Author Topic: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester  (Read 303402 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2011, 08:06:42 PM »
Still waiting on tubing. Found some areas of the nose plug that I reworked. Now I am busy using up old cans of paint to seal it up and get it ready for mold release.

Above it is sitting on top of the main rails, it will actually be attached to a sub structure in front of them. The front of the rails is where the front axle will mount, duh!

Offline Tman

« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2011, 01:16:41 PM »
I am pleased to announce a new addition to our team. Scotty Gosson AKA Jangleguy is going to be our beer fetcher and DD after we drink too much of said beer. Oh yeah, he can tune and fits the cockpit so he can play with the lakester as well.

I have had a couple adventures with the Gosson Bros over the years, some how they put up with me! I am glad to call them both friends.

Sorry for stealling your help Eric :-D

Offline Tman

« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2011, 12:50:05 AM »
Lots of small stuff that is not worthy of pictures, QC teardown and rebuild, etc.

But my little spawn has been helping on some stuff.

Safety is #1 here.

"helping"

Almost the end result, a small butterfly for The Spirit of South Dakota.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2011, 08:44:43 AM »
Ah, yet another great example of "get 'em while they're young!"  Cool work by a cool kid.  Congratulations.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2011, 09:53:41 PM »
Thanks Jon, I was in the shop helping dad when I was 4 as well and I just turned 42 on Sat. . Stuff like this is what kids need, too many metrosexuals as it is :-D  BTW, those are OSHA approved flip flops he is wearing! :-P

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2011, 10:40:53 PM »
Wonderful TMan!
 Wish I coulda got my kid  more interested in the day. He ended up with a masters in Physics and is a freakin' LAWYER and studies the functions of the BRAIN as a hobby! (But we are goin' to the Hot Rod Reunion together this weekend and LOVES El Mirage).

His sister, though, puts 10K miles on her BMW 1200 every year so she's close, and did used to sweep the old racecar shop. Thankfully she missed Jr Dragster by five years - I ain't got that much  dedication in my soul  to have done that program - even though we built a dozen or so for others.

Enuff kid braggin, g'nite!

5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Tman

« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2011, 05:48:45 PM »

He already has a 28 closed cab pickup and will get my 1st bike, an Indian 70cc dirtbike.

Wonderful TMan!
 Wish I coulda got my kid  more interested in the day. He ended up with a masters in Physics and is a freakin' LAWYER and studies the functions of the BRAIN as a hobby! (But we are goin' to the Hot Rod Reunion together this weekend and LOVES El Mirage).

His sister, though, puts 10K miles on her BMW 1200 every year so she's close, and did used to sweep the old racecar shop. Thankfully she missed Jr Dragster by five years - I ain't got that much  dedication in my soul  to have done that program - even though we built a dozen or so for others.

Enuff kid braggin, g'nite!

Offline Tman

« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2011, 07:56:43 PM »
Well, finally got the 1 5/8" tubing bought and hauled. Long story but 21 foot sticks are a pain when it involves borrowing equipment to haul it. Almost cried when the first suopplier was out. Luckily found a bunch at another place. :cheers: No pictures, we all know what round tube looks like. Now if only my tubey bendy pal was not at Bakersfield this weekend! :-(

Offline Tman

« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2011, 07:16:13 PM »
I am single for the week but have no camera, wife took it on her trip.

Todays work, got the wheel centers tapped out of a good set of steelies I had. Using the old ford BP centers from the 5"ers for the front wheels. Then, using the hoops for the wide five rears.

I NEED TO FIND 15x4 hoops however for my front wheels. Need them 12 5/8"  ID. I have a couple calls out but no answer for the weekend of course. Why am I making my own? Time VS money and I can insure that I have the runout nailed and that I don't have to wait for wheels. That and I am Norwegian and stubborn/frugal. Have new and really nice used parts here so I might as well use them!

I am looking for 4" hoops because M&H says that is the correct size for my 22x 3.5" front tires.

Also spent a fair amount of time on Bangshift today and got to see Les Davenport run!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 07:19:16 PM by Tman »

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2011, 07:32:53 PM »
Trent, measure Volkswagen Bug hoops.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Tman

« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2011, 07:38:16 PM »
Trent, measure Volkswagen Bug hoops.  :cheers: Wayno

Thanks Wayne. I will see what is local. Our yards here are so poor anymore I fear I just have to order new ones. May need to make some more calls during the work week. Miller Wheel, Ralleye America etc...........

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2011, 08:17:51 PM »
They're VW rims on our car....we used late model Ford centres .

Volvos ran narrow 15's too.

Now , I'm just being smart here but Skoda's had some skinny 15's too.

Anyone else in the top left corner of Europe make cars?

Oh yeah,

Maybe there's a Saab wheel in the 4-4.5 range

Dr G
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Freud

« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2011, 11:11:33 PM »
T man

How did Les do?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Tman

« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2011, 11:29:59 PM »
T man

How did Les do?

FREUD

He was in the show for tomorow and #2 as far as speed and ET. Damn fast for the smallest engine in the class!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.bangshift.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2011, 11:36:02 PM »
He was probably sand bagging.

FREUD
Since '63