Author Topic: Black Lightning 2011 attempt  (Read 55418 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Black Lightning 2011 attempt
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2011, 10:13:53 AM »
Looks nice. I like the idea of the contrasting colors for latches. Learn something every day. Trent

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 08:19:37 PM »
.... here's the reassembled rear wheel with a NOS 700 x 18 Firestone.... fresh from Art Arfons record attempts through Al Teague.  OK, maybe not brand new but it still looks new.  Should be good for 600...

Got an e-mail yesterday from Drew, who will be one of the tech officials for the upcoming Bub Meet.  It seems that there may be an issue with the Firestone rear tire due to it's age, not it's condition, or it's capability.  Drew gave me a heads up, saying that there are LSR tires available.  It sounded to me that he was giving me time to make the change.  This is of great concern in order for the Vincent streamliner to run the Bub Meet.  This tire is capable of 400+mph speeds without any problem even though it's forty years old.  My liner is an extremely small package.  Any tire change would require extensive modifications, not only in the frame, but in the body.  It is impossible for me to make these changes before the Bub Meet. 

I know at age 72, I would never make the changes, but would just have to shelve the bike.  That's a lot to ask after 22 years of working on this project, which I started in 1989.  If the tire situation isn't resolved quickly, I'll be forced to pull my entry fee from the Bub Meet and attend the WOS.  Last year at the Bub Meet and at the WOS there was no trouble with running the 40 yr. old Firestone.  This year it's 41 years old and it seems to be a problem.  What's going on?

BTW three years ago unofficially that tire went 275 mph.  Last year we set the SCTA side car record at 191 mph.  Fastest recorded speed last year was 205 mph with no problem whatsoever.

Max

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2011, 12:04:13 AM »
What is the Diameter? will a M/T 26" work?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline gmax137

• New folks
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2011, 07:09:08 AM »
Max, is there something in the rulebook about tire age?  Or is it just up to the tech inspector's judgment?
Gregg

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2011, 07:56:59 AM »

What size rim is the M/T 26"?
Max  they are 18" (sparky)

I'll have to tell you Sparky, this tire situation is very upseting.  I've been around racing a long time and the tire that I have on the back of the liner is capable of speeds far greater than my bike will attain.  And furthermore, it's as good as a new M/T, probably better.  Everyone should know that if I thought for one minute that that tire was a safety issue, I wouldn't run the motorcycle.  My riders, Hartmut and Don are my long time friends.  I've known both of them for years.  In the case of Don Angel, 50 years.  There's no way I would endanger the lives of these two men.   

Max
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:21:09 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2011, 08:04:35 AM »

I've never been able to find anything in any of the rule books which stipulates the age of a tire,  and says that if this age is exceeded it is no longer acceptable.  It just isn't in the rule books.

I answered Drew's e-mail first.  He didn't reply so I called him last night.  Left a message.  Hopefully he'll get back to me today.  Hartmut Weidelich, who was scheduled to ride the Bub Meet, notified me that if the Bub Meet is off, due to the tire situation, he won't be able to attend the World of Speed, or any other meet this year.  What a bummer.

Max

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2011, 08:52:41 AM »
Max, I hope you can get the tire situation resolved quickly!

That's a beautiful build, and it would be a shame if it didn't run because of a tire.

Good luck.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2011, 10:53:54 AM »
 :cheers: :-D

YippyYippyYea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got through talking to Drew.  I don't know if offering him a steak dinner had anything to do with it, but the Firestone is a go for the Bub Meet. 

The steak thing is a joke of course.

See ya at Bub,

Max

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2011, 02:19:59 PM »
Congrats! That's awesome news! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline AHG

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2011, 02:50:20 PM »
"The steak thing is a joke of course."
Maybe to you it is, but don't surprised when I show up around dinner time!!
...and, apple pie with some ice cream on top I definitely won't refuse.
:roll:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 02:53:01 PM by AHG »
~ I CAN COUNT MY LIFE ON ONE HAND ~
Faith, Family, Friends, & Fast Motorcycles

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2011, 03:46:57 PM »
After you hit up Max you need to go see Santa and get some cheese to drizzle on top of the steak!!

Offline little max

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2011, 12:24:50 PM »
 :-DGreat news ....Dad you buy the steak and I`ll Pitch in for the pie. :-D

Offline Luckyontheducky

« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2011, 09:11:30 AM »
Are there any special steps to keeping a tire viable for 40 years?  Daily massages and oil rubdowns?  Cool & dark enviroments or what?

Offline joea

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2011, 10:41:21 AM »
..and what does the manufacturer say or recommend for running 40 yr
old tires near their rated speed ie..400 mph..?..they might have some good
engineering feedback that all of us could learn from..

go getem Max..really hoping to see runs over 300..

Joe :)

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2011, 11:33:55 AM »
Store in a bag after dressing them with pure carnuba wax.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/