Author Topic: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester  (Read 303375 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2011, 12:23:57 AM »
Would a T5 stand up ?

From what I have heard from experienced folks.....no.  But with the way folks hammer the T5s I would think it would be fine on our low HP setup. I forget what 4th is? 5th usually is .78 or so..................What are you thinking Mr Hawking?

Offline Unkl Ian

« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2011, 12:08:49 PM »
There isn't much traction on Salt, which should help.
Probably depends on how much torque you will be making.

The T5 came with a variety of ratios.
I guess the answer is "a Secret" .

Offline Tman

« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2011, 03:15:32 PM »
I do have a T4 that was going into my Tudor but we feel that the Muncie may be a better choice long term, if/when we start playing with other engines.

Offline Tman

« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2011, 04:37:23 PM »
Dad just stopped by the office and reminded me that we also have a Saginaw 3spd.

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2011, 08:27:45 PM »
Anyone thinking about a T5 for the salt it can be done if HP is somewhat limited.

I originally did a T5 with .90:1 OD for the Merk and ran it for the first 4 years.  The fourth year I decided to try to use 5th gear.  HP was around 400 back then.  Don't know torque.
IT BROKE
At speed, the sound of a failing gear sounds like a shotgun going off.  I thought I was gonna run over the blowed up motor.

The OD gear is not supported at both ends and is the weakness. 

I switched to TREMAC, used only 4 gears and went faster.  Of course I had more power those later years..........

Rick

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2011, 11:08:20 PM »
 Tman,
      We exploded a T5 behind the antique Buick last year and switched to a TKO 600. No complaints so far. The T5 was a World class and it was third gear that let go. The new car is lighter so it should help take the stress off of the higher gears.
  Doug :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Tman

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2011, 12:29:10 AM »
Thanks guys for your input. At this point if I found a good T5 it would go in my A Tudor! Looking at GM 4spds still and a Saginaw 3 spd. Unless someone tells me the Saginaw is crap behind our vintage engine. Thinking of beefing it up like the roundy round guys do......................

Offline Stovebolt

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2011, 06:55:34 PM »
so what did you choose for a g'box?

c'mon, get those photo's downloaded, and more importantly, start mocking it up so we can start building..... :wink: :-D

Cheers,

Drewfus

P.S. send that QC over to me and I'll fix it for you, for your effort I'll even put it in my 34 coupe and make sure it works for you.... :-D

Drew, the QC is ready for new bearings and re-assembly. We are going for the most common box, a Mincie unless something more exotic shows up. I need to spring for a new camera.
Trent

i take it you won't be needing me to send ytou the shorty 3 speed saginaw I have here ;)
Its hard enough to be your age, let alone act it.

Offline Tman

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2011, 10:39:23 PM »
Crap, I forgot about that! And we are still open on Motor ideas. Tom is in charge of that part. I have a 235 AND a 261 block here, I like your stroker idea. I will talk to tom this weekend.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2011, 10:52:19 PM »
Since you cant streamline the wheels, have you thought of a 4WD system or a front wheel drive?  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Tman

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2011, 11:46:54 PM »
Since you cant streamline the wheels, have you thought of a 4WD system or a front wheel drive?  Tony

Tony, my pals in MT are doing the Strange days Front Drive tank. 4wd did not enter my mind. Good ideas, my brain is on a different track tho. BTW, reread your whole thread the other day, great reading!

Offline Tman

« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »
OK, had to throw away another 2nd hand camera. I have some parts pics. Doesn't look like I have been doing much, gathering parts never does get the glory of frame and chassis pics! Actually been organizing the shop, new to me toolboxes, making room for my Tudor AND the Lakester.

Above is Toms Wixski aftermarket valve cover. Well designed cast piece.

That is a pre-production Howe/Sweet rack in a slower ratio from my pal Frank Burrell in Michigan. He produced many of the Howe welded components over the years before his retirement many years ago. This rack was designed by Sweet and produced by Howe before Sweet went out on his own. It was destined for a Baja 1000 buggy that Frank never got to run..........hope we do him proud! I love a backstory!

Still looking for hoops like this with the extra safety bead but our rear centers made it!

My pal Jamie at HRI welded up the blown pinion support

lastely Kiwi Kev made a small shoe style gas pedal for the car, still need the return hoop and hinge, thanks Kev!

Offline Tman

« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2011, 02:27:25 PM »
Well, afte my recon trip to the salt and helping with the #416 truck we are back home and starting work in earnest. Advice from Glen and ohters in the chat confirmed what I had in my head that another trip to the salt was a good idea before I moved forward. Thanks for all the help and input so far! :cheers:

This shot shows my helper. The main rails are 2x3 .188 wall, 12' long. The angle does not show the taper of the frame well, it is 12" wide at the front a 22ish by the driver and coming back together some at the rear. These are the main rails with a WB of 144+. There is a nose section in front of this and a rear substructure for the chutes and other parts.

Still up in the air for a transmission. Something GM, I doubt I can find something exotic this first time around given our budget and experience level.

I hope to have the shoulder hoop bent this week. Then I can start laying out the other parts of the frame.

Offline Freud

« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2011, 02:49:15 PM »
Use the helper as the driver. It won't matter how small you make the frame he will be able to get out very fast.

That's impressive in tech.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Tman

« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2011, 02:58:27 PM »
Use the helper as the driver. It won't matter how small you make the frame he will be able to get out very fast.

That's impressive in tech.

FREUD

Thats funny Freud! Maybe I can use that air cylinder the Bockscar boys gave me and use it to EJECT him?!?!?! :-D