Author Topic: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester  (Read 303398 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester
« Reply #330 on: April 30, 2012, 09:04:30 PM »
OK, back to fiberglass. I now have 3 layers of 6oz cloth with a nice thick layer of mat giving me +/- 4mm. Should I go ahead and do the planned last layer of cloth before I skim this thing with filler or should I call it good and move on?

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #331 on: May 01, 2012, 12:45:39 AM »
Your choice! The cloth will probably give you a smoother finish. When you're done I'd be tempted to give it a good sanding, not being worried if you expose some of the fibre, and then give it a good finish coat of resin to seal everything up. That should make the final finishing a little easier.

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #332 on: May 01, 2012, 12:46:12 AM »
Impatient. I pulled the nose off the plug, I think we are ready to move on.

These last two pics show the damage the plug took, not bad and repairable.

Offline Tman

« Reply #333 on: May 01, 2012, 12:49:10 AM »
replacement pic for teh dupe

Notice how the layer of Beeswax is GONE. On top of the beeswax I layerd on several coats of typical automotive paste wax. Real release wax must be some amazing stuff!? :-o
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:50:59 AM by Tman »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #334 on: May 01, 2012, 01:10:57 AM »
When the mould is done it should be as smooth and shiny as finished auto body work with paint. Then wax it with a couple of coats of highly polished Carnuba wax. If you're thinking of doing another, why don't you put the mould on end and do the bottom as well. If you then glassed supports around it before you pulled it off the plug you'd have a really nice female mould. It would probably make it easier to tie in the belly pan as well.

How's the itch from sanding the glass?

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #335 on: May 01, 2012, 01:14:11 AM »
No itch, the nose is going to nestle into an aluminum pan that will hold the rubber chin skirts. There is more chance for itch with the mat then the fabric.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #336 on: May 02, 2012, 10:36:30 AM »
Tman, is your plan to use the part you have made as the nose or is this going to be the mold for a new part? Either way it looks like you have lots of sanding in your future. If you are planning to use the existing part I would suggest that you do not add additional fiberglass, it is plenty thick. Use a grinder with a coarse disc to knock of the big bumps and get a your basic shape then mix up the bondo and start sculpting your shape and then plan on sanding for a couple of weeks. Doing it this way the part will weight a ton. If you use the existing part as a mold you can make a good part that is only a couple of layers of glass thick that will be a lot lighter and more than strong enough. Either way make sure you have lots of sanding disc and paper.

Have fun and cold showers help get the fiberglass out of your skin.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Tman

« Reply #337 on: May 02, 2012, 11:44:40 AM »
This is a splash, it is the nose, the outside is actually smoother than it looks. It should finish off with a nice skim of Evercoat Rage. It is also thinner and lighter than it looks. By laying things up somewhat directional it looks like I got the strength and thickness in the areas I planned for.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:47:11 AM by Tman »

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #338 on: May 02, 2012, 09:37:47 PM »
Making a fiberglas part off a male mold requires some work. My original Buell XB front fender I made off a male mold and it came out smooth after some agressive sanding and bondo.  Finished well but there was considerable physical exertion involved in finishing it. Stay with it ...

Joe

Offline Tman

« Reply #339 on: May 03, 2012, 12:16:38 AM »
Making a fiberglas part off a male mold requires some work. My original Buell XB front fender I made off a male mold and it came out smooth after some agressive sanding and bondo.  Finished well but there was considerable physical exertion involved in finishing it. Stay with it ...

Joe

Joe, I spent 10 minutes tonight dressing this thing up. It is CLOSE.

Offline Roseville Carl

« Reply #340 on: May 03, 2012, 12:27:49 AM »
Well Trent we need to see what it looks like!
"Keep Em Between the Whites"

and yes Virginia the world is indeed Flat

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #341 on: May 03, 2012, 12:53:14 AM »
yeah yeah, youse guys are always ragging my ASphalt---  if we cant see it it must not be done!!!  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #342 on: May 03, 2012, 01:03:48 AM »
Sparky your asphalt is ok. No stuff smeared on the shell, but pictures do not show the tru surface. I fondled this sheot all night, waiting for some sunlight to glaze it and see where we are.

Offline Tman

« Reply #343 on: May 10, 2012, 11:11:33 PM »
Doing a splash and finishing the outside was the best move. I laid down some of my favorite Evercoat rage tonight, a thin layer and this thing will block close to done in minutes! Plus Rage smells good :-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #344 on: May 10, 2012, 11:26:13 PM »
Getting there, a good day of Rockies Baseball and laminating

Just caught that - HA!   :cheers:

I get more done with a baseball game on the radio than any other time.

There's a rhythm to it, and if I'm not tired, I'm praying for extra innings.

Cone is looking great.  Keep punching.   :cheers:

A trick on getting the fiberglass out of your skin.  When I worked at Menards in the early 1980's, we hand unloaded boxcar loads of fiberglass insulation.  One night after 8 hours of doing that crap in 90 degree heat, I took a shower and shaved.  I noticed my face didn't itch, so I hopped back in the shower, lathered up with the menthol shave cream, rinsed it off, and BINGO - no more irritation.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: