Author Topic: Some Old Drag Race Pictures  (Read 8752 times)

Offline Rcktscientist

Some Old Drag Race Pictures
« on: December 16, 2010, 12:40:31 AM »
While things are slow in the winter these should bring back memories. Some are better quality than others. Circa 1967 to 1970 New York National Speedway.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rcktscientist/NewYorkNationalSpeedway?authkey=Gv1sRgCPeHppSWn4yY0gE#5551145777952275410

Offline John (Maryland)

Re: Some Old Drag Race Pictures
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 07:39:08 AM »
Great set of unusual photos of not only the vehicles, but the people, not many sneakers in those days.  TNXs for posting!  John.

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 10:11:22 AM »
Very Nice, Growing up on the west coast we didnt see alot of the east coast cars :cheers:
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 12:54:40 PM »
GREAT remined me of Lions in the old days................took to 321 to see a rear engine dragster..
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 01:09:45 PM »
#20, in the background, is a '59 or '60 Plymouth.  I'd forgotten how bizarre they were!  That rear-engined car looked good going down the strip, too.  Wonder if that ever caught on?  And the Funny Cars -- they resembled (or in some cases were) actual cars.  What a concept!

Stan
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 01:17:51 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline desotoman

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 01:48:51 PM »
Thanks Ken,

Who could ever forget EJ Potter and his wild chevy powered bike. Brought back lots of good memories.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 02:15:34 PM »
Glad you guys enjoy these as much as I do! When I scanned in the negatives last year I realized I hadn't looked at many of these photos for about 40 years :-)

The rear engine dragster was Bernie Schacker, I believe a Long Island Plumber. He built the car himself...in around 1968-1969! I believe he had the 1st 6 second rear motored car (or Duane Ong in the Pawnbroker). Well, at the race these photos of him were taken "Big" was there and spent considerable time looking at the car and even sat in it. I was a "slick wiper" for Richie Sullivan who had a rear engine Jr. Fueller in the same time frame. The car traded records with left coasters Adams & Enriquez over 3 consecutive weekends. Car was later turned to a Top Fueler. There is a dark photo of Richie standing with the A&P TF Driver. There is a shot of Shirley Muldowney's FED blown smallblock dragster with I believe her late husband standing next to it. You can read Cha Cha on the trailer. It's fun to see the cars and people in the background. Definately different times.

Offline hotschue

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 06:26:54 PM »
Ken, Thanks for the photo's.....brings back memories!.  Pics that you posted where a group of racers that toured East Coast back in the day......64 car show's at Cecil County.....Sat, Night!! Capitol Raceway.....York US 30 and on and on.  Can only be thankful I was able to be there and and be part of the era.
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 11:46:36 PM »
Thanks for posting those.  My mother and I watched the Fremont drags in the late 60's.  We might have seen some of those cars.  One or two seem to be familiar.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 12:54:51 AM »
Don't think any Funny Car of the day was missed in these photos.

Nice race track.

Great stuff.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline salt27

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 01:55:29 AM »
What, no Jungle Pam!
It must of been before her time. :-D
Thank you for the great pics.

Don

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 07:31:32 PM »
Wow - just - WOW.  Great shots. 

The Sox and Martin cars I saw at 1st Avenue Chrysler-Plymouth in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, when they were doing a clinic/car show/promotion.  I was 10 years old.  That dealership was also a drop/ship point for the Superbirds.  There was about a two week period in 1970 when there were easily over 50 Superbirds sitting on the lot, waiting to get shipped to other dealers. 

And try as I did, I was unable to convince my dad that we should get one.  :cry:  I mean, hey, I was only six years away from my driver's license.  What a great hand-me-down THAT could have been.   :evil:

A very cool dealership.

I still think the S&M Cuda was the hippest door slammer of all time.

This was a very nice Christmas present.  Thanks for sharing!

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: