Author Topic: 2010 Season Highlights  (Read 7672 times)

Offline dieselgeek

Re: 2010 Season Highlights
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 10:08:44 AM »
Definitely the Cummins-Beck-Davidson roadster breaking 300mph.  That is absolutely insane!!

I'll let my bias show by nominating the A/Pro record bump of about 14mph, to 235.xx mph.  Not shabby for an N/A A motor in a huge pig of a car.  (#1001)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 02:21:23 PM »
The coverage of Cook's Shootout was a highlight.  That was a lot of work and it was worth it.

I really enjoyed covering the Shootout.  It was the most exciting event I've covered...all the participants included, but the Ack Attack story was just incredible...not to mention out the back door at 394 in 4th gear.
http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2010/shootout/pix/Welcome.html

The 911 roadster's 300+ record is the other that stands out in my mind, mainly because of the sound that thing made...heard from the starting line.  I dunno if the driver hit the nitrous button at the 2 or what, but all of a sudden, what had been an beautiful-sounding roar became the scream of a demon.  I still get chicken skin thinking about it.  I wish I could have captured the sound with my photos.
http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2010/wf/pix/Welcome.html

Finally there was a personal side to it for me.  Not only did I bring the "Red Green Special" tower trailer:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2010/sw/pix/20100811_0004r8_jpg.html but I got to race on the salt for the first time:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2010/wos/pix/20100916%20408r8_jpg.html  We only ran 112 in the 130 club, but we had a BLAST!  If all the planets line up, I'll have a much faster car this coming year. 

Btw, the redneck tower served its purpose.  I got the shots I'd set out to get.  They'll be seen later.  Yeah, it was a POS, but it worked.  :)

I wish I could mention all the very special moments...the Nish liner running consistently over 400 and the tears of joy in their pits afterward.  The persistence of the Poteet & Main crew after blowing 3 turbo impellers out the exhaust, breaking more drivetrain components than I could count.  The Joker chopper tryin SO hard to get into the 130 club and coming up just a little bit short.  The team spirit of Salt Cat Racing.  The safety of all the meets.  The hard work of all everyone who helped to make all the meets possible.  The wonderful opportunity for me to work with SSS and Nancy to cover the meets.  It was a great year for me. 

For those who've wondered, I'll have more photos from the events in "The Rest" sections of my website as soon as I can get 'em.  I'm finishing up the last road race event of the year at Miller's (pity, but I won't be going back next year...very little racing on their calendar) and then I'll go back to work on the LSR photos.

Offline JoshH

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 12:41:14 PM »
I certainly agree its been an amazing year. But I would have to vote for the Spectre Streamliners achievements. I’ve been part of the program so I’m biased but what the hell…

We first ran this car at World Finals 09’ and with Kenny Hoover at the wheel it went 340’ish practically off the trailer; assembly of the car was only completed 48 hours before. Shortly after that meet Amir started scoping out his goals for 10’ season. But once Amir saw the list of the guys that had gone 4 the goal was clear… His reply – “Only 10 guys. That's it. Incredible.”

Then in less then a year he achieved that lofty goal; almost taking an FIA record in the process. Not just any records either, ones owned by true pioneers, Burkland and Teague. We all were amazed. If you look at the guys on that list and the years they’ve spent getting there it really puts things in perspective. Still gives me chills.

Oh yeah, did I mention this was a 70’s CAD engine on gas, sheesh… The technical guys behind this feat are Performance Fabrication in San Carlos, CA – 650.595.3663 and the CAD Company of Albuquerque, NM - www.cad500parts.com . Give these guys a call if you want some 400 mph mojo.

Anyway, that’s my vote and I have to say that I feel truly privileged to have been a part of it.

Josh
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:45:00 PM by JoshH »

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 12:58:08 PM »
I certainly agree its been an amazing year. But I would have to vote for the Spectre Streamliners achievements. I’ve been part of the program so I’m biased but what the hell…

We first ran this car at World Finals 09’ and with Kenny Hoover at the wheel it went 340’ish practically off the trailer; assembly of the car was only completed 48 hours before. Shortly after that meet Amir started scoping out his goals for 10’ season. But once Amir saw the list of the guys that had gone 4 the goal was clear… His reply – “Only 10 guys. That's it. Incredible.”

Then in less then a year he achieved that lofty goal; almost taking an FIA record in the process. Not just any records either, ones owned by true pioneers, Burkland and Teague. We all were amazed. If you look at the guys on that list and the years they’ve spent getting there it really puts things in perspective. Still gives me chills.

Oh yeah, did I mention this was a 70’s CAD engine on gas, sheesh… The technical guys behind this feat are Performance Fabrication in San Carlos, CA – 650.595.3663 and the CAD Company of Albuquerque, NM - www.cad500parts.com . Give these guys a call if you want some 400 mph mojo.

