Author Topic: Do I need a steering damper/can i leave bags on?  (Read 5783 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Do I need a steering damper/can i leave bags on?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 01:36:44 AM »
The RWB folks run on a shorter course with one mile to get up to speed, a timed mile, and a mile to slow down.  They do not get records.  It is assumed they will not be going really fast and there are not as many safety requirements as a bike and rider contesting an AMA or FIM record.  It is an opportunity for a person to get some experience without making a big investment.  It is not an addendum to the record classes in this respect - you do not need to meet all of the safety requirements of AMA or FIM plus the RWB requirements.

There is a form called a "Scrutineering Checklist."  The scrutineer fills it out during tech inspection and it lists all requirements.  We refer to it when we check our team bikes before we leave home.  Perhaps a copy is available from BUB for RWB?  This sheet will clarify what is needed.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 09:01:14 AM »
It seems that RWB had a 150 speed limit, most in the class ride in, it is the chance for anyone with a MC license to race on the Bonneville Salt Flats and get a time slip for their bike in a timed mile.   It is cheap, entry level like the 130 club in the USFRA.  Many RWB competitors return to run for AMA records. 
Everyone remember, the rules are the minimum requirement, and it is your butt.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Mobile Welder

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 10:22:46 AM »
Ok.That makes sense now.I am trying to retrofit my scott's steering damper of my YZ to my Triump Sprint.I will fab somthing up for the mounts.As for the teather kill switch ,I may or may not do that.I am safety wiring all the requiered items and more since I have alot of safety wire experience.(I'm also a mechanic at Boeing-C17 Long Beach Ca.) Thanks again for clearing this up. :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 01:58:15 AM »
There is an article about running in the BUB RWB class in this month's (January 2011) Rider magazine.  The author, Clement Salvadori, rides his Triumph T-100 on the salt for the first time.  There might be some good info in that article.

Mobile Welder

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 10:59:34 AM »
Thanks wobbly.I'll check it out.

Offline cranberryroo

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 08:16:28 PM »
You are running into the same thing I was last year. My dad ran RWB without a damper or a lanyard kill switch. Of course they are a good idea, but not required (last year). I haven't seen the new rules for 2011.

I put a scotts on my 125. It's pretty easy to mount it to the triple. I clamped the pin to the head tube. Just make sure your pin is long enough. If you are serious about leaving it on there, Scotts sells mounts you can weld to the frame that hold the pin.