Author Topic: Oil Cooler questions  (Read 3176 times)

Offline Vishnuatepork

Oil Cooler questions
« on: December 23, 2010, 02:25:03 AM »
As my Suzuki VX 800 motorcycle nears the end of its re - rebuild. I am thinking it maybe time to start looking at Oil Cooler options. Yes the engine is water cooled, but with the extra power extra heat will be generated, I want more cooling.  Since no one has done much with these engines, I am starting the learning curve.  What else do I need to fill in?  Carbs 41fcr vs stock 36cv, Cams, ported head, high comp pistons, rods, custom tunable ignition module, exhuast, cans, low restriction filters etc etc.

I guess I want to start out be asking a) how much is enough and (seeing some of the  race bred engines, like Haybusa engines they only have a small 5-10 row rad style cooler)( harleys do seem to prefer the looks of billet style coolers, do they actually add cooling ability?, theyre chrome not black which leaves me scratching my head why); b) how much is too much.  One thing I am aware of is that I will gain a bit of cooling effect with the added volume, and that should be added into any guestimations.

I was thinking of mounting under the bike between the frame tubes....other wise it must go in front of the rad.

Cheers
Alan

Cheers
Alan
suzuki vx800, 41mm FCR, shrink ported head, mega cycle cam, singh grooved head, custom headers, Supertapp exhaust, Ignitech ignition module, vs1400 drive hub, nology coils, magnecor wires, 12:1 cp pistons, carillo rods

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Oil Cooler questions
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 08:16:26 AM »
Where is your oil stored?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SaltRat

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 09:28:37 AM »
Oil temp gauge.
Oil temp gauge.
Oil temp gauge.
Oil temp gauge.
Oil temp gauge.
Oil temp gauge.
Oil temp gauge.
Oil temp gauge.
Oil temp gauge.
Oil temp gauge.

I'm not smart enough to guess, don't make me start twitching again!

Have fun!
SaltRat
When (if?) this baby hits 88mph, you'll see some serious poo.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 11:11:07 AM »
Most of the modified Busa's dont run an oil cooler. They do ugly things to the air. I run stock radiator, some run a large water tank and no radiator.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Vishnuatepork

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 04:00:25 AM »
The oil is stored in the engine, no external tanks.

I was looking at the Trailtech Vapor last night as it is compatible with an oil and water temp pickups..... I think that maybe the direction I am heading.  I prefer analog but the price point is hard to beat.

fredvance:

I am curious to know more about these water tanks you mention....how big is big, how are they plumbed (flexible nylon tubing, copper tubing etc) , and where are they located? Might you be able to direct me to some pics?

Cheers!
suzuki vx800, 41mm FCR, shrink ported head, mega cycle cam, singh grooved head, custom headers, Supertapp exhaust, Ignitech ignition module, vs1400 drive hub, nology coils, magnecor wires, 12:1 cp pistons, carillo rods

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 12:43:52 PM »
Ryan Ostergard(osti) and Larry forstall run Tanks and no radiator. You can Pm either of them or Larrys email is in his profile. They both are great guys and will be able to give you lots of good info.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline SaltRat

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 01:37:48 PM »
Sorry if this is a hi-jack, and sorry if its not phrased eloquently . . .

(and I know its more complicated)

Is there some way to tell about how much oil cooler is needed for a given amt. of HP? 

It doesn't seem this is a "if some is good more is better" situation.

thanks,
SaltRat

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 02:22:22 PM »
It is not specifically dependent on hp output, but more to the engine design and how hard it is on the oil.
Secondly it also depends on the oil used. Ideal oil temp is usually considered to be just over the boiling point of water (to remove condensation), most people shoot for something like 210 -220 Deg F. Conventional oils begin to break down at temperatures over about 250 deg F, but the modern synthetics can still do their job at 280+. Some NASCAR teams have stated that running synthetic oils they kept an engine alive at oil temps near 300 deg F (not intentionally but due to problems).

As mentioned above, put an oil temp gauge on the engine and see what is "normal" for your engine configuration at high load, then consider the safe operating temperature range of the oil you prefer. Then put how ever much oil cooler or extra capacity you need to get the oil temps where you want them.

Larry

Offline SaltRat

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 02:52:38 PM »

Bwahahahaha, that's what I'm doing, thought there might be a better way to get there.

thanks!!!

It is not specifically dependent on hp output, but more to the engine design and how hard it is on the oil.
Secondly it also depends on the oil used. Ideal oil temp is usually considered to be just over the boiling point of water (to remove condensation), most people shoot for something like 210 -220 Deg F. Conventional oils begin to break down at temperatures over about 250 deg F, but the modern synthetics can still do their job at 280+. Some NASCAR teams have stated that running synthetic oils they kept an engine alive at oil temps near 300 deg F (not intentionally but due to problems).

As mentioned above, put an oil temp gauge on the engine and see what is "normal" for your engine configuration at high load, then consider the safe operating temperature range of the oil you prefer. Then put how ever much oil cooler or extra capacity you need to get the oil temps where you want them.

Larry
SaltRat