Author Topic: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester  (Read 304543 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester
« Reply #225 on: December 21, 2011, 12:22:51 PM »
Tman, does your wheel center to hoop need to be welded 360 degrees?   Or is that a detail related to the speed the car needs to be legal for?

Frank

Fully welded, I will be taking them to a good fabricator friend and have him Tig them up. If you are asking about the fronts with the Ford centers (with the gaps) I asked on that and was told they were fine if fully welded. If not, I have an awesome set for the front of my Tudor!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:42:38 PM by Tman »

Offline Tman

« Reply #226 on: December 24, 2011, 12:57:10 AM »
Working on problem solving, Speed Demon comes to mind for many issues. Mockup, Todds caopies is in my favorites.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #227 on: December 24, 2011, 02:01:51 AM »
Just a thought Trent. Once you get just a little further along why don't you call them and see if they already have a mould for an existing canopy, probably from a homebuilt, that could be made to fit your application. That way you wouldn't have to spend the time and effort of doing a special mould for your project and access to spares would be easier.

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #228 on: December 24, 2011, 10:13:34 AM »
Just a thought Trent. Once you get just a little further along why don't you call them and see if they already have a mould for an existing canopy, probably from a homebuilt, that could be made to fit your application. That way you wouldn't have to spend the time and effort of doing a special mould for your project and access to spares would be easier.

Pete

Todds website shows an in-stock canopy that looks like a perfec fit :wink: :cheers:

Offline Tman

« Reply #229 on: December 27, 2011, 10:24:23 PM »
OK, no more wood blocks and am working on what I want for diagonals! The PVC is to mockup the fire bottles

Offline Tman

« Reply #230 on: December 28, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
Email to Todd, he replied, measurements on the way tomorrow! We shall see.

Offline Tman

« Reply #231 on: December 30, 2011, 12:12:30 AM »
Working on the semi-pierced rear helmet bars. missed it by 1/2" witht the first try, back to the Hossfelt tomorrow and we will get it. Spent some time on the phone today with Joe Timney about fire bottles. I will highly recomendd him based on input from other racers and the 30 minutes I spent on the phone with him today. He answered questions I had before I even needed to ask him. Thats cool! :cheers:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #232 on: December 30, 2011, 05:18:14 AM »
It's looking good, Trent! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Tman

« Reply #233 on: December 31, 2011, 05:06:02 PM »
Thanks Buddy! Got two matching tubes cut, almost ready just need a little tweaking. Time to cut some uprights.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #234 on: January 03, 2012, 12:46:28 AM »
happy new year trent.  i owe you a phone call.  hope to give you a ring this week.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Tman

« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2012, 11:02:33 PM »
Got what I call the "dash bar" bent and cut. The tape above the shoulder hoop will be a tube that ties the two together. I am still playing with ideas for the main frame uprights ad diagonals between the lower rails and the shoulder bar.

Offline Tman

« Reply #236 on: January 14, 2012, 09:54:37 PM »
Did a bunch of shop cleaning among other things and finally got the block up on the rails, time for some fun stuff!

One of our drivers requested a drink holder. I offer up two choices, Stainless and Aluminum ;)

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #237 on: January 14, 2012, 11:08:52 PM »
Aluminum is lighter but we should do an FEA study first!

That's Fluid Entry Assessment and not with diet coke!!  :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Tman

« Reply #238 on: January 14, 2012, 11:22:27 PM »
Aluminum is lighter but we should do an FEA study first!

That's Fluid Entry Assessment and not with diet coke!!  :-D

Well, my pal Scotty that is one of our team does not drink so I grabbed the only thing in recycling that was NA. And thats NOT Normally Aspirated!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #239 on: January 14, 2012, 11:37:12 PM »

One of our drivers requested a drink holder. I offer up two choices, Stainless and Aluminum ;)

OK, I don't know about this aluminum guy but I'm not holding any one's coke  :-o but if your bud wants to hold my beer, I'll drive  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O