Author Topic: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester  (Read 304775 times)

Offline Roseville Carl

Re: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester
« Reply #375 on: November 15, 2012, 10:24:09 PM »
whats goin on Trent??   :?
"Keep Em Between the Whites"

and yes Virginia the world is indeed Flat

Offline Tman

« Reply #376 on: November 16, 2012, 12:07:10 AM »
Carl, back on it, making slow progress and getting sidelined with minor lakester projects. Right now working on the header. I will post some update stuff after the family "Thanksmas" is done. Had to spend some time on house stuff.............like working on finishing it after 5 years! :oops:

Carl, send me your number so we can stay in the loop. Speedweeks looks fun this year with Tims truck!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 12:11:26 AM by Tman »

Offline Tman

« Reply #377 on: February 08, 2013, 12:32:38 AM »
Many have asked, yes I have been drinkling beer and working on house, family etc. But, the Brown Santa showed up today with the last pieces to get to roller stage.

I am now a dealer for Lefthander Chassis, a company that Brian Bass (metalwork on Lee Sicilios car)  clued me into a couple years back. I have ordered several things from them and am so impressed that I signed on with them. These axle tubes and caliper mounts came from them.

Now, I need to bug one of you guys, PJ?, on how to refurb this Quickchange!!!!!! Tubes need to be cut down and I don't know the correct way to measure! DOH!

Also spent the night stripping laquer off weld els for the exhaust. Acetone and good beer, nice combo.

BTW, Mr Midget, that Porter is a cousin to one that will be at your house next week. I may be slow but I get it done eventually! :roll:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #378 on: February 08, 2013, 12:45:27 AM »
No itch, the nose is going to nestle into an aluminum pan that will hold the rubber chin skirts. There is more chance for itch with the mat then the fabric.

No itch. Guys, what we have here is a natural born laminator. Nice thread Tman, I really enjoyed reading. Thanks. :cheers:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #379 on: February 08, 2013, 12:59:53 AM »
Here's a good start Trent.

http://www.circletrack.com/techarticles/ctrp_0707_quick_change_rearend_rebuild/viewall.html

I used to have a similar article that I used to follow. I'm not sure if I can find it but if you Google "quick change overhaul" you'll find a fair bit of information.

You're just beginning to find out that there are a lot of oval track suppliers that have high quality stuff that can be used to great advantage in other forms of motorsport. As a matter of fact if one's prepared to accept that most other forms of motorsport use some parts or techniques that may be applicable to the form of the sport that they're engaged in they can gain some sort of advantage over competition.

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #380 on: February 08, 2013, 11:58:30 AM »
Thanks PJ! Circle Track is one of the few magazines that still does real tech articles!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #381 on: February 09, 2013, 10:35:23 AM »
Thanks PJ! Circle Track is one of the few magazines that still does real tech articles!

I agree - it's one of the last "get your hands dirty" mags out there for the sport.  Rather than most tech and construction articles in magazines that are in a hurry to show the finished project and provide advertisers a showcase for their products, Circle Track really takes the time to inform.

Trent, I haven't posted much, but I've been lurking on this one.  Glad to see it’s still on track.  Keep it up, brother - this is a first class build.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #382 on: February 09, 2013, 07:14:26 PM »
Started on the turbo header/intake using cast steel Weld Els! first tacks done, the rest of the tubes need to be coped and angled back a bit.

Offline Tman

« Reply #383 on: February 09, 2013, 07:16:48 PM »

I agree - it's one of the last "get your hands dirty" mags out there for the sport.  Rather than most tech and construction articles in magazines that are in a hurry to show the finished project and provide advertisers a showcase for their products, Circle Track really takes the time to inform.

Trent, I haven't posted much, but I've been lurking on this one.  Glad to see it’s still on track.  Keep it up, brother - this is a first class build.

Thanks Chris, this year the house HAS to get done so we can refi it. Car will be worked on but not the main goal. Plus, Tom, my engine partner is relocating out here and I will let him get settled before I press him for help and an engine!!!!!!!!!

Your beer should be there by Wednesday! :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #384 on: February 09, 2013, 09:22:27 PM »
Your beer should be there by Wednesday! :cheers:

That will assure a visit from Fordboy!  :wink:

Thanks!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #385 on: February 14, 2013, 09:02:56 PM »
Found a Garret Turbo that we "think" might be sized right, gotta do more learnin' on this topic. When I brought it home I thought the layout was horrible but after looking at the HRM pictures of the Speed Demon I realized it would work with the intoercooler and layout very well.

It is an internally wastegated turbo. Like I said, I am learning on the cheap with factory stuff. Our young diesel mechanic is very good with turbos and helping. The young dudes around here are more into FAST diesels than ricers!

Anyone know where is the best place to pull the vac signal for the waste gate?

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #386 on: February 14, 2013, 09:34:47 PM »
I would think that the waste gate needs a pressure signal to open and you would get that from the inlet plenum. Probably at least a -4 line.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #387 on: February 14, 2013, 10:49:21 PM »
Boy o boy what flashback----stacking the thing in there---clocking it---ponder---ponder---ponder  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #388 on: February 14, 2013, 11:57:06 PM »
I agree with Rex Trent. I think you'll find that reacts to the pressure in the plenum to open the waste gate when it reaches a predetermined reading.

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #389 on: February 15, 2013, 12:27:14 AM »
Thanks Rex and PJ, Garrett actually sells some turbos set up like you guys say.