Author Topic: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester  (Read 304552 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester
« Reply #495 on: June 22, 2013, 05:06:12 PM »
Wow Trent it looks like you even have electricity in there. :-D I feel your pain. I'm a couple of weekeknds away from finishing our master bath remod. A 2 year project. Good thing Amy wanted the race car as well. :-D

We do in fact. I get some interesting looks when I tell folks it is a straw bale house. But, it has weathered 114mph gusts that blew a modular off its foundation out here.

Just got back from Toms new place. His shop is awesome so we have a second place to work on the car. I brought some house/shop warming beer and our local made Rhubarb Wine to christen the place. We talked Bonneville and engine plans. And since I have garage doors on my mind I made a big save for him by spotting the garage door bracket that had broke loose and was only held up by one bolt. He was lucky the door had not crashed on his dailies! Turns out one lag only went into sheetrock! :-o

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #496 on: June 22, 2013, 07:06:05 PM »
We do in fact. I get some interesting looks when I tell folks it is a straw bale house. But, it has weathered 114mph gusts that blew a modular off its foundation out here.

You'll be fine unless a big bad wolf turns up.

I spent my teens in mud-bricks, my brother and I made them all by hand....always saw bale houses as a great idea for the more extremkem climes, good to hear about your progress T.

Dr G
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #497 on: June 22, 2013, 07:51:01 PM »
Saw some stuff on the tube about building bale house some years back. I thought it was too neat. 2 shops is 2 much. Amys car is in the driver way and the tools and parts are in the garage. :roll: One day I'll scrape up some cash and put a two bay in the back yard,oh ya.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Tman

« Reply #498 on: June 22, 2013, 08:14:50 PM »
I am just happy to have my pal Tom this close. 400 miles was the distance before. He is exicted to get settled and to work on some toys. His 56 Chevy comes home next week and he found a 409 powered Biscayne to play with as well.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #499 on: June 23, 2013, 07:03:47 AM »
Quick tangential question:  You mean there really is such a thing as a bale house?  Nancy and I were touring on the Gold Wind a bunch of years ago and saw what sure appeared to be a bale house - a BF bale house, at that - someplace out west.  Might have been Utah, might have been Oregon, might have been someplace else.  But it certainly was a bale house.  We still talk about it once in a while - still thinking it was a one-off.  Now you go and tell me that they aren't that uncommon.  Prove it -- show me photos!

I now return you to the regular thread ('cept that I'm waiting to see photos :-o)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #500 on: June 23, 2013, 08:26:07 AM »
   Jon,
  They have been building the bale houses here on the Crow Indian Reservation for a few years. I'll see if I can find a link.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #501 on: June 23, 2013, 08:30:49 AM »
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #502 on: June 23, 2013, 09:27:21 AM »
Well I'll be go to hay.  The house we saw was pretty big -- really big.  And it didn't have stucco or cement or anything but bales walls (outside, at least).  But there's no question -- the house was made of bales of something.  Now if it had been in northern California the bales might have been locally-grown weed, but I'm pretty sure it was regular straw (from the color, not the aroma).

Thanks for the information, ladies and germs.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #503 on: June 23, 2013, 10:33:09 AM »
Well I'll be go to hay.  The house we saw was pretty big -- really big.  And it didn't have stucco or cement or anything but bales walls (outside, at least).  But there's no question -- the house was made of bales of something.  Now if it had been in northern California the bales might have been locally-grown weed, but I'm pretty sure it was regular straw (from the color, not the aroma).

Thanks for the information, ladies and germs.

Straw, not hay Jon! And our is pretty big as well. 38x50 footprint. 3800 sq ft up and down total. What you saw was probably under construction before they stuccoed it. There are several here in the Black Hills. Nebraska and Wyoming have a lot of history with these. They came about along with the invention of the mechanical baler. Imagine living in a dirty sod house and seeing these nice clean bales of straw? It didn't take them long to figure out that they made better building blocks than dirt!

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #504 on: June 23, 2013, 04:52:15 PM »
The straw house we saw showed every indication of having been there for a good number of years - tings like driveway wear and tear, yard kinda tended but now weedy, and so on -- certainly did NOT look like it was under cornstruction.  But it was strange-looking to us from the UP.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #505 on: June 24, 2013, 01:35:29 AM »
Buickguy- thanks for the link. I quickly looked it over, but didn't read the whole thing. How do they keep the stucco from cracking in time? Is some framing (wood, etc.) employed?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Tman

« Reply #506 on: June 24, 2013, 11:10:51 AM »
Buickguy- thanks for the link. I quickly looked it over, but didn't read the whole thing. How do they keep the stucco from cracking in time? Is some framing (wood, etc.) employed?

Jack, ours is a hybrid. Part of the bales are load bearing and part are in-fill with post construction. For load bearing you pre-tension the bales. Our has a box beam on top that gets cinched down with cable to the bottom plate. As for the stuccco, it works as well as on a stick built house.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #507 on: June 25, 2013, 11:07:17 AM »
   Here's a link to several local articles around our area.
http://billingsgazette.com/search/?l=25&skin=/&sd=desc&s=start_time&f=html&q=straw bale house

Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
                   [America]

Offline Tman

« Reply #508 on: July 19, 2013, 10:02:06 PM »
Minor curve in the road. Lost the daily job a few days back. Looking for something new and working on developing the parts business. Thankfully our overhead is low and we have a safety net. The plan is still to be at Speedweek. I do not know if I will be driving the truck, keeping my safety gear budget in reserve but thanks to Doug Odom I do have a 20 suit. Thanks Doug! :cheers:

Offline Roseville Carl

« Reply #509 on: July 22, 2013, 02:33:51 PM »
Damn Trent that sucks, hoping the best for you in finding another one .......... Carl 
"Keep Em Between the Whites"

and yes Virginia the world is indeed Flat