Author Topic: Black Lightning 2011 attempt  (Read 55419 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Black Lightning 2011 attempt
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2011, 08:55:34 AM »
Here's a couple of the shifter and linkage... the air cylinder does the work, the linkage still needs the electrical sequence switch attached. 
It may still look very crowded in there, but actually Max has a big box of stuff that is not getting used... several water tanks and pumps.  He decided the clutch should not be water cooled, last year the water and oil mix after a seal leaked let it slip.  A hot iron clutch should burn a little oil without the help of water to spread it around.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2011, 09:09:24 AM »
The drive sprocket cover has a carrier bearing to support the load on the output shaft.  630 race chain will use BG Chain lube.

The side car frame is attached, I suspect the duct tape tire will not make a run...

The staging table... easier than picking them out of the pile on the floor...  most of these covers, brackets and braces go on the motor... Oops, the front is not ready to run, Max needs to install the new steering dampener, the old one was sliding too easily, the adjustments frozen by exposure to you know what....  :roll:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2011, 09:28:08 AM »
Max says the easy part is next on the to do list...

More to come when I can get over there.  Seems like Max is working faster than usual, but actually he is working at his regular steady pace, just the pictures are farther apart due to a little construction I have been doing at my house.  The outside of the shop is finally closed in.  BTW, consturction is not recommended as an old man's sport.... my knee is killing me from so many trips up the ladder and most of the cuts and slices from working the metal roof are starting to heal...  :|
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline sabat

« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2011, 10:17:12 AM »
Thanks for the great pics and updates  :cheers:

Nice looking construction work! 

Offline Freud

« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2011, 11:53:10 AM »
Will that type construction survive tornados?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2011, 11:51:48 PM »
Our hope is the bike will survive 300 MPH winds (speed generated) on the salt....  :-D

and that we never find out if the shop will live through a tornado... 
Stainless

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2011, 12:46:19 AM »
How is the motor for the Bockscar? Are we going to install it this weekend?  :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2011, 08:39:42 AM »
Looking good, Stainless. Way better than last time I saw it.
You won't know what to do with all the extra room, weeellll after seeing all your STUFF, you will know what to do with it, but then again, maybe there won't be any extra room. LOL

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2011, 10:17:57 AM »
has your wife given you a performance deadline :-o  and that is your "Golden Parachute" saftey net to keep you from becoming a homeless old lsr racer???
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 02:30:57 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2011, 12:48:50 AM »
Well it is about 900 SF and I get almost 600 of it, the remaining part keeps me living in the house with he deck I stood on to take the pics....  :-o but this is the scooter thread and Max is progressing. 
I went by and helped Max put the motors on the bench so he could work on them a little easier.  Sorry no pictures of anything new, but there will be more in a week.... or so
Stainless

Offline little max

« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2011, 02:43:09 PM »
 Right now they have 11 miles of dry salt,Yea!!!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2011, 09:45:57 PM »
And now back to the real building project....

Max is working on the motors, the frame and the peripherals are done for the most part, well maybe a few loose ends and a little body work and paint

so on to the motors... this the case half that ties the 2 motors together.  Two years ago when the chain broke and busted these cases Max pressed it back together and welded it up.  Some cracks came back... sooooo Max cleaned it all up, ground out the welds and the patch welds, lined it all back up and then got it welded.  The guy did a fine job without warping everything.

These are some of the cracked spots that were rewelded
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2011, 10:03:38 PM »
Warpage is important because this case mounts to that one, and you see that BIG seal?  That is one of the clutch seals, and of course it is modified, cutting the metal cup thinner. so the alignment is critical.

Last one is a few more parts back from powdercoat... the jugs are now ready, the case covers are ready, and soon the repaired case will also be black and ready for assembly.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2011, 10:25:45 PM »
Let's look at the clutch a little...
Last year the seal that goes in the middle popped loose, leaked oil on the plates and mixed with the cooling water to caused slippage.  This year it gets a high temp seal and no cooling water.  This bottom plate will be dimpled to reduce the contact area and hopefully some of the heat transfer to the basket and seal.

Last year between the Bub and WoS Max modified the clutch for an additional plate. 

But the really big news on the clutch is the pressure plate.  The one on the right is the old aluminum one.  Sometimes it warped under engagement pressure and heat, making adjustment and consistency difficult.  The new one on the right is steel.  Max hopes it will make the clutch a little more manageable.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2011, 10:43:58 PM »
Remember the bodywork I mentioned a few posts back?  Max is paving over the skids since they are not required with the sidecar.  The other goal in body mods is being able to remove the bottom half without removing the hack.  It takes a lot time and makes between round service harder to complete in the prescribed turn around time. 

And this is Mike Shea, from Maryland, Mike flew in to help Max get the liner ready for this year.   OK, you will have a hard time recognizing him when you see him on the salt, I'll get a shot with his face in it sometime.
Stainless