Author Topic: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester  (Read 303413 times)

Offline panic

• My tech papers
Re: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 11:22:09 AM »
At some point in the future, moderators might try to distinguish between an ad hominem, unprovoked and completely irrelevant personal attack, as opposed to a response to such.
Hint: one comes first.

Offline Tman

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 11:24:41 AM »
SSS, thanks for a great forum, I will not let one person turn my replies sour. Happy New Year :cheers:

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 11:33:14 AM »
At some point in the future, moderators might try to distinguish between an ad hominem, unprovoked and completely irrelevant personal attack, as opposed to a response to such.
Hint: one comes first.

From Wikipedia:
[edit] Ad hominem abuseAd hominem abuse (also called personal abuse or personal attacks) usually involves insulting or belittling one's opponent in order to invalidate his or her argument, but can also involve pointing out factual but ostensible character flaws or actions which are irrelevant to the opponent's argument. This tactic is logically fallacious because insults and even true negative facts about the opponent's personal character have nothing to do with the logical merits of the opponent's arguments or assertions.

Examples:

"You can't believe Jack when he says the proposed policy would help the economy. He doesn't even have a job."
"Candidate Jane's proposal about zoning is ridiculous. She was caught cheating on her taxes in 2003."

Happy New Year Everyone.   :cheers:
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 11:59:29 AM »
An ad hominem attack also does not necessarily mean that the victim/recipient was correct (and the aggressor's opposing view was wrong), merely that his remark was not appropriate. Rude people can be right, it just doesn't happen as often (anger is substituted when fact isn't available).

Legitimate (but not necessarily welcome) comments, not specific to this project but in general:
"What you're trying to do will not work"
"That's not legal for that class"
"I've dealt with them, and I wasn't happy"
"Your project is not very competitive for the class, and here's why:"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 12:01:51 PM »
Yes, that's better.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2011, 12:17:08 PM »
I really do try (stop laughing!) to explain why when I comment - but only if the remark made suggests that the speaker will understand what I'm saying.
Example:
Q: "Should I run a 6" rod in my 302 SBF?"
A: "No, not enough deck height to allow a piston with any stroke you would use", but the question is serious - he just hasn't done the math

Example of a remark where I would make only a short response:

Q: "Should I run an 8" rod in my 302 SBF??"
A: "No" - he has no idea what this is, he's just recycling data from somewhere else

There is also, in my opinion, a significant difference between these caveats:
IIRC means it's believed to be true (not my opinion), but I can't place it
AFAIK is a bit weaker
IMHO is more subjective
"2 + 3 = 5" is not an opinion, whether you agree with it or not, and we all have our own favorites.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 12:48:13 PM »
Is there anyway possible to get back to the "build diary" aspect of this forum. Piss and moan,  guys, let it go and get on with the sharing of info. :|
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 12:49:57 PM »
For cryin' out loud-- let it alone!

Regards, Neil
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 01:09:43 PM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 01:11:11 PM »
Happy New Year to you and Linda, Bill.  I hope all goes well for both of you in the coming twelve months.  Enjoy each and every day, okay?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 04:42:25 PM »
BTW, to anyone that wants to reply, my monitor is about dead and am new to this camera. I can tell that a couple pictures are fuzzy but do they all look bad? I simply cant tell, monitor lost red I think. Everything is in shades of blue and black or yellow!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2011, 05:15:34 PM »
Tman, send a few directly to me so I can give you my semi-professional and yet not-very-biased opinion.  Use the email addy on the bottom of the post.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2011, 05:27:59 PM »
Tman,
Skipping past all of the finger pointing, he said this, I said that BS. What is your plan for the shape of your lakester? Looking at the nose config that you have shaped I would guess some sort of rear engined car similar to the Ferguson's car that presently hold several of the "X" class records. Fill us in on what you are planning. When you run engines that have limited hp you need to give them all of the help you can by using good aero design. In the case of the Ferguson's car it is not very aero but they do know how to make some serious horse power from a six cylinder and if your car is just a copy of what they have done then it becomes a horse power race and you would probably come in second against them. Show us some of your thoughts and we can really start to spread some serious BS!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Tman

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
Rex,  not really copying any one car. This is a composite of several cars that have influence me.  This car will be on the ground, not like a bellytank. A couple folks here have chimed in with ideas and help on the aero.  Influences? Costella,Main,Zipp and others as well as Fighter design.

Car will be mid engine, smaller and shorter than some. frontal of the nose is VERY small as it sits. Hope to keep teh rest of the car as minimal as can be.

I am just getting started on a good scale model that we will tweak in a mini low-buck wind tunnel. The project 550 made me decide to do that for sure.

Now I gotta expand my fiberglass skills and move on. The dummy engine will be here in the next couple weeks, need to get the steel ordered.

In the end I am just a guy with a lifelong dream to run on the salt (age 41) thanks to dads old HRMs and that cover of the PEEK Bros Model A! We are not bucks up but pretty creative and I am building a good support group in this area. 

Offline RichFox

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2011, 06:53:20 PM »
Just a question about what intake you are going to be running. I made a mechanical, mostly Hilborn fuel injector for Ray Hedstrom to use on his 261. But health issues pervented him from using it. I gave it to him. Perhaps he would lend it to you, if that is in line with your plans. I made a few of these things and they seem to work for me. Other people I have made them for must think they look good as they hang them on the wall. Picture attached. Just add one. They have to stick out farther on yours to clear the exhaust. 3 inches on Rays as I remember from the head to the base of the throttle body. 4 inches on my Plymouth.