Author Topic: 95-98 ?/MP project  (Read 38437 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: BUFTer jr. ?/ _MP
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2014, 10:33:52 PM »
1leg do you have a MP or working on one?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 1leg

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2014, 08:58:14 PM »
Working on one. Hope to have something to show off at El mirage sometime in 2016 if the $$ holds up. I just pulled the stock motor tonight. Waiting on a reply from the truck committee to see how much of the stock frame and suspension can be modified. I want to run a mustang 2 or strut front suspension and a ladder bar in the back. Also need to notch the rear frame and bed to lower the rear.

1993 Chevy reg short bed c1500. Current plan is to only run it at el mirage.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:04:08 PM by 1leg »
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2014, 10:18:30 PM »
Good luck on hearing back--- I have asked for a ruling on putting the the exhaust into and out of the bed -- haven't heard back..  I would be interested in your rulings also.  I will share if I ever hear back.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2014, 02:18:46 AM »
I didn't see this before when it first popped up 4 years ago. This is probably a totally moot point now but I believe the rule about supercharged PRODUCTION trucks that may or may not also be FULL TIME 4wd (aka all wheel drive) was meant for trucks like the GMC cyclone and typhoon which were factory supercharged (turbo) and also all wheel drive. the cyc and typ were s-10 based vehicles.  I'm not aware of a production full size half ton truck that came with all wheel drive and I don't know if converting a non-awd truck to four wheel drive with a conventional transfer case and no center diff would constitute "production full time four wheel drive". Remember that the intent of a rule may be mightier than the rules actual wording. your original plans could have meant running a t/o 4wd truck.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2014, 10:11:31 AM »
Thanks Nathan, I received a phone call last night and suggested that if I wanted to receive an answer I should  contact Jim Dunn;  he had been very good about responding in a timely manner.

I did the same thing 4 years ago and never received a response from the truck chair!!

I sent him ( Jim Dunn) an email last night to him spelling out what we have in mind.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 08:09:36 PM by SPARKY »

Offline 1leg

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2014, 05:02:52 PM »
They are getting a lot of emails latley, so far they have note given me a for sure answer but have asked me some questions. I will let you know when i know!

Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

Offline 1leg

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2015, 01:38:04 PM »
So far they (truck committee) have said I can run the Mustang 2 suspension in the front. But was not clear on how much of the stock frame can be modified. To me the rule clearly states that you must have the stock frame. Since they said I can run a non-stock suspension/steering then I assuming that anything goes as long as the stock frame is intact with only minor notching and clearance for the new suspension. I did ask them clarify the rear suspension/frame as I’m afraid that notching the frame and sectioning the bed to clear the notch will be considered channeling which is illegal. But is the bed considered the Body? Again I have sent them pictures I have found off the web to show them what I plan to do. I commend them for putting the time in during the holidays to help me out.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2015, 08:16:18 PM »
I assume, body means---the sides & front as the  tailgate is handled separately : can be raised, lowered, or removed

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2015, 08:53:57 AM »
Craig's List  find  I found a 95 Extended cab SWB 4x4 roller I am going to look at today it is hit in the passenger side but the frame is supposed to be straight. This will give me a factory frame with 4 wheel drive, there should be less debate as to origin.

Nathan, look up NP203 transfer case---Ford, Dodge and GM all had 1/2, 3/4, and 1 Ton trucks that had Full Time 4x4 trucks with all kinds of eng and trans in the 70's .

they had

4 Low Lock
4 Low
N
4 High
4 High Lock

NO 2 wheel drive position

Update: 2/2/2015

There is a difference between Full Time Four Wheel Drive and AWD All Wheel Drive and is usually in the transfer case.

MOD Pickup Truck rules say Full time Four wheel drive:

Full Time Four Wheel Drive may or may not have an inter-axel diff. but 50% of the power is available to each axel.---usually not the case with AWD
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 02:13:22 PM by SPARKY »

Offline 1leg

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2015, 01:52:46 PM »
Do you plan to run the 95 4wd or do the straight axel?

Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2015, 05:50:53 PM »
I summited that I wanted to run a solid axel with a 205 transfer case.

I now have a 95 GMC 4x4 frame that I will move my 95 GMC 4x2  body over to it---should satisfy 2.P in the rule book.

3.H.1 says you may run any transmission-- so the 205 transfer case should not be any issue.

As far as I know you have always been able to run any axel one wanted--it is the wheelbase that must be correct and you can not run c clip axels, without modifications to eliminate them.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:28:06 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2015, 01:09:17 AM »
Got a Phone call from Jim Dunn today he is going to mail me the ruling since we do not seem to be able to get the internet to work between AZ and CA   :cry: -----is this a bad sign  :evil:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2015, 01:13:35 AM »
We are in a very good spot---we are going to build the roll cage inside a wrecked body that we are going to throw away and then replace with the clean sheet metal we will run. I am sure we will have to cut up the floor which will require is to install secondary flooring to comply with the safety rules.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2015, 09:11:07 AM »
We received a response back from SCTA: 

Bottom line:  you can't run a full time 4 wheel drive blown truck in mod Production unless it was/ is FACTORY PRODUCTION vech.---
 IE a stock vech that you cant run in production supercharged. 

:dhorse:

This most likely is brought on by decisions 20+ years ago with the GMC AWD turbocharged SYCLONE!!!!!!  that they didn't want to add a class for Production Supercharged Trucks so the just s add a run in production class.. 

I am going to drop this for now because it will be a time sucking black hole for me and the volunteers of SCTA---thanks to all for their time and efforts!!!!!

s

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2015, 09:46:24 AM »
I am not sure, but I don't think that anyone makes a FULL time A/4WD pickup - at least in full size.  Maybe one of the minis -- but no big trucks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com