Author Topic: Tech Question... from a Tech Inspector no less!  (Read 14347 times)

Offline NathanStewart

Re: Tech Question... from a Tech Inspector no less!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 12:14:15 AM »
Good thread . . .  very interesting . . .  Let me see if I understand this by setting up a fictitious example . . . .

Consider a K/ Diesel Streamliner.  Current record is Zero,  As I understand it, if you are running in an open record class you need to equip the car with safety equipment that is up to the standards required for the next higher class with a record.  "Open record classes: Tire requirements shall be determined by the speed in the next larger displacement class in which a record exists." The existing record for the next higher class is 116.537 for J/DS.   

Looking at the tire speed limits we see the S rated tires are limited to 115mph, and T rated tires are good up to 120mph.  So according to the rules you would need T rated tires (since 116.537 exceeds 115).

But . . . could you enter a K/DS with S rated tires if (after consultation with the tech inspectors) you are allowed to run with a 115mph speed limit?

Yup, you've got it.  Two years ago I inspected a high horsepower turbo Toyota Celica that could easily do over 200 but the car showed up with unrated drag radials on them.  Without any specs from the tire manufacturer, we limited them to under 200 mph.  Well I think the guys really took my imposed speed limit to heart because I caught up with them later and they showed me a timing slip of 199 and change over all three miles.  Driver said he drove by the GPS and made sure to not go over 200.  I got a good laugh out of that one but thanked them for doing as I asked. 

Another time I inspected a high horsepower Cummins diesel truck out of Texas.  They wanted to go 200 but had street tires so we limited them to under 200.  They set the record at 193 and had a best one way pass of 197.  Perfect.

You guys that are border line might as well pony up and pay the piper because that next speed break is right around the corner.

But back to my point, why make it a rule if it isn't really a rule at all?  Having a rule like that sure makes the SCTA seem very draconian to the normal outside observer but it really isn't that way at all.  Some might say having these superficial "barriers to entry" might keep the meek away and separate those who want from those who can and do but I personally like see new cars being built and more fresh blood in our sport.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 12:24:30 AM »
Nathan,  thanks for your post. I understand what you are saying and appreciate your thoughts.

I look forward to being in your tech line and having you send me off on my Rookie Salt Run.

FYI-  at Maxton we use the same tech speed limit sticker process,,, it works great too.

Charles

Thanks Chuck!  I look forward to having you join us.

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 01:11:35 AM »
Charles;

I don't think that you would be considered as a rookie.  When I made my first runs I was announced as a rookie pass.  Another very famous celebraties wife was running for the first time at Bonneville that year, and they announced her as making a licencing pass.  I questioned why she wasn't announced as a rookie, and the answer was that she had run at El Mirage.  You need to get a feel for driving on the salt, but I would not call you a rookie.   :-)

Steve
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 09:01:44 AM »
Thanks Steve,

I guess my "first few passes" on the Salt  would in fact be called "Licensing Runs"  (not Rookie runs)  but either way speed limits are imposed for a few passes (as they should be for safety and track familiarization).

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 02:06:27 PM »
Good thread . . .  very interesting . . .  Let me see if I understand this by setting up a fictitious example . . . .

Consider a K/ Diesel Streamliner.  Current record is Zero,  As I understand it, if you are running in an open record class you need to equip the car with safety equipment that is up to the standards required for the next higher class with a record.  "Open record classes: Tire requirements shall be determined by the speed in the next larger displacement class in which a record exists." The existing record for the next higher class is 116.537 for J/DS.   

Looking at the tire speed limits we see the S rated tires are limited to 115mph, and T rated tires are good up to 120mph.  So according to the rules you would need T rated tires (since 116.537 exceeds 115).

But . . . could you enter a K/DS with S rated tires if (after consultation with the tech inspectors) you are allowed to run with a 115mph speed limit?

