Author Topic: WB cartoons and use on private race cars  (Read 5345 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

WB cartoons and use on private race cars
« on: December 04, 2010, 04:36:02 PM »
Anyone know if Warner Bros. get pizzy with using their toons on non monetary gaining race vehicles?

Lets say someone were to use road runner, speedy g., speed buggy or coyote with rocket or other on their vehicle or trailer, or used it as a mascot.

I know Disney can be real sketchy about use of any of their stuff.

Just wondering....

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: WB cartoons and use on private race cars
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 06:37:41 PM »
Jonny,
I am sure that cartoony images are copyrighted, but don't think you need to be worried that an army of lawyers will come after you. I have had Donald Duck on my bikes for years and so far have escaped prosecution. There is an exception to the copyright rule if the use is for research, and that is what all of us do with our vehicles, right?

My motto is "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission."

Don