Author Topic: Wilmington Airpark  (Read 20307 times)

Offline bharmon77

Wilmington Airpark
« on: December 21, 2010, 01:34:45 PM »
I live in Wilmington, Ohio and I was curious to know if Wilmington Airpark has ever been considered for an ECTA tarck? This airport is an old B-52 field with the longest ruway at 10,700 feet. The airport has not been active since Airborne/DHL moved out 2 years ago. I would be willing to do local research if anyone was serious about proposing this idea to the city who now owns the field.

bharmon7077@yahoo.com

Offline wfojohn

Re: Wilmington Airpark
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 02:14:39 PM »
That would save me 5 hours each way.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
Here's the easy way to do the basic research on whether racers (or anybody) could use it for other than an airport runway:  Look at a photo of it (or find an overhead image from one of the satellites).  If there are big "X" markings at the ends of the strip -- then it is officially closed to air traffic and therefore perhaps eligible to some sweet-talking son of a gun that wants to use it for racing.

That's all there is to "basic research", I'm pretty sure.  Go to it!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackB750

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 04:24:29 PM »
Wilmington Industrial Airpark (ILN) is, for sure, WAY less busy than when Airborne/DHL operated their freight logistics center there. However, it's still a public use airport that is owned by Clinton County.
PerformanceWerx-Chasing Motorcycle Land Speed Records ;

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 06:24:10 PM »
Here's the easy way to do the basic research on whether racers (or anybody) could use it for other than an airport runway:  Look at a photo of it (or find an overhead image from one of the satellites).  If there are big "X" markings at the ends of the strip -- then it is officially closed to air traffic and therefore perhaps eligible to some sweet-talking son of a gun that wants to use it for racing.

That's all there is to "basic research", I'm pretty sure.  Go to it!

It actually can get a little bit more complicated than that. I know that the Oscoda airport in Michigan can be rented out to race teams as for high speed testing.  In KMTO in Illinois allows their ramp to used for autocrossing and appeared to be offering use of one of their taxiways for dragstrip use. I was on the far side of field flying gliders, so I didn't get close enough to look at what they were doing up close, but there are options out there if you can pay the fees.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 10:59:19 PM »
Wow!  Talking about timing ... I was considering driving up and taking a look at the air field soon.  I'm about 2.5 hours away.  I noticed some discussions about the air field and the fact that last month control had been given to the Clinton County Port Authority.  IIRC, they were given control to seek economic development for the land.  I believe it could serve as the "mid-west" track.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ILN,+Wilmington,+OH&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.042042,67.763672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Airborne+Airpark+(ILN),+Wilmington,+Clinton,+Ohio+45177&ll=39.431088,-83.789034&spn=0.034341,0.066175&t=h&z=14
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 11:01:37 PM by RansomT »

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 07:59:36 PM »
Ransom T,

Let me know if you come up after the first of the year, I will be out of town until then. I can probably find and make an appointment with someone responsible for the field activities and or development that could show us around and listen to this crazy idea?. I don't know who that is but I bet I can find out and give them a call.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 09:03:07 PM »
I am near South Lebanon and time permitting can lend a hand! PM me - let's triple team them!
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline RansomT

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 10:27:20 PM »
What about the weekend of Jan. 8-9 as the first choice?   Monday, the 10th, I might be able to do if the folks need a business day to show us their goods.  :-)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 08:51:45 AM »
If that has a good over run on one end that should work fine.  This sound like a great idea and I will bet you can get some good support from the locals. 
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 10:11:11 AM »
What about the weekend of Jan. 8-9 as the first choice?   Monday, the 10th, I might be able to do if the folks need a business day to show us their goods.  :-)

Dates work for me, RansomT!!  :cheers:

As you may or may not know Wilmington is economically depressed after the DHL pullout!  :cry:

Maybe we put together a short presentation of the other successful venues?

Or just a walk-about to see if there is any real interest :?
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline geh458

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 11:45:21 AM »
You might try contacting the folks that organize the Loring and Maxton events for guidance, as they are held at similar venues.

Gifford Hawn

Vintage Sports Car Racer looking to convert.......

Offline RansomT

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 02:03:47 PM »
I believe that this just needs to be a fact finding mission.  Check out the air field and maybe talk with someone to get their impression if it is feasible from their end.  If everything checks out, then return to make a "pitch".  Before making a pitch then we need to tAlk with Joe or who ever could help out on recommendations.

Offline olepaw

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 02:39:17 PM »
Hey I live in cols .oh. i'm  just about one third on car,  but that would be great for me nice and close. If I can help let me know. jmcentire1@yahoo.com.
D/CGC record Ohio mile
G/GC   record Ohio mile
H/GC   record Ohio mile
E/FSS  record Ohio mile C/GC TRYING

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 09:05:09 AM »
The dates work for me, I will find someone to contact that can give us a look around. I think that it is important to present ourselves as being part of an existing organization with the ability and history of putting on this type of event. A good formal presentation will be important at some point in the process. Don't get me wrong I don't mean that we will go as though we are representing ECTA I am not even a member yet.