Author Topic: 95-98 ?/MP project  (Read 38280 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: BUFTer jr. ?/ _MP
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 07:39:51 PM »
We have proof that I can do that not once but twice---well 1 & 1/2 :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 07:21:15 PM »
      The cab is gutted, stripped, removed and sitting outside, the frame is stripped sitting on a front wheel dolly, and rear tires almost front ride height for visual training. 
      We have submitted 2 questions, one about cab to frame mounting  and solid driving front axle mounting .
      We have plenty to do building the front and mid plates and mounting the Eng./trans/Tranfer case and building and installing the 4 link & figuring the drive shaft angles.

This truck has never been in a wreck and the frame rails are tweaked---some more of that great UAW/gm quality.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 07:24:04 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 11:50:39 PM »
Thank the Lord for Christmas---found two serious contributions to our efforts on Craigs List:

1. BRAND new BBC 2"ceramic coated Tri-Y headers with AIR bungs---how convient for EGTs $200.  We will use these if we decide to put the Turbo in the truck bed for heat and weight dist. reasons.

2. an already bored gen 6 BBC block,  for our .030 MusselSports $100 Speed Pro Blower pistons I picked up on a trip to Maxton years ago, with bearings for $200.00. This will give us a 461 "EL Cheapo" A motor. This will be our "MULE"

We also have a lot of parts for another El Cheapo 438 B motor.

We will run these on our mule motor to see if we can make this thing go straight, an get the plumbing sorted out on all the systems.

As we continue  we have decided on leaving the stock cab & body mounts so that we will not risk the "no channeling" part of GC/MP rules

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 12:10:42 AM »
Sparky, 2 pages of build diary and no pics violates forum protocol rules.  :-D
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 12:24:03 PM »
Sparky, 2 pages of build diary and no pics violates forum protocol rules.  :-D

JHN,  you are right,,, ya wooda thunk Sparky had learned a few tips from me about a properly documented build diary... LOL

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 04:01:19 PM »
 :-D what document our sins  :-D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 10:27:12 PM by SPARKY »

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 04:09:08 PM »
:-D what document our sins  :-D

Absolutely! :-D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 04:13:50 PM by SPARKY »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 04:38:17 PM »
OK I'm busted old camera died and I have not or am not smart enough to run my wife's will try to learn---really I didn't see much point in posting Pict's of anything all of you have seen in body shops----stripped down frames and cabs. 

We will be entering a phase where it might get sort of unusual. Andy and I were out this morning figuring out how we can build a device where we can handle the entire drive unit to work out the engine, trasmission and tranfercase mounts. We still have to drill the holes for the mid plate and mount the transfercase to the trans and then the Eng together ---this will all weigh somewhere around 1050# and is around 6' long.

The intresting part is we are raising the drive train some to compensate for the decreased ground clearance of the 205 tranfercase.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 04:53:38 PM »
Sparky, I think I know what you mean. The procedure I'd be looking at would be to block up the drive train at the lowest height possible, then block up the chassis around it at the lowest height possible. Now build everything else around those two base lines. You definitely don't want to raise the height of any major source of weight. If you ever do spin (when) you want that weight down low.

Pete

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2010, 05:11:21 PM »
I agree with PJ

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2010, 10:36:29 PM »
PJ, that is about what we are doing. We have the frame on blocks in the front with the minimum Rake we would be comfortable with the MT 30s; and enough ride ride height of the smallest tires we might run. We will run a 4 link in the back to influence how the solid mounted frt axle might steer and also to adjust the rake with.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2011, 08:34:34 AM »
We have been busy scrounging Craigs list this week, for some donor blocks and heads to practice grinding and drilling on.  Spent several hours on ENCO online yesterday ordering aircraft drills, DRAPS and taps and a stick of bronze to make piston squirters out of. These we will document and post.

Jeez I wish I had done what I thought about when I was in high school. Join the Navy upon graduation, become a machinist mate; then I would know about these metal working things. What does what, how to do this and that, instead of having to call Terry Mouer or Bill Ratcliff and/or reinvent the wheel.  But it does keep me off the street and in the shop, Linda aka "the parts check signer", very affectionatley known as the "House Nazi" knows where I am. This has worked for 28 years and we just celebrated so on the 30th.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2011, 09:18:26 AM »
Congrats on the 28 years! 8-)

Looking forward to the pic updates.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2011, 10:06:30 AM »
Sparky,

Don't second guess yourself.  46 years ago I joined the Hooligan Navy planning to become an aviation machinists mate and learn aluminum fab skills.  Recruiter somehow forgot to tell me CG had a lot of trained AF prior service comming over because the rate advancement was faster.....  Not complaning, struck engineman and wound up with diesel experience that served me well for 35 years after I got out.  Still chasing the aluminum knowledge.  The important part is us "experienced youth" still being able to play while we chase our dreams.

Ed

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 09:23:07 PM »
Sunday I finished the 3/8 midplate,
Several years ago I read about installing 7/16" grade 8 cap screws in 2 bolt BBC Mk4 blocks  to make the poor boy 4 bolties--- did yhat today  will get camera out when we start on Squirtiers.  Will take picts of mock up block, trans and tranfercase