Author Topic: Finish for Mag quick change:  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Finish for Mag quick change:
« on: January 04, 2006, 10:09:57 AM »
I have an early Hildebrand quicky that I am putting in my lakes style roadster it happens to be one of the magnesium units that Hildi made and was wondering two things:

1. DOW 7 surface treatment: This is the dichromate treatment that makes mag the nice gold color. Anybody know where I can get this done to my quick change? I live in Nor Cal.

2. Powder coating mag: I have thought about powder coating also but I have a couple of reservations. My experience with mag transmission cases is that you don't want to press the bearings in and out as the mag goes away and the bearing get loose so the correct way, or anyway the way I do it is to strike up the "blue wrench" and heat the bearing bores in the case and drop in the cold bearings and let the case shrink around them. But if I powder coat the housing I am sure that the powder coating will not take the heat required to install the bearings. I was thinking about installing the bearings and then make covers for the sides and ends of the housing and then have it powder coated. Any thoughts from some one that has done this before??

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Coatings
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 11:52:32 AM »
Rex, I don't know if Russ Meeks' shop is open again (after they suffered a fire last fall), but he's a land speed racer and runs a business called Finish Line Coatings.  I betcha he could tell you most, if not all, of what you want to know.  He's in Milwaukie, Oregon (suburban Portland).

You can find his phone and such at www.finishlinecoatings.com

We're getting a coating of snow here, but that's not what you asked for, is it?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

Finish for Mag quick change:
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 01:32:26 PM »
Russ Meeks shop is up and running, but if you want to Dow 7 it, you might call Mert Littlefield at Littlefield blowers and see who does his mag stuff.
Bob Drury

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Mag finish
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 12:55:01 PM »
There is a mag oxide coating called Tagnite, and it can be overcoated with an epoxy finish called Rockhard.  I think I spelled or misspelled them both correctly.  This will also make your mag last through a season on the salt.  Dow 7 and 15 are going away due to environmental problems with the process.  Tagnite will give you a nice gray finish, and does not have to be painted but can be.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
DOW7 for my mag quick change:
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 07:26:12 PM »
Thanks for all of the great ideas, but I ended up talking to Littlefield Blowers and they have their mag cases DOW7 treated and I sent them my center section and the next thing you know it comes back, this neat black/gold/gray and really looks bitchen! Going in my street roadster and am planning to put the rearend together in the next couple of weeks, I'll sends some pictures when it's assembled.

If I keep at it and my bank account holds out I will drive it to B'ville this summer!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.