Author Topic: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester  (Read 304513 times)

Offline Buickguy3

Re: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2011, 06:45:21 PM »
Tman,
   Hawk owned Hawk's Pit Stop 71-76. Sold Beer CB radios and a lot of Bull----, at that time. Well known sprint car driver/owner then,too. I was there last year and he still has his old sprint stashed in the corner of his warehouse. He became mator of Bismarck around that time or shortly after.
Doug :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Tman

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2011, 08:03:31 PM »
Tman,
   Hawk owned Hawk's Pit Stop 71-76. Sold Beer CB radios and a lot of Bull----, at that time. Well known sprint car driver/owner then,too. I was there last year and he still has his old sprint stashed in the corner of his warehouse. He became mator of Bismarck around that time or shortly after.
Doug :cheers: :cheers:

OK, will ask dad tonight!

Yup, he he was a bit of a geek and ran junk for sprintcars....................but when you crewed with Hank who ran the best. :-D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:44:17 PM by Tman »

Offline Tman

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 09:16:12 PM »
Minor update, got the mockup engine and parts. Will be ready to cut some steel shortly. Still up in the air in regards to transmissions?

Tomorrow is one of our hotrod breakfasts locally, will have some good sit down time with at least 3 members of the team and myself.

Offline Tman

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2011, 08:17:15 PM »
Buickguy3

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 06:52:00 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you looking at XO/GL, or XO/BGL?

panic

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 07:01:01 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like to hear some details on the 235?

Tman

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 07:01:56 AM » Quote 

Quote from: Buickguy3 on January 01, 2011, 06:52:00 AM
Are you looking at XO/GL, or XO/BGL?

Why? you afraid?

I owe Buickguy an apology, my above reply was not aimed at him at all, I clicked on the wrong quote button. Took me until today while rereading the first page that I realized my mistake. That one was for the other gent :evil:

Offline Drewfus

• http://www.smv.com.au
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2011, 06:22:37 AM »
so.....any progress photo's? have you laid out a more detailed plan yet? curious to see more.

Cheers,

Drewfus :-)
"Build it small, Drive it BIG"

Offline Tman

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2011, 12:20:10 PM »
so.....any progress photo's? have you laid out a more detailed plan yet? curious to see more.

Cheers,

Drewfus :-)

Hey Drewfus! Glad to see you here.

The last weeks progress has been slow. 2 gallons of drywall mud and the remnants of several rattle cans spent perfecting the plug. Mud,dry,sand,repeat!!!!!!!

I think I have it now, will look in the daylight when I get home.

Next step is to move my model A to the main bay and get the frame jig setup. Un-glamorous stuff, no pictures but hopefully another quickchange goes home with me this afternoon. I am also hoping to pick up a trailer I know here in town.

Offline Tman

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2011, 05:01:25 PM »
Picked up the Frankland QC today. No pics until I get it unloaded later this week. My new  friend Wade sent it home with me with the stipulation I find something cool to trade him for his 40 Ford. You meet the nicest people around hot rods and race cars!@ :cheers:

Offline Tman

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2011, 11:50:14 PM »
Ok, finally got the QC unloaded,shop cleaned, and tore it apart. I need to know what kind of differential this is, I have no clue. Eaton? Detroit locker? This thing sat outside for years and things are pretty amazing inside. I was expecting worse. The blown pinion support did not surprise me, they came that way from the factory right?  :-D

Offline Tman

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2011, 08:13:43 PM »
After research it looks like this is a Detroit Locker!?

And today got a very special letter in the mail. As a 41 year old guy that has been reading Hot Rod since I was knee high to a grasshopper and bitten by Bonneville I got my BNI Menbership card! Silly? Not for me, I know anyone can send in the money for it but it is a symbolic step in my quest.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2011, 09:42:35 PM »
Add it all up, and the BNI card is a real bargain.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Tman

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2011, 10:08:05 PM »
Add it all up, and the BNI card is a real bargain.

Stan

It is! Carla, my wife laughed at me a tad when I gushed to her. But this is really cool to me. I laid out what you get with it and she thought it was cool :cheers:

Offline Tman

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2011, 12:20:32 AM »
Having camera issues, cant download. But, all I have is an ever increasing pile o parts. If I dont quit it I will end up with a racecar some day!

Offline Drewfus

• http://www.smv.com.au
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2011, 07:12:18 AM »
so what did you choose for a g'box?

c'mon, get those photo's downloaded, and more importantly, start mocking it up so we can start building..... :wink: :-D

Cheers,

Drewfus

P.S. send that QC over to me and I'll fix it for you, for your effort I'll even put it in my 34 coupe and make sure it works for you.... :-D
"Build it small, Drive it BIG"

Offline Tman

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2011, 12:50:03 PM »
so what did you choose for a g'box?

c'mon, get those photo's downloaded, and more importantly, start mocking it up so we can start building..... :wink: :-D

Cheers,

Drewfus

P.S. send that QC over to me and I'll fix it for you, for your effort I'll even put it in my 34 coupe and make sure it works for you.... :-D

Drew, the QC is ready for new bearings and re-assembly. We are going for the most common box, a Mincie unless something more exotic shows up. I need to spring for a new camera.

Offline Unkl Ian

« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2011, 11:07:33 PM »
Would a T5 stand up ?
I guess the answer is "a Secret" .