Author Topic: Do I need a steering damper/can i leave bags on?  (Read 5779 times)

Mobile Welder

Do I need a steering damper/can i leave bags on?
« on: December 10, 2010, 07:13:26 PM »
I'm sure it's on here somewhere,but its a big site and i'm new here. I have a 1998 Triumph sprint Executive that I want to run next year at BUB. I've seen photo's of people running with their saddlebags on(hard-bags),like I have on my sprint.Can i leave them on and use them as # plates? And do you need a steering damper at bub like you do at scta? Thanks.

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Do I need a steering damper/can i leave bags on?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 08:23:56 PM »
A good quality steering damper in working order is absolutely a good idea for personal safety.  It is required by the rules, too.

There are a wide range of opinions about saddle bags on LSR bikes.  Personally, I use them on the street and I take them off when I race. 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 08:48:04 PM »
But to answer your question, yes you can run your bags at the Bub... they have a bagger class I think
Definitely run a damper
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 12:30:54 AM »
The steering damper is the most important thing you need. Otherwise you learn the real and true meaning of wiggle, wobble, speed wobble, and tank slapper. Did I mention the salt is a really good sand paper?

I watched a guy doing wheelies on a Honda 90 in a motel parking lot. He was wearing swim trunks. When he bailed he got a huge road rash. The next day at the end of qualifying everybody that wasn't doing record runs made a dash for the salt dyke to go swimming. Including that guy. It really is true what salt in a wound does.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline tomsmith

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 10:25:58 AM »
Salt is really good at cauterizing road rash so you don't bleed as much.  It's a lot better than dirt, cement or asphalt if you have a choice.  And if you have hit hard enough, you don't even notice the salt sting (or whatever you call it).  Once the salt melts out you need to put something else over the rash.  I hope this is helpful.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Mobile Welder

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 10:48:38 AM »
Trust me.I've crashed alot.lol I raced speedway for 3 years in the 80's and D.G. is pretty good sandpaper too. Where can i find a current/semi current ruls book? where is a place to stay by Bonneville?

Offline Bobby c

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 05:56:39 PM »
Mobile!
Go here.
http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/2010_event/index-2010.html

If you have any questions give them a call. Ask for Delvine or Linnea.
Bob

Mobile Welder

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 10:35:45 AM »
Ya,thanks. i've been there for years.Do you need a tether kill switch at bub too?

Online donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 05:13:31 PM »
Mobile,
Yes you need a tether as well as dozens of other rule-related things.
The best thing for you to do is to read the 2010 rules. The 2011 rules will be out sometime around spring next year.
Here is a link to the 2010 AMA rules: http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/2010_event/AMA-BonSR%27s-2010.pdf
Read the rule book and then ask here for anything that is not clear. We will do our best to confuse things.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Mobile Welder

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 06:23:08 PM »
Don,thanks for the link.I'm not so good on the computer.I'm a welder.... :wink:I went there and will scouer it.Thanks.

Mobile Welder

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 09:10:19 PM »
Ok. I've read the rules from 2010. And the rules for the run-what-ya-brung class. If i'm reading it right, In the RWB class you dont need a teather kill switch, just a kill switch you can reach without removing your hands from the handlebars. Can anyone confirm that,or if i'm incorrect,inform me where i miss interpreted that particular rule. Thanks.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 10:02:13 PM »
Why try to avoid the safety rules? They're there to save your butt.

Pete

Mobile Welder

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 11:55:51 PM »
Who's trying to avoid safety rules? I'm trying to clarify what i'm reading.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 12:31:57 AM »
I may have been a little abrupt but it amazes me the number of people who try to avoid rules that are designed to save them in the event of an accident. The reason for the tether rule is that if you and the bike are unintentionally separated then the bike will automatically be shut off. In the last sentence I'm referring to your intentions, not the bike's, which may be exactly the opposite of yours. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Pete

Mobile Welder

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 12:57:16 AM »
I know the reason for the teather rule.Why is it not in the rwb class rules? Thats what i'm getting at. I have raced at the professional leval and expert leval in Enduro,Hare-n-Hound,Speedway,trials(novice only there),And have been on a motorcycle since 1966. My father was a professional flat track racer.I am just trying to read the rules correctly.It doesnt mention the teather or a stabilizer in the rwb class,othere than you cant use a stabilizer as a turn-lock-stop. Is the rwb class an adendum to the record-classes? Thats all I'm trying to find out. Thanks for the advice.