Author Topic: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester  (Read 304555 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester
« Reply #390 on: February 15, 2013, 01:07:04 AM »
I wish you the best Tman. You'll figure it out. I'm watching this thread for sure. We'll all learn from this.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #391 on: February 15, 2013, 02:40:21 AM »
cheering for you here Trent :cheers: :cheers:

good to see some progress
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Tman

« Reply #392 on: February 15, 2013, 10:19:06 AM »
cheering for you here Trent :cheers: :cheers:

good to see some progress

You have a kangaroo with wifi out there? Didn't expect to see you post for a few days!?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #393 on: February 15, 2013, 10:46:22 AM »
Tman---Go to Turbodriven.com and open downloads ---left side  Match-Bot--- play with the sx400 100 75  I bet your eng likes 1 of what my 509 likes 2 of---171702  that is the one with the big 1.32 turbine housing it is available with smaller to make it light off sooner  this is a very flexable (lol) flexiable
 size!!!!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:36:44 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #394 on: February 15, 2013, 10:49:40 AM »
Oh, yeah while we have THESE guys doing their thing . . .

:cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:
Trent, the "assembly lube" arrived safely in Beerhaven.  I'll have cause to, hmmmm . . . conduct application tests this weekend.  I suspect I'll run some testing past Fordboy, too.

Thanks, brother!

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #395 on: February 15, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
Chris, I feel bad I did not send more since you are having an assembly party!

Sparky, thanks for the tips.

I have been trying to read up as much as I can about turbos and blow through setups. In the spirit of the Spirit this is a lowbuck junkyard effort. This whole car is a rookie deal, glad I have been on Tims crew for a couple years, I can not imaging building a new car AND and being a newbie on the salt at the same time.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #396 on: February 16, 2013, 01:14:51 AM »
... the big 1.32 turbine housing... a very fleiable size...
?? Only in Aussie dictionaries? Not in any of mine... :?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Tman

« Reply #397 on: February 16, 2013, 11:46:40 AM »
Ok, I found out the factory wastegate is kinda small. 20-28# boost is the range. I will have to go with an external WG since we were going to start with relatively low boost. Any input?

Offline Tman

« Reply #398 on: February 16, 2013, 02:32:20 PM »
Trent, a lot of times you can find another factory style wastgate actuator that opens at a lower pressure and you can adapt to your housing.  A lot of 4 cylinder factory turbo cars are in the 8-15 psi range

I had read that on the turboforum but I also found reference to the WG hole in the housing being too small anyway to let enough pressure out. The hole is smaller than a quarter. I will need to dig a little deeper. Something more "normal" than this particular turbo would be easier to work with but this thing is sized ok and is in great shape and FREE~!

I think I will try the lighter actuator first since they are cheap enough. Thanks.

Offline aut0m4tic

• New folks
Re: Re: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester
« Reply #399 on: February 16, 2013, 06:13:55 PM »
Tman:
 A lot of turbos have a nipple on the cold side housing for a pressure referrence, some people use post cooler piping amd some use a manifold referrence.  The deal is that the closer to your turbo your pressure referrence is, the faster the WG will react.  Dont worry too much about the quarter sized hole, after testing you can port the WG and it will flow a lot more.  You have at least as much back pressure before the turbo as you have boost in the intake. This is the reason a small hole will bleed off a lot of exhaust pressure slowing the turbo.  From. Corky Bells "maximum boost"

Cory

Offline Tman

Re: Re: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester
« Reply #400 on: February 17, 2013, 11:24:20 AM »
Tman:
 A lot of turbos have a nipple on the cold side housing for a pressure referrence, some people use post cooler piping amd some use a manifold referrence.  The deal is that the closer to your turbo your pressure referrence is, the faster the WG will react.  Dont worry too much about the quarter sized hole, after testing you can port the WG and it will flow a lot more.  You have at least as much back pressure before the turbo as you have boost in the intake. This is the reason a small hole will bleed off a lot of exhaust pressure slowing the turbo.  From. Corky Bells "maximum boost"

Cory

Thanks, Corkys book is in the mail from one of the guys in our club.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #401 on: February 21, 2013, 11:00:45 AM »
Not that I am a big forced induction guy by any means, but the turbo you have pictured looks an awful lot like a Garrett off of a 7.3L Ford Powerstroke. And I do know a wee bit about those darn things! One way you can adjust when the wastegate opens is to either increase or decrease the tension on the wastegate solenoid by shortening or lengthening the arm that goes to the waste gate. The shorter the arm, the more tension, and therefor more boost required to open the wastegate. The longer the arm means less tension and the wastegate will open sooner with less boost. I wouldn't reccomend doing it on a stock application, as most guys in my part of the world do it to get more boost out of their pick up trucks, but for what you are doing it may help to know that there is some adjustability there without having to spend a bunch of money and time trying to make something work. Looking good man! Keep it up!  :cheers:

Joe
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Tman

« Reply #402 on: February 21, 2013, 11:29:34 AM »
Not that I am a big forced induction guy by any means, but the turbo you have pictured looks an awful lot like a Garrett off of a 7.3L Ford Powerstroke. And I do know a wee bit about those darn things! One way you can adjust when the wastegate opens is to either increase or decrease the tension on the wastegate solenoid by shortening or lengthening the arm that goes to the waste gate. The shorter the arm, the more tension, and therefor more boost required to open the wastegate. The longer the arm means less tension and the wastegate will open sooner with less boost. I wouldn't reccomend doing it on a stock application, as most guys in my part of the world do it to get more boost out of their pick up trucks, but for what you are doing it may help to know that there is some adjustability there without having to spend a bunch of money and time trying to make something work. Looking good man! Keep it up!  :cheers:

Joe

You are correct in all regards. Our diesel mechanics both drive Powerstrokes, they gave me this one.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #403 on: February 21, 2013, 11:35:28 AM »
Adjusting an arm sounds like the solution. That's the simplest and easiest thing to do on a turbo system I've heard about so far. This gives hope.

Offline Tman

« Reply #404 on: February 23, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
I have a quandry. The car is set up for close to the 144" WB as stated earlier. This requires losing the tailhosing of the trans like Goggles did. But, I will use the same real estate with the waterr tank and fuel cell regardless, it just adds a foot to the WB and means one less customized part. Meaning any GM 3 or 4 speed will drop in. I am trying to talk myself out of the 144" WB to make life easier down the road.

Any input?