Author Topic: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester  (Read 304900 times)

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester
« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2011, 08:25:13 PM »
Trent, I have 1 ten pound bottle behind my seat in that triangular area. If you tape 2 oatmeal boxes end to end it replicates a ten pounder pretty well. I'm putting another ten pounder in the engine compartment mounted laterally also. It's a workout finding room for this stuff in a smallish car.  :-D Wayno

Offline Tman

« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2011, 08:50:17 PM »
Trent, I have 1 ten pound bottle behind my seat in that triangular area. If you tape 2 oatmeal boxes end to end it replicates a ten pounder pretty well. I'm putting another ten pounder in the engine compartment mounted laterally also. It's a workout finding room for this stuff in a smallish car.  :-D Wayno

And this is small Wayne! Thanks! :cheers:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2011, 08:56:09 PM »
It's not to late to stretch it a few feet. :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2011, 09:28:57 PM »

And this is small Wayne! Thanks! :cheers:

Just how big is the hampster wheel for that li'l rocket? just kidding :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2011, 09:31:42 PM »
Trent -  Plan it well ... I like Glen's suggestion, now is the time to stretch it if you need room for equipment.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2011, 09:37:38 PM »
It's a workout finding room for this stuff in a smallish car.  :-D Wayno

I got in your car Wayno , what shocked me was that the inside was so big that the weather was different on one side t'other.

Trent , when you get to running the car there is also the risk of "grey-outs" if you can't get your helmet into a position where it isn't pressed against the padding, that abrupt angle of your bro's neck would be better if there was a bit of curve at the top allowing the shoulders to come forward a little and the neck to be straighter....Yeah I know you are just mocking things up, but these are observations from someone who has done what you are doing.There will be room behind the drivers beltline and under the knees for bottles if you have no room in the engine bay.

Do you intend the cross section of the car to be round?..if so there will be room on either side of the driver's seat, ours are there...we have punch buttons on the end of them, which in the event of a fire you have to hit with your elbows, not ideal but when the wrist straps are on there aren't many places in the cab you can reach.

At this point of your build it is tempting to try and demarcate things, "THIS is the firewall" as a big flat barrier, better use of space likely means it will NOT be flat.......we had the luxury of CAD but when it comes down to the real nitty gritty you'll be putting things together and taking them apart ten times for every time you have a hot dinner, we did.We also had the ability to print out life size drawings of the hoops, then we could inch up on the bends, that was very handy.

And, once again. When you are making critical decisions about width and driver fit, wear thick clothes, right now you're agile, fighting weight and have good abdominal strength(just guessing, you're still in your 30's and you ride a bike)...........that doesn't mean you will when the car gets scrutineered for the first time. I could always get out easily in four seconds without my gear on , safety gear nearly doubled it, with my new triple layer suit and my new 30lbs it's in the 12 second range.

We refused to stretch our tank because we liked the lines, that made for a huge amount of work in the cramming.......longer cars are harder to transport, but that's about the only negative.......
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2011, 11:09:52 PM »
Dr. Goggles sed "I got in your car Wayno , what shocked me was that the inside was so big that the weather was different on one side t'other."
That's why I said "Smallish". I didn't want to overexaggerate the smallocity of my project.  :-D  Available space does have a propensity to evaporate quite rapidly though.  :wink: Wayno

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 12:25:43 AM by Elmo Rodge »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: November 06, 2011, 12:22:47 AM »
 :-P  you will ponder for hours on where to put stuff,  Joe Timney says he almost has a car ready to fire be fore he does a hard weld
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 08:14:35 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #128 on: November 06, 2011, 12:32:58 AM »
Trent--Remember to bring the blocks for the Pedals to Tech with you so that when Scotty has to do his Bailout, we can make sure his little self can reach all the knobs and stuff...... :-D :-D :mrgreen:

Offline Tman

« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2011, 10:31:46 AM »
Trent--Remember to bring the blocks for the Pedals to Tech with you so that when Scotty has to do his Bailout, we can make sure his little self can reach all the knobs and stuff...... :-D :-D :mrgreen:

Thats downright mean there Paul :-D Todd and I are not much taller than him in reality I am only 5'9"

Doc, Todd is 30, I am 42 and Scotty is somewhere in the next decade. We do have the fire wall demarcated.

Lets see bottle talk. Due to some design elements ala a conversation with Mr Burkland the wheelbase is locked where it is. We are running inline and have room above the legs, behind the driver and above/behind the engine as well as beside the parachute tubes in the rear nacalle.

Joe is smart. When we put something together, nothing gets hard welded until all engineering is done and EVERYTHING has been mounted! Tack welds are your buddy. I learn that every time I break my own rule :oops:

Anyone here have the ISP head restraints that wants to add to the discussion?

Offline Tman

« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2011, 10:37:43 AM »

Is there any stipulation on protecting the bottles if they are in the engine area?

Offline Tman

« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2011, 10:43:35 AM »
on the Ratical I  at one time had the fire bottles mounted one on top of the other,right behind my back, horizontally from side to side using the fire wall to mount them to

You have any pictures of that one?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: November 06, 2011, 12:31:44 PM »
                  / l
                 /Ol
  ________/_Ol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2011, 12:35:17 PM »
                   / l
                  /Ol
 ________/_Ol

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2011, 01:58:17 PM »

Is there any stipulation on protecting the bottles if they are in the engine area?
I'm checking on that this week. You didn't ask but here's a picture of my fire bottle.      o        Wayno