Author Topic: Testing transmission outside of car  (Read 6467 times)

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Testing transmission outside of car
« on: December 21, 2010, 07:18:09 PM »
Does anybody have any ideas on how to test a Front wheel drive Manual trans axle outside of the vehicle? I thought about connecting a drill to the splined shaft and spinning it that way. Any ideas?

TIA
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Testing transmission outside of car
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 08:10:36 PM »
What are you testing for?  A lot of times, you really need to put a load on a drivetrain to determine if there are problems.

A drill would probably be able to prove if it's functioning, but if there are wear issues, it's unlikely that you'll be able to put sufficient torque to it to uncover the kind of problem that would be, well, a real problem.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 11:57:21 AM »
Hey Milwaukee Midget,

Funny you should ask!  :-) In my Bville racer, I had the transmission in last year, and I could not for the life of me get it to go into 2nd gear. 1,3,4,5, and reverse no problem. So when I removed the engine and transmission for the winter upgrade, I took the transmission apart, could not find anything wrong, put it back together, and it goes into all gears now just fine.  :? So what I am looking at is if there is a way that I can further bench test it so I don't get it back together only to find out I have to remove it again.
The transmission was on the floor and it was moved and transported to various locations before install. What I am wondering is if something inside the transmission was bumped or jarred, and that's what caused it?

Any thoughts?
TIA
Clay 
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 01:34:34 PM »
Were you able to get it into second gear with the shifter in place, but out of the car, before you rebuilt it?  Is the shifter a cable arrangement, or does to operate the shift rails directly, like a ball and cup arrangement?

Is this your shift pattern --

1   3   5

2   4   R

If the reassembly fixed it, it was likely a fork/shift rail missalignment on the 1-2, or possibly the 3-4 shaft, or both.  At dead neutral on all of the shift rails, you have a very small margin for error to assure you don't lock out across the gate.  If the transmission is loose or worn, you may be accessing first gear while the 3-4 rail is not completely disengaged.     

It's sometimes tough to tell if the issue is in the alignment or the shifter.  It gets goofier and sloppier if you have an external shifter not directly moving the shift rails.  At that point, not only does the transmission need to be dialed in, the shifter does, too.  If both are sloppy, the stacked tolerances start to raise their ugly head.

The reason I brought up the issue of operating it under a load, is that if your case is compromised, you may never be able to recreate the problem on a work bench.  You'll never be able to apply the kind of force that comes into play.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 07:56:25 PM »
Correct that is the shift pattern. The shifter operates like a ball and cup arrangement.