Author Topic: Rearengine Lakester  (Read 16822 times)

Offline bearingburner

Rearengine Lakester
« on: December 10, 2010, 02:46:43 PM »
Enclosed are a few pictures of a multi year build of our lakester. It is 224" wb with 40" front tread.
We have used Old Ford spring and axel in the front and a 9" with coil overs in the rear. Engine is a bone stock 2.3l turbo Ford with C-4 transmission. Disk brakes are on all 4 corners. Plans are to run Maxton THIS YEAR.

Offline bearingburner

Re: Rearengine Lakester
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 02:48:22 PM »
Here are a few more pictures.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 05:04:18 PM »
You may be all by yourself -- I don't think they have any more meets THIS YEAR.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline debgeo

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 06:14:23 PM »
Maxton has 5 meets next year. Gives you good opportunity to find bugs and go fast. Hopefully you consider going to Salt Flats next year.Keep showing us pictures of progress. Their is a wealth of info and talented people on this site. Good advice comes from sharing pictures as experienced people can help you get ready for tech.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:16:27 PM by debgeo »
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline debgeo

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 06:17:03 PM »
 Jon you need to check this out. I tried to post using the  word [w o r k] no spaces   and when posting it changes to goof-off I had to put spaces between letters or it automatically changes to following

goof-off   goof-off  Am I seeing things.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:25:36 PM by debgeo »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 06:34:20 PM »
I see your car is going to be pretty much a copy of a rear engine dragster, please remember that it is the back end of the car that makes it aero not the pointy front. Looking forward to seeing the final car.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 10:29:22 AM »
For me last year ended Oct 31 at about 2 PM when we left Maxton and this year began

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 01:57:59 PM »
Having skun a knuckle or two on this rig I'll chime in my 2 cents.

Stan,
     Living just up the road in the same time zone I tend to think similar, had there been a realistic chance at making one of the upcoming salt events '11 would have been almost 4 months gone by now.

George,
     Rest assured that I have made it to B'ville, Maxton, and Loring at various times in various ways, as entrant, go fer, and for recon, picking brains and stealing tech on every safari.  This site keeps me connected when life stuff does it's best to interfere.  Hard to find a finer family than LSR.

Rex,
     Aero, wish I knew 10 years ago what I have since learned, always easier on Mondays eh?  Haven't given up on the concept yet, #44 seems to be leaving some aero on the table and still manage to post some stout numbers on the top end.  Just gotta figure out how to make the HP to overcome thats all :-D
Took note of your thoughts about fuel route on the EFI - Busa thread, confirmed some of the directions I had been  leaning as well as opened my eyes to some new ones.  Like your street roadster concept, always thought it would be fun to build something along those lines when I grow up.

Looking forward to getting out again and meeting everyone.

Ed

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 02:11:41 PM »
Ed,

Keep up the good  w o r k .... see you in April.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 12:21:31 PM »
Charles,

Currently the body panels are coming along very well thanks to the help of a couple others.  Still a lot of detail work left as well as life hurdles and hoops for everyone to get over and through in the meantime.  Might not make April but we'd really rather not have to do an initial tune in June either  :-D

When the car does finally show we don't want it to be an embarrassment for all those who have pitched in so much over the last few years.

Still looking forward to checking out Macs for breakfast, think I'll be taking a pass on the liver mush though..........

Ed

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 12:46:36 PM »
Ed,  remember with a new car your first trip to the track (Maxton) has a few objectives
1. Pass tech Inspection.  2. Make a few shake down passes,  3. Tune for a full pass if ready.
 4.  HAVE FUN and SHOW OFF YOUR NEW BUILD...

So get back in the shop,,, April be here before you know it,,,

Yes,, Mac's for Breakfast,,, and NO Liver Mush  LOL

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 12:56:16 PM »
I get the impression that Liver Mush is only available once in a while -- they want to keep it "special" and not have it available everyday.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 04:09:37 PM »
Rex, your comments re: dragster - type Lakesters isn't exactly spot-on.
Although I think some are built with  excessively long wheelbases, lakester ignoring that the need of the long wheelbase at the dragstrip is to control wheelstands caused by their violent weight transfer-might be 400" long if allowed.

Of course, my example, to dispute your contention  is VERY Fast Freddie. An exception that meets the rule, perhaps.

You've been locked into the 6000 series NACA profiles  (at least in plan view, I assume) for some years.

Have you looked into some of the Selig profiles that seem to indicate high laminar flow, especially, record bicycles?  Maybe the Re # is wrong for your performance frame, however.  

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 06:25:39 PM by interested bystander »
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline debgeo

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 04:17:19 PM »
Just for info only, the unassisted human powered bicyicle speed record is 82 mph.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 05:24:50 PM »
Go to this web site, http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/harvey/harvey-index.html and look at Harvey Itzainta's lakester build. Very similar to your and Harv did a pretty good job of the rear of the car.

Interested Bystander: Yes Fast Freddie's car is the slab sided, rear engine dragster style but he went fast because of having extreme HORSE POWER not because of aerodynamics.

I have not looked at the Selig profile but have stayed with the NACA profiles because of the data that is available and Eric (Blue) suggested this specific profile. I will look up the Selig profiles. Thanks for the info.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.