Anyway, that’s my vote and I have to say that I feel truly privileged to have been a part of it.

Josh

Josh, you guys kicked major ass.  For sure!!!

NOt sure if you saw it, but here's the original build thread dating back almost 4 years!    http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,2002.0.html

Amazing accomplishments.  It's good to see you guys finish the project and exceed all expectations.      :cheers:

Offline JoshH

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 01:19:53 PM »
NOt sure if you saw it, but here's the original build thread dating back almost 4 years!    http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,2002.0.html

Yeah, really a different car at this point, not much left of the old car but parts of the driver compartment and nose cone are the same. The big turbos were also the same till one expired at the Shootout.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 01:39:57 PM »
The hundreds of entries at all 4 Bonneville events could all have season highlights...A 400 mph run or record may be spectacular for the novice (or seasoned veteran) especially naturally aspirated or gasoline in any configuration but a bettering a record in any class by one of our entrants is definitely a "season highlight". I especially look to older records which are raised knowing that the previously set record must have been a tough one to beat.
Anyone finding a "hat" at the end of a second run probably had a "Personal Highlight" whether it be red or blue like Dave Davidsons.
Since most of the accolades for LSR come from within............Here! Here! to anyone who tries to compete in any and every class........................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline dw230

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 02:00:08 PM »
"Here! Here! to anyone who tries to compete in any and every class...JD"

I agree with JD. I have the upmost respect of anyone who puts wheels on the track and tries their best to either set a record or run their personal best. To fulfill a dream or a goal is one of the most satisfying things a person can do. To be able to share the accomplishment or even the attempt with loved ones and friends makes the experience all the better.

My 2010 highlight is being able to attend the events and share with the competitors,
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 03:04:49 PM »
Yeah, really a different car at this point, not much left of the old car but parts of the driver compartment and nose cone are the same. The big turbos were also the same till one expired at the Shootout.

Speakin of nose cones, did ya leave the battle-scarred nose on it after the Shootout?  I heard someone say, "Yeah.  Battle scars.  Chicks dig 'em."  Amir seemed to think it would be a good idea to leave the damaged nose on for SEMA or other shows. 

One good use for the nose was found:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2010/shootout/pix/20100922%20167r8_jpg.html  It was the only helmet that Pork Pie's nose could fit in.

Offline JoshH

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 03:22:28 PM »
Speakin of nose cones, did ya leave the battle-scarred nose on it after the Shootout?

Of course! SEMA and PRI so far, its the showcase of the Spectre booth. Minimal cleanup was done to keep it as race authentic as possible.

I got a real kick out of the reactions of people at SEMA, how often do you see a 38 foot streamliner with twin turbo cadilac? The facial expressions were priceless.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 09:48:30 PM »
Let's not forget Landracing.com's unprecedented coverage of these events, including the audio webcast. 

Slim, you and the crew brought it home to us, and we're very grateful.

Thanks, Chief!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline gotzy

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 12:07:53 PM »
There's some extremely good acheivements there.

Another one I think is quite outstanding is the Ro Yale Contrivance Engineering team from Texas hitting 284 with an AA motor GMR.

I've tried to follow this car over the years and their acheivements have been staggering.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:02:32 PM by gotzy »

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 12:48:21 PM »
Watching the Spirit of Rett take the Golden rod record was a priceless experience and to get a picture of the car in the traps on its record run did not hurt either. It was great to see such well executed effort take such a worthy record. Those of us who were in the spectator area watching on that run, were talking about it for hours about how there were only a  handful of people on the planet that actually saw the car go through the lights, and we were lucky enough to be in that small group. Brings goose bumps even today.

It was also spectacular getting to know The family and friends of Rocky and the Ack attack motorcycle and see that fantastic last minute run with a 394 exit speed. There was a spontaneous cheer from the entire crowd assembled when the times for that run were announced.

This is not in any way to take away from the other cars that ran, Speed Demon went for broke in grand style -- sign of a true racer, Spectre was VERY impressive and I expect to see more records from them. I also was very very pleased to see Mike Nish get his record and the absolute joy their crew showed when the car lived up to their expectations.

My hat is off to all the competitors big and small fast and slow who made the effort and put on a great show for those of us who have not had the opportunity to run yet.

Larry

Offline gotzy

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 04:05:26 PM »

The Shootout must have been amazing, very jealous!

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 05:09:10 PM »
I've known Amir for about 4 years now and really congratulate him and his race team on what they accomplished this year with the Spectre streamliner on GAS and going over 400 mph.  I can't wait to see what they do this year on the salt!!   :cheers:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine