Author Topic: Rearengine Lakester  (Read 16830 times)

Offline interested bystander

Re: Rearengine Lakester
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 06:29:49 PM »
But Freddy HOOKS UP also!

Also I edited my above post to make more sense.

Rex try this site re: Selig (Mageira put me on to his stuff):  PROFOIL-www version 1-1

Also -  UIUC Applied Aerodynamics Group

Selig seems to be the in-house guy.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 07:35:33 PM by interested bystander »
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Mac3170

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 10:17:05 PM »
I am intertested in your project and expect to meet you next year at Maxton.  It is good to see someone actually build their ideas.  Shucks, you are probably going to outrun us & I can plan to meet you when I congratulate you.

Offline jl222

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 03:44:55 PM »
Go to this web site, http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/harvey/harvey-index.html and look at Harvey Itzainta's lakester build. Very similar to your and Harv did a pretty good job of the rear of the car.

Interested Bystander: Yes Fast Freddie's car is the slab sided, rear engine dragster style but he went fast because of having extreme HORSE POWER not because of aerodynamics.

I have not looked at the Selig profile but have stayed with the NACA profiles because of the data that is available and Eric (Blue) suggested this specific profile. I will look up the Selig profiles. Thanks for the info.

Rex

A few years ago I was at a new years party and one of Freds pals was talking about how fast Fred was going and I pointed out that Joe Law was going faster [at that time] with a C motor on parts wash :evil:  the response was but he's streamlined.
  Then Freddy goes 385 mph :-o  Hmm ... enclose the engine, a few aero tricks and a 400 mph LAKESTER? :-o

JL222
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 03:47:51 PM by jl222 »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 04:02:52 PM »
You're right JL. I was standing with Seth when Freddy went by on that 386 mph run. I looked at him and said "now we know a lakester can go 400".  8-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 03:06:55 PM »
It will be interesting when Seth continues his big block engine development "program" as we know he probably will and we see a 500 inch + BBC with a pair of big hair dryers on it making 3000 hp+ and see if his new car can be as fast as his old one and if it would be the first lakester over 400. Wasn't the old lakester going around 318 when it met its demise? I don't think the new car has done that yet.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 03:33:36 PM »
It will be interesting when Seth continues his big block engine development "program" as we know he probably will and we see a 500 inch + BBC with a pair of big hair dryers on it making 3000 hp+ and see if his new car can be as fast as his old one and if it would be the first lakester over 400. Wasn't the old lakester going around 318 when it met its demise? I don't think the new car has done that yet.

Rex

Rex, the old car was indeed somwhere ~318 when it met it's "demise".
The new car ran a 323 mph record average this year with a terminal speed of 327 mph.
As far as turbos go......... he had them before the car was even finished.  8-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline gofast

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2010, 06:05:55 PM »
Conrad,
The car looks great. Will you be there in April? It will be here before we know it.
Bonneville is proof that God loves us and wants us to go fast.

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2010, 07:20:07 PM »
I hope to be there but the car probably won't. Have to rebuild a trailer first. My partner had a hernia operation last Monday which will slow things down. Someone coming Wed to start body.

Offline CruZer

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 05:34:17 PM »
Body started,Conrad. Where   are the pix ???????
 :-D  :evil:

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 03:46:15 PM »
Enclosed are a few new pictures. Over the Holidays we began building a body. The belly pan was constructed from 1/8" Aluminum and body panels are 16 Ga aluminum. Both are 3003 Al. The bottom radius in the bottom panel was rolled by Ed Menard who also TIG welded them to the Belly pan.
   The sway bar was constructed from a pickup swaybar and machined to except Model A rear shock arms.

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 03:49:34 PM »
Forgot to mention the inner body panels. They were built some time ago from 1/8 3003 Al Duzed fastened in  place.We also built a cover from the same material to cover the water pipes  which run through the drivers compartment.

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 09:31:05 AM »
Since the last post we have completed the water tank with the steering shaft passing through it.The tank started out as a 10 gal portable air tank. Installed the 10 lb fire bottle. Finished the rear sway bar. The bar was from a Ford pickup and the arms are rear Model A shock arms. The top body panels were rolled from
.058 3003 Al by Ed Menard and have to be trimmed and fitted.

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 09:36:35 AM »
More pictures I hope.

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 09:39:16 AM »
One more time.

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 02:00:56 PM »
Very nice, high quality and thoughtful construction. Good job!

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor