Author Topic: Black Lightning 2011 attempt  (Read 55184 times)

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
Re: Black Lightning 2011 attempt
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2011, 07:30:08 PM »
That is an interesting steering linkage.  Is it similar to the setup that Don Vesco had on the motorcycle version of the liner? :?  He used a setup to prevent bump steer when steering into the wind at the cut in the mountains, that used to create some bad wobbles at speed.
That is one great looking vehicle :-D I hope it goes as well as it looks, should run some big numbers.

Matt Guzzetta

Actually Matt, Don Vesco was my mentor when I first started this project some 22 years ago.  The steering is of his design.  Sure miss that guy.

Max
P.S.
Don Vesco was the first one to take a ride in the Vincent streamliner.  The year was 1996. 

Offline MattGuzzetta

« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2011, 09:26:46 PM »
 :-D Thanks for the quick reply and the information.  I was lucky to be Don's partner in Don Vesco Products and the Zero bump steer system was designed to eliminate the wobbling problem caused by counter steering into the wind at speed, the suspension moves and you get the wobble.  You can eliminate the bump steer when going straight, but when you steer, all bets are off..... . The patent #4,610,461 shows a variety of ways to use the system and if anyone is interested in getting complete control of wheel steering in all of the suspension envelope, you are welcome to use the info.  It does require some special u-joint-bearing interfaces, but that is nothing for this crowd.   Glad to see that it is being used to make your ride safer! 

Again, beautiful liner! :cheers: 
Matt Guzzetta

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2011, 12:18:28 AM »
Interesting!

"A steering and suspension mechanism for a wheeled vehicle incorporating bump steer control. The mechanism comprises a pair of spaced apart universal joints one of which is fixedly located and the other positionably supporting the wheel axle. A spacer member positions the universal joints at a...

Inventor: Matthew Guzzetta
Primary Examiners: Everett G. Diederiks, Jr."

http://www.google.com/patents?id=R0Q2AAAAEBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=4,610,461&hl=en&ei=h70CTsHWHYrUtQPawvSVBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAA

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2011, 05:19:43 PM »
 :wink:

Things moving along pretty good this past week.  A lotta stuff bolted on to the frame.  Maybe we kin get Stainless over hear in a day or two and talk him into taking some pics to get on this thread, so those interested can take a looksee as to what's going on here in Wichita. 

As you probably all know Stainless is occupied right now with the build of a pretty fantastic shop.

Max

Offline TURK

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2011, 05:35:54 PM »
Greetings Group: I just took my grandson Andy over to show him Max's streamliner,he was well impressed to say the least. Max ever gracious gave Andy a Black Lightening tee shirt,he was thrilled. Progress is moving right along on the liner. Looks like the Black Lightening will be "BLACK" again.  Group let me tell you Max has outdone all previous attempts,this thing is gorgeous,never better. Workmanship and finish is not to be excelled by any other. This should be "the year"for MAD Max, president of the F.O.F.F. club for those of you who don't know and how could you, I just started it. That stands for "Fast Old Farts Forever"---See ya on the salt----Turk
Kansas Margareta,mix methanol & salt add one Harley

Offline little max

« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2011, 08:07:44 AM »
Turk, I agree the streamliner looks magnificant. The build is going real well. I can't wait for stainless to download some more photos so you all can see what we are talking about. It's definately Back in Black!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2011, 11:26:15 PM »
Some of you may remember way back when the black lightning was black.  Here if your sneak preview of the body work for this years attempt.

I will try to post some of the technical parts tomorrow... being a framers helper is wearing my ass out  :-o but I almost have a roof over the shop again
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2011, 03:03:36 AM »
The smile is well deserved Max. Your liner is going to look AWSOME this year. Good Luck!  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline sabat

« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2011, 08:40:40 AM »
Nice!!!!!!!

Offline little max

« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2011, 10:12:45 AM »
Stainless could you take a few pics of the motor breakdown and buildup for my video I'm doing.             Thanks Max.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2011, 10:44:20 PM »
Stainless could you take a few pics of the motor breakdown and buildup for my video I'm doing.             Thanks Max.

Sure Max Jr, of course your dad will have to start working on the motors first... OK, they have their heads off, but I know he will be starting the total redo soon.

In the mean time... here's a little more, first we look at the fire system and the C02 system.   The black bottle on top is the C02, it used to have the regulator, gauges and fill port hose up with bottle.  It was plagued with constant leaks from the fill port and bottle shutoff.   
The fire bottles have be refurbished and inspected with the info easy to see from the top so Drew won't get eye strain trying to see them with a mirror.

Here is where the Halon fogs the motor area... follow the magic fingers... not the toes... Max sure likes the carpet in the garage.

Here is the new location for the C02 regulator and fill port, nestled between the Fuel tank and the not yet installed oil tank.

Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2011, 11:07:18 PM »
In this first one we have the ignition system battery and the externally actuated fire systems. 

Here is the "motors eye view" of the externally actuated bottles, the motor bottle on the right at the end of the finger.  The riders bottle discharges into the braided hose that takes it up front.

From the other side we see the water tank has been installed and the water hoses to the "muffs" have been routed and secured.  The back tire, brake and fender is waiting on someone to help Max bleed the brakes, then they are ready.  We also see the water pumps, pump battery and the parachute solenoid.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2011, 07:49:50 AM »
Couldn't get in to take a riders view  :roll: , but here is what Hartmut and Donny see after the handlebars are locked down and before the canopy is lowered, all that is left in the cockpit is to put the windscreen on. 
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2011, 08:29:58 AM »
WOW... WOW... WOW  :-o
The front of the bike is done, new windscreen, fresh black paint
It looks really great for a race bike, looking more like a museum quality restoration.... Max says he is not changing the bike design again so everything is getting a good paint and finish to protect against the salt
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2011, 08:41:16 AM »
The Transmission is in after a full disassembly, gears look new, bearings now also look new... Max uses 2nd, 3rd and 4th in this custom case "rock crusher" Muncie

Yes the chain is also new and the alignment is done, this end is ready to race... 'cept for body, the bottom half is being modified to be able to leave the sidecar on for all service, cutting down on turn around time.
Stainless