Author Topic: Seat / helmet restraints rule  (Read 4624 times)

Offline RVJ

• New folks
Seat / helmet restraints rule
« on: December 06, 2010, 01:16:57 PM »
There are a lot of comments on the new SCTA rules on head restraint upgrades for next year,

are ECTA rules following the same line on that?

Will it mean we'll have to add support material to what's commercially available..?
(instead of just getting an out-of-the-box intermediate race seat).

Ricardo

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
Re: Seat / helmet restraints rule
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 04:28:46 PM »
ECTA is NOT following the SCTA seat requirements for 2011. We are going to evaluate how to meet this rule and still allow drivers to be able to safely exit their cars in the event of a fire.

I have currently ordered a quantity of SFI 45.2 padding from a manufacturer to upgrade several cars for Bonneville and will keep the forum updated  with pictures.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 10:02:28 PM »
ECTA is NOT following the SCTA seat requirements for 2011. We are going to evaluate how to meet this rule and still allow drivers to be able to safely exit their cars in the event of a fire.

I have currently ordered a quantity of SFI 45.2 padding from a manufacturer to upgrade several cars for Bonneville and will keep the forum updated with pictures.

Joe it sounds like ECTA's position on this is spot on.  One could only hope that SCTA's review of this rule will result in a delay in implementing the rule, thus giving time for better research and then better rule wording.  I know SAFETY is the main objective and I know we all thank the SCTA and ECTA for looking out for us, while being open enough to revisit obvious concerns from the racers and fabricators.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline HemiRod

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 12:58:27 PM »
I thought all cars over 175 mph were going to be required to have some sort of full containment seat or funnycar type cage next year? Also glad to see I'm not the only one thinking of getting out of a burning car in a hurry! I think some sort of lateral support is definately a good idea, but not at the expense of quick and easy egress/extraction. Please keep us posted on this as I'm working on going faster for next year (with all of the freeze plugs staying in) :-D, and I'll need to know how to make my car safer as well.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:03:17 PM by HemiRod »
"When you do things right, no one will be sure you've done anything at all."
C/GRS Record Holder 160.709MPH!

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 06:42:26 PM »
We uderstand the cost thing but even though we are not going to 175 to 200 bills next year, I and we, the wife who drives the car,consider safety over cost to be the way to go. We will install a containment seat and all of the roll cage stuff for 200 plus.the big thing that we have discussed is practicing getting out of the car in the event of an incident. Although no one can plan for every eventuallaty,there is no reason not to plan for going faster. :wink:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline geezer1

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 06:49:44 PM »

I have currently ordered a quantity of SFI 45.2 padding from a manufacturer to upgrade several cars for Bonneville and will keep the forum updated  with pictures.

Hi Joe,
You are still planning to require all ECTA cars over 175 to install a containment type seat (i.e. Ultrashield) next season, right?

Thanks,
Geo Turner
Geezer Racing - (Turner/Herr/Mclellan/Acton/Pranger/Acton/Acton /McDonald/Hascall/Patul)
Trever is in at over 210!!!!!(17 yrs. old) Kyle is in at over 212!!!!! (16 yrs' old)
2 Wins in the Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge in Super Street 2014-2015
5 Different Geezer Drivers set records at Maxton, Loring, and Ohio
We also had the honor to have the fastest Innkeeper in Wilmington Ohio in the Geezer Express
Thank you ECTA and our great LSR Friends! Press On Regardless!!

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 08:19:44 PM »
As "I see it"  the main part of the SCTA's Lateral Head Support rule of concern is the wording/spec saying that the supports must go to the forward/leading edge of the Helmet/Chin Bar.  This is the part of the rule that makes entry and exit a big problem and concern for many set ups. 

The 2" per side does not seem to cause a problem and is a good idea.

containment or "full containment" seats incorporate lateral head supports and the better ones provide shoulder support/containment in conjunction with the head supports. 

Joe's statement said ECTA was waiting to follow SCTA's rule in 2011.... even though more research needs to be done before a final rule is passed, in the interim if you a buying or building a new seat please choose/build  a seat that gives you as much protection as it can in your given application,,,

If I was looking to buy a new seat, I would make sure it had Lateral Head Supports and that they came out at least past 60% of the depth of the helmet. (and could be modified if the SCTA rule stands as written and is adopted by ECTA and LTA),

Feel free to contact me if you need specific info from my data or research.

Charles

E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline HemiRod

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 09:31:06 PM »
What about some sort of quick release on the seat restraint or cage? If the lateral supports were hinged at the rear of the seat,and some sort of latch were used to hold them in place during use, wouldn't that allow for a quick exit without the expense of ones safety?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 09:38:57 PM by HemiRod »
"When you do things right, no one will be sure you've done anything at all."
C/GRS Record Holder 160.709MPH!

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 10:42:09 PM »
What about some sort of quick release on the seat restraint or cage? If the lateral supports were hinged at the rear of the seat,and some sort of latch were used to hold them in place during use, wouldn't that allow for a quick exit without the expense of ones safety?

Yes it could be done, I had considered it as well.  

Roddy, you could surely get in and out of your car with side supports like mine, so there would be no need to fab up a hinge set up. But that would be an option,, with your fab skills, should be easy for you if you wanted to go that route.

Talk soon,

Charles

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:23:03 PM by Cajun Kid »
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
Hi Joe,
You are still planning to require all ECTA cars over 175 to install a containment type seat (i.e. Ultrashield) next season, right?

Thanks,
Geo Turner

George,
    Yes, ECTA IS requiring full containment seats above 175mph for 2011.

We are not going to enforce the seat helmet sides to extend to the front of the helmet. This is a great idea that SCTA has required but some of you may experience problems getting in and out with the additional length. A hinged left side may be an answer but it does require another release to pull. What does one do if it jams after an incident?
    I have no doubt that you racers will find a way...we always do!!!

Joe Timney

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 12:18:15 PM »

Roddy, you could surely get in and out of your car with side supports like mine, so there would be no need to fab up a hinge set up. But that would be an option,, with your fab skills, should be easy for you if you wanted to go that route.

Talk soon,

Charles

Charles, could you post a pic of your set up for reference?
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 03:35:30 PM »

Talk soon,

Charles

Charles, could you post a pic of your set up for reference?

Cap, yes I already have, look under the Bonneville forum SCTA Rules and I have a thread called Lateral Support Pics.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 11:22:11 AM »
I just got a small car (really small-Civic) and of course I want to see how fast it might really go. If I haven't learned anything else down there, it's the safest place to do it and speedometers lie. Will a Snell 2005 or 2010 motorcycle helmet be acceptable? Both Honda and I promise we won't go over 135.

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 12:53:06 PM »
Yes, page 18 in the rule book.
Joe Timney