Yup, you've got it.  Two years ago I inspected a high horsepower turbo Toyota Celica that could easily do over 200 but the car showed up with unrated drag radials on them.  Without any specs from the tire manufacturer, we limited them to under 200 mph.  Well I think the guys really took my imposed speed limit to heart because I caught up with them later and they showed me a timing slip of 199 and change over all three miles.  Driver said he drove by the GPS and made sure to not go over 200.  I got a good laugh out of that one but thanked them for doing as I asked. 

Another time I inspected a high horsepower Cummins diesel truck out of Texas.  They wanted to go 200 but had street tires so we limited them to under 200.  They set the record at 193 and had a best one way pass of 197.  Perfect.

You guys that are border line might as well pony up and pay the piper because that next speed break is right around the corner.

But back to my point, why make it a rule if it isn't really a rule at all?  Having a rule like that sure makes the SCTA seem very draconian to the normal outside observer but it really isn't that way at all.  Some might say having these superficial "barriers to entry" might keep the meek away and separate those who want from those who can and do but I personally like see new cars being built and more fresh blood in our sport.

Nathan,

You're a voice of reason among those less gifted!  What a concept, using common sense and hard rules to govern a sanctioning body.

Buzz1513B
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline dw230

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 05:58:30 PM »
Nathan,

If we don't inspect to the written rules the parts of the rule book you are referring to need to be changed.  I just checked, there are 51,808 words in the 2011 rule book. Not every word is looked at every year. I agree that the procedures used should match the written text.

I have not done inspections for several years so, if you guys are not following the rule book please submit the changes.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 04:19:19 PM »
I prefer to think of it as the rule book not following us.  :-D

Offline Tman

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 05:55:07 PM »
You guys just need to tell me when I am doing shit wrong and I WILL be asking a ton of questions!

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 08:13:20 PM »
You guys just need to tell me when I am doing Subaru wrong and I WILL be asking a ton of questions!

Well, A Subaru is wrong for openers.......................................... : - )

Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 09:54:11 PM »
   Nathan, over 175 one shoot, over 300 two shoots. Over 400 drag your feet and pray.

Offline Tman

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 02:07:41 PM »
You guys just need to tell me when I am doing Subaru wrong and I WILL be asking a ton of questions!

Well, A Subaru is wrong for openers.......................................... : - )

I love the swear editing function, you never know what will get substituted! :-D

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 12:09:37 PM »
I agree with DW, lets try and stay close to what the rule books indicates, it might be OK for once in a while to put a speed restriction on a race car, but let not over do it with too many cars.  This year I did the timing on the Special Course for the first 2 days of racing at Speed Week and I had 148 rookies to time, watch and verify their speeds back to the starters and check their turn outs and sometimes how they deployed their chutes. So yes the tower can watch as requested by the starters to monitor a speed (time) for rare occasions, but it should be used as a minimum!! I feel its safer to have the required equipment (chute/fire bottles, etc) for that vehicles record status. Having a required chute on a race car at any speeds over 160mph at El Mirage is very important to prevent the race car from going out the "backdoor" and hitting a person (spectator) or child on a motorcycle!! One hit like that and we are done at EL Mirage!! Bonneville doesn't really have this situation, but lets stay with the rules in the Rule Book,  Dave
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2010, 01:45:14 PM »
I think that any car that does not meet the standard for the class should be entered TO. with a max speed. Then when the starter tells the timer everyone will know how fast the car is legal to go.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2010, 01:51:20 PM »
Yah-but . . .

As Avanti has stated, that's a burden on the officials.  In the past, TO has kinda been reserved for vehicles that didn't fit any classification, not ones that didn't meet the safety requirements.  SW has more than enuf entries already.  Don't need the revenue, don't need a greater hassle.  The World of Speed has categories already set up for the others.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2010, 02:44:29 PM »
I agree with Stan, lets keep time only to a minimum. Lets keep inspecting per the rule book. Merry Christmas.