Author Topic: 95-98 ?/MP project  (Read 38279 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: BUFTer jr. ?/ _MP
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2015, 11:53:14 AM »
SSS  in the 70's all of the Big 3 offered Full time Four wheel drive trucks GM only offered Full time 4X4 in 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton Pickups from 73-79
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline salt27

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2015, 12:38:37 PM »
Also Jeep pickups with Quadratrac.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2015, 02:38:12 PM »
Well there you go.  I figure that Sparky knows what he's talking about -- not so sure with Don :evil:  I guess that in the 70's I wasn't very aware of 4x4 trucks and didn't pay attention to the transfer case situation in them.  As for Jeep -- I've never had much of anything to do with those vehicles.  I did have a late 60's (I think) Toyota Land Crusher with a mildly warmed-over 350 SBC in it -- tons of fun racing around in the mud and snow.  but it was two or four wheel drive.

I also had a Rambler (or whatever it was called) AWD station wagon around '83.  It was full time all wheel drive.  That was my first AWD vehicle, and I remember trying sand hills and everything and being impressed by the thing.  It's a good day today to have that extra traction -- we're in the middle of a "blizzard" (quotation marks mine because it isn't as bad as the word implies) and so I drove Nancy to work at Lowe's in the big pickup.  No slipping and sliding.  I did take some video as I was driving down the road, and I'll have it on YouTube in a couple of minutes.  I'll get back here and give you a link.  It's about 1 1/2 minutes long.

http://youtu.be/HPgFxB1n_K8

Ah, life in Michigan's beautiful Upper Peninsula! :cheers: :-D :-D :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 02:40:45 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2015, 05:09:49 PM »
Two questions --

Where's the video you promised us of Nancy?

What's 6 to 8 inches?

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2015, 05:44:26 PM »
Video:  You Tube rejected it due to their forecast of hugely overpowering amounts of traffic going to the site to see her modeling the new tattoos and showing what's left of non-inked skin.

6 to 8 inches is the measurement from the ground. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tauruck

« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2015, 08:31:03 PM »
Slim, what's 6 to 8" from the ground?. :-o

I hope you aren't one of the guys down at the river
polluting the water. You know the story........

Oooooh, the water's cold!!! Yeah and it's $#%^&* deep too!.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2015, 01:14:08 AM »
SSS, I remember days like that at WAFB, MI. Deep snow is more fun :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2015, 09:28:58 AM »
Mike:  You got it right, but why do you "hope" that I wasn't talking about that?  Penis envy across the ocean?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2015, 09:57:34 AM »
Geez  here I am in Phoenix 73 degrees in my house and I have a "hoodie" on because I am chilled because the sun isn't up yet and you guys are talking about deep snow  :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2015, 12:02:17 PM »
Sparky:

Here's what it's like at our house this morning.  I make a tunnel for exiting the house during the winter - using the basement / at grade door.  I don't bother to shovel the front walkway.  The "tunnel" is a few hoops of rebar with a blue tarp fastened over it.

Kinda makes you think twice about needing that hoodie, doesn't it?

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2015, 12:21:32 PM »
WOW... hardly recognize Nancy with all those clothes  :roll:  she looks a little bundled up aye...
I had to fix an airplane at KI one time, the guys up there told me come prepared, they just had 4 feet of snowfall the day before.  You UPers always exaggerate about the snow, I saw the report when I arrived, it was only 47 inches.  Driving on the base was like driving in tunnels, the snow plows had snow cut and thrown about 10 feet high, you had to creep into the intersections to see cross traffic.  Road to the base must have been done by the same folks, couldn't see anything but snow.
Minot was always worse, the snow was drier and the wind there made white-outs common.  They strung ropes between buildings so you could find a door...
Working up there was bad enough, I know I could never live there  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2015, 12:07:06 AM »
Well we are going to drag BUFTer out of the back yard. and see if we can build a Miler out of it.  Scored big today with a spool for a 12 bolt so we can run 2.73 gears and 35 spline axles.

We will be building this on a 4x4  frame with torsion bar front suspension and a 4 link with air bags in the rear. It will be a 4x2 ex-cab with a 8' bed with a 155" wb

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2015, 06:55:04 PM »
 :-D we received a care package via Brown Santa today----

Thank you MR JOHN B---

you deserve to have a sloop named after you or something like that!!   :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2015, 02:05:51 PM »
Well things change ---we now have a REALLY REALLY , ugly truck to replace "bufter jr" , since we can not run 4x4  for a MP or a BMP.

A Craigslist $ 650. special--- a 4x2 60s Studebaker Champ pickup with pretty good sheet metal.   It t has a Camaro sub frame installed. It was a Sand Drag truck it has a cage that will have to be redone. It will have to have the body remounted it presently does not meet the rules requirements as they are not in the original relationship.

We will build a GM 12 bolt with 2.73 on the Summers Bros. spool we got from John B. ,thanks again sir, with ladder bars and coil overs.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2016, 08:23:44 AM »
I have scored a front bumper for it.  We now we will have a stock 3/4 ton 122" wb un-modified frame so that we can comply the rules.  After  talking to Sum and spending 1/2 a day with Tim Cox, I am pretty sure we will be running a slightly modified I beam front axle with leaf springs, and a 12 bolt and leaf  in the rear with to start with 2.73 gears.  I am leaning toward this because it just has less variables to control.  It will have some sort of ladder bars or traction bars also.

I have a lead on a 8' fender side bed to complete a Reg. cab 122" MP.

We plan on starting with AA /MP and  then AA /BMP  with a Turbo 400/GV setup since I have 98 percent of the parts I will need already.