Author Topic: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester  (Read 304825 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester
« Reply #345 on: May 11, 2012, 12:02:26 AM »
Well, had Twins baseball on the AMtonight since the Rockies were off, got the whole nose skimmed as of a few minutes ago. We go through fast and slow times with these cars, I am entering another fast one..................

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #346 on: May 11, 2012, 12:40:59 PM »
I love Evercoat Rage ... virtually no pin holes ... Joe

Offline Tman

« Reply #347 on: May 11, 2012, 12:49:42 PM »
Going to try RAGE GOLD after this gallon is gone. I am told it sands even better.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #348 on: May 11, 2012, 02:17:43 PM »
Trent,
I stand corrected, I used Evercoat Rage Gold on the fairing, I thought they were same .... No pin holes.

JD

Offline Tman

« Reply #349 on: May 11, 2012, 03:12:38 PM »
Either way I have had great luck with all the Evercoat products.

Offline Tman

« Reply #350 on: May 28, 2012, 10:10:17 AM »
No reason for pics but a little update. Got back on things and have my front "bulkhead" pieces built. These are the uprights that the front axle mounts to. Then I took the time to find the centerline of the car again and set up a stringline THROUGH the engine block. I needed to check center of course and also find square for the front and rear axles. I am happy to report things are spot on!  :cheers: I will now tack the front and rear axle mounts and finalize the engine/tranny mounts. I also spent some bingineering time working out the body panel placement. Stainless took the time to talk body and canopy tips with me as well, thanks!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #351 on: May 28, 2012, 10:35:27 AM »
SS #1 you will be getting another opportunity to coach soon.  :mrgreen:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #352 on: September 05, 2012, 04:53:07 PM »
Can't believe how long it has been since an update. Summer is usually slow for me. I am working on front axle mounting as of right now. August is a wash with me, Sturgis Rally keeps us hopping at work and then Speedweek. But we have cooler temps and more shop time. When there is some visual change I will post up a shot.

Offline Tman

« Reply #353 on: September 09, 2012, 04:14:28 PM »
OK, building up some steam after Speedweek. Spent a fair amount of time with Rick and the Scots, decided to use a NACA duct for the cockpit like the Flower of Scotland has. Instead of buying something I had all my glass supplies handy. This was a 12 pack project over 3 evenings. I bet if you added up my total time it was less than an hour? I call it the 30 minute NACA.

First shot shows the spare foam, attempt #1 and the mold glued to cement board painted and ready to lay-up

second shot, I did one layer of glass cloth and then a layer of mat on top. Beefy enough for a vent!

Last shot, pulled out the plug, and let things cure a bit more. The rattlecan I coated the mold with reacted with the resin! Things are good however. it is trimmer and ready to bodywork into shape for the skin.

This was a trial run for the larger NACA I will use for the engine (thanks Stainless)

Offline Tman

« Reply #354 on: September 09, 2012, 04:17:22 PM »
Also, here is a current shot of the frame. I just cut those bulkhead uprights off teh front. Alignment was off and I am looking at changing the axle mount. Any ideas? I am even considering using my MW Torsion setup for a couple inches of travel.

Starting the rest of the frame behind the driver

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 04:22:44 PM by Tman »

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #355 on: September 09, 2012, 04:42:06 PM »
That really looks stout ... Ary you sure that you are not building something for a pulling contest?

Joe

Offline Tman

« Reply #356 on: September 09, 2012, 04:47:24 PM »
That really looks stout ... Ary you sure that you are not building something for a pulling contest?

Joe

Thanks Joe, just building for the future!  :wink:

If I am strapping mine or my little brothers or Scottys arse in the thing I want it safe!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 04:51:20 PM by Tman »

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #357 on: September 09, 2012, 04:50:34 PM »
Lokoks good Trent! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Tman

« Reply #358 on: September 09, 2012, 09:33:17 PM »
Thanks guys!

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #359 on: September 10, 2012, 09:55:21 PM »
New to the board and just started reading your build this afternoon. Just got finished. Some quality work there Tman, something to be very proud of. Looking foward to more updates as you progress on.