Author Topic: Black Lightning 2011 attempt  (Read 55183 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Black Lightning 2011 attempt
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 01:43:31 PM »
Yep-- :?--that is the LSR special construction positition-- :-D--sitting there waiting for it to tell you what it wants  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 12:07:07 AM »
Yep-- :?--that is the LSR special construction positition-- :-D--sitting there waiting for it to tell you what it wants  :cheers:

WOW, you know I never really thought about it but that is profound.... Sooner or later it will tell you what is next.  I think I'll grab a beer and go listen to the liner...
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 12:16:36 AM »
I have spent many hours in that position contemplating and listening to the metal whisper to me.

That is a profound statement and will be instantly recognized by any one why has engaged in a long one off project. They all will tell you what they need if you will just take the time to listen. Then sometimes what they are telling you, something you don't want to hear, like "this is not going to work - start over, and re-design this bracket!"

Larry

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 09:44:48 AM »
 Hopefully my explanation is understandable... I know what I mean...  :-o  :-D

Yes it is.

The rear frame section is now a stressed frame member. Who am I to advise the great MAX ?
But I would look at strengthening the lower frame tubes(triangulation and bracing) just behind the drive sprocket!
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 09:53:46 AM »
:?  this comes under the heading of wanting to know or understand---why behind instead of just in front?  Behind would be in compression from chain drive forces in front would be in tension---inquiring mind would like to gain insights  :-P
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 10:08:22 AM »
:?  this comes under the heading of wanting to know or understand---why behind instead of just in front?  Behind would be in compression from chain drive forces in front would be in tension---inquiring mind would like to gain insights  :-P

I was thinking of entire chassis flex under loading pulling on the lower tube where in joins the vertical tube (just behind the drive sprocket!)
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 08:27:36 PM »
Knowing Max, if the situation calls for more gussets, you will eventually see them. Never known him to under-build anything.  Look close at that tire.. it came off Al Teague's streamliner.
John
John

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 09:02:12 AM »

I was thinking of entire chassis flex under loading pulling on the lower tube where in joins the vertical tube (just behind the drive sprocket!)

There's a part missing in the photo.  When installed it negates any flex of the vertical tube just behind the drive sprocket.  This part is a quite robust outboard carrier bearing that bolts to the transmission.  A quarter inch steel plate fits in the shoulder of the outboard carrier bearing made from 7075 T6.  The down tube is flanged and the quarter inch aluminum is bolted to the flange.  Zero flex on vertical down tube.  The lower tube and upper bi-angled tubing is 1 1/2" diameter, .090 wall chrome molley tubing.  If you can picture an "A" frame with the bottom legs separated outboard by 1 1/2" on each side, and the pull or stress point an additional 1 1/2" inboard; for a total of the inboard stress point--3".  Which makes it pretty much impossible for athort ship flex.  Up and down flex is negated by the upper frame tubing being triangulated to the circular athort ship frame tubing.  The design employs the rear hub axle as a stress member for tying the six frame tubes together. 

I've tested the flex by C clamping the installed chain.  I feel that I achieved more stress with this test than would be applied under heavy acceleration load.  I was unable to detect any flex whatsoever in the design.  Of course there's the next step, and that would be the Great White Dyno.

See you guys on the salt.

Max

Offline TouringComet

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered streamliner
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 10:34:26 PM »
Look close at that tire.. it came off Al Teague's streamliner.

And, from Art Arfons before that, isn't that the story I heard?

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 10:53:56 PM »
I am impressed by his dedication to bench grinders.

FREUD

Bench grinders.  The CNC machines of the finacially chalenged.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 11:10:14 PM »
...or belt sanders.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 11:39:39 PM »
"And, from Art Arfons before that, isn't that the story I heard?"

I think you've got that right Max.

Hope this is the year.
John

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 11:22:54 PM »
I went to Wichita to rescue my engine parts from the shop that repaired it's indigestion problem. Stainless was gracious enough to offer me a place to sleep, (Thanks Stainless). Today we went to Max's shop to check his liners progress and as usual, it seems, LOL, Stainless forgot his camera and Max was sitting there waiting for the bike to talk some more. Some progress has been made since the last pictures, but I didn't have a camera either. We had a interesating conversation with Max.
 Then we went and looked at the liner Tom Hannah is building. That is also a work of art.

Thanks Guys
Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 12:27:56 AM »

WOW, you know I never really thought about it but that is profound.... Sooner or later it will tell you what is next.  I think I'll grab a beer and go listen to the liner...
 :cheers:
I have spent many hours in that position contemplating and listening to the metal whisper to me.

That is a profound statement and will be instantly recognized by any one why has engaged in a long one off project. They all will tell you what they need if you will just take the time to listen. Then sometimes what they are telling you, something you don't want to hear, like "this is not going to work - start over, and re-design this bracket!"

Larry

I miss that part, sitting there for hours staring at it.Hoping inspiration would sneak up behind me a strike me firmly....

If everything we made or bought was right the first time and I hadn't spent all that time sitting there staring at it It would have cost next to nothing and been built in no time.....badly. Instead it cost a lot , took ages aaaaaand................. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2011, 09:41:44 AM »
Well I finally made it to Max's with the camera.  Max has gone mad! OK, not really, here are a couple of pictures of the progress.

Max has removed almost everything that is removable to clean and paint, the interior tub is out, the tranny will be coming out, everything is out.  Max is putting a little more steel bracing in the tub area, although I didn't get a picture of that.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O