Author Topic: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester  (Read 304731 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2011, 07:22:46 PM »
Just a question about what intake you are going to be running. I made a mechanical, mostly Hilborn fuel injector for Ray Hedstrom to use on his 261. But health issues pervented him from using it. I gave it to him. Perhaps he would lend it to you, if that is in line with your plans. I made a few of these things and they seem to work for me. Other people I have made them for must think they look good as they hang them on the wall. Picture attached. Just add one. They have to stick out farther on yours to clear the exhaust. 3 inches on Rays as I remember from the head to the base of the throttle body. 4 inches on my Plymouth.

Rich, funny you should mention this. Would you talk to your pal about that one?  Another Inliner on the HAMB offered up some parts to build a stroked 261! Might be something to look into. Tom will be here from the East end of the state, 300+ miles, in a couple weeks and we will lay out a plan for the engine. He is bringing our dummy engine

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2011, 07:26:03 PM »
will it be a dragster style and what rear end are you planning on?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2011, 07:46:19 PM »
Sparky, I have a couple Frankland QCs. One will prob go in this car.

And no, it is not going to be dragster style. Talking to Glen, Peter Jack and others in the chat steered me away from that. (I have an unfinished MW frame here that will instead become a Fuel altered some day)

The frame will be rectangular lower rails and the rest tubular. My mentor and chassis guy has dies for 1 5/8" for his hausfeldt but I am thinking of slightly bigger diameter....................dunno on that one yet.

Offline Tman

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2011, 09:30:52 PM »
Building our team one person at a time. My pal John knows fiberglass and agreed to help us pull the nose off my plug!

Also thanks to all you folks I PM or call on the phone behind the scenes. Pretty much everyone I have talked to here and and the chat as well as personal calls.

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
Trent, you might give Russ or Eric Eyres a call. Russ is currently building a lakester frame for my pal Charles Greenlaw--(Xetex Racing, the orange and cream fox body Mustang) and it is a rectangular main rail/tubing upper design. Good to see you on here.....Say Hi to Rocky for me if you see him.....Kiwi (.....Tinbender)..Paul... :cheers:

Offline Tman

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2011, 01:17:18 AM »
Small world Tinbender,  I dialed Rocky on my cell tonight!

Offline Tman

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 01:41:23 AM »
Trent, you might give Russ or Eric Eyres a call. Russ is currently building a lakester frame for my pal Charles Greenlaw--(Xetex Racing, the orange and cream fox body Mustang) and it is a rectangular main rail/tubing upper design. Good to see you on here.....Say Hi to Rocky for me if you see him.....Kiwi (.....Tinbender)..Paul... :cheers:

Paul, do you have a contact for them>?

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2011, 11:32:46 PM »
Trent--Russ and Eric are in the Rulebook as E.T.A. Specialties--Eric has a real job, so Russ cell is (858)228 6256, and should be good during working hours PST. You can also Email Eric- He is the SCTA/San Diego Roadster Club President, and his Email is in the Club listings on p 173. He is also on here occasionally....I will send you Charles Contact info in a PM after I make sure he is OK with a broken down bicycle mechanic getting in touch with him....... :evil: :cheers: :evil:

Offline Tman

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2011, 01:07:11 AM »
Trent--Russ and Eric are in the Rulebook as E.T.A. Specialties--Eric has a real job, so Russ cell is (858)228 6256, and should be good during working hours PST. You can also Email Eric- He is the SCTA/San Diego Roadster Club President, and his Email is in the Club listings on p 173. He is also on here occasionally....I will send you Charles Contact info in a PM after I make sure he is OK with a broken down bicycle mechanic getting in touch with him....... :evil: :cheers: :evil:

Touche! I was sitting behind a running Offy before I could even ride a bike, does that temper it a bit?

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2011, 05:12:52 PM »
Trent--If the Offy story is legit, you get a pass, but grudgingly....photo evidence? Check your messages....

Offline Tman

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2011, 10:11:13 PM »
Trent--If the Offy story is legit, you get a pass, but grudgingly....photo evidence? Check your messages....

Naw, dad was not into pictures. My first 6 years were spent around hooligan Sprint car racers. Dad was Crew Chief for Hank Albers, noted racer out of Bismark North Dakota.

I got your note, thanks man, I will be in touch with them.

No major reports this weekend on the car. Sanding,mudding,guidecoat,repeat :-P

Weather turned Tom around with our engine. A dozen or more cars in the ditch on I29 in the first few miles alone, they were sliding in faster than they could pull them out. He will try again next weekend

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2011, 09:44:12 PM »
Tman,
   Would your Dad have known "The Hawk" Marlin Hawkinson noted sprint car racer and Mayor of Bismarck? Drank a lot of beer with The Hawk.
   Doug :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Tman

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2011, 10:58:08 PM »
Tman,
   Would your Dad have known "The Hawk" Marlin Hawkinson noted sprint car racer and Mayor of Bismarck? Drank a lot of beer with The Hawk.
   Doug :cheers: :cheers:

What years? I am talking 71-76

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
Can’t wait to see your build, as the XO lakestr class should be very interesting in the years to come.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Tman

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2011, 01:04:13 AM »
Can’t wait to see your build, as the XO lakestr class should be very interesting in the years to come.  Tony

Tony, thanks! I am still shaping and fine tuning this plug. Many years of finish carpentry and auto body are heling now, so-so will not cut it. Hope to rearrange the shop and roll my A Tudor into teh main bay this weekend to make room for the Jig. This car is longer so we will mount the I beams to the floor, bay is level for building frames.