to enable the car to start from stand still and to accelerate properly but I could not push more than third gear @ approx 8500 RPM then I had to quickly start braking given the limited braking power of the car.
Carbon brakes are fitted only on rear wheels and same starts to works only at considerably high temperature.

The max speed achieved was approx 140 Mph and I stopped every run very close to the limit.

The first day we had to sort out a bug in the ECU software and the second day we did 12 runs troublefree .

for the occasion the car was fitted with Michey Thompson front tire and a pair of Michelin Rally tire at the back providing good grip but the rigidity of these tire is far less than Michey's moreover we put no ballast on the front and in conclusion we did no proper suspension set up that under the circumstance would have been meaningless .

Said that I had a good feeling : the car goes straight , react positively to steering  , engine-gearbox and data acquisition works just fine .
Clearly such a test conditions with the car under severe accelleration and then immediately under braking condition combined with low speed can not generate any real indication.

I opened the high speed chute at low speed (approx 130 Mph) just to try . This was my first chute deploy and could not resist !

Right now I'm litterally struggling to find a test track of min 2-3 miles somewhere in europe to continue our testing schedule.

Will keep you posted of any progress .

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 08:18:36 PM »
Fabio
Wow looks like great progress, it's always good to be able to check out the systems at lower and controlled speeds. The chute looks good and is flying at the proper elevation behind the car. Keep in mind that more tow line may be needed at speed. The high speed chutes can get mixed up with the low speed chutes without the proper distance between the canopys. Every car is different and it's just part of the learning curve with a new car. Keep up the good work and testing. Hope you can find a longer test ground. Thanks for your updates.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 08:44:12 PM »
Marvelous!  I wonder how many parachutes have been used at Monza!

The VW test track at Ehra-Lessien has a 9km straight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehra-Lessien (but you probably knew that).

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2011, 05:06:08 AM »
Mike

I think many tens of years ago there was a drag racing demonstration at Monza which involved a large number of British cars from Santa Pod, so there will have been chutes galore then.  And before you ask for relevance ........ the jet car Vampire that was there now holds the outright UK land speed record at over 300 mph.

Fabio now faces the problem of all European fast teams that apart from perhaps some two mile long military airfields we do not have the length of test tracks needed before shipping off to the States.

Malcolm UK
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline fabio montani

• New folks
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2011, 05:08:11 PM »
Hello

After a lot of painting , nickel-chrome plating , aluminium anodizing and polishing we just started gus gus final assembly.

Our schedule is tight ,as usual in these situations, as we must have everything ready and packed end of may for shipping to long beach and trucking to SLC-Wendover.

Keep working to see you guys....

Ciao

Offline jangleguy

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2011, 12:57:30 AM »
Wow. Looking good, Fabio! Good luck getting it all to fit into the container! Want me to send you a shoehorn and a can of WD-40?
Scotty
Tyre Friars Hot Rod Gang   http://scottygossonexposed.blogspot.com/

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2011, 12:37:53 PM »
...from the land of the Birfcage Maserati  :lol:

Nice chassis work!

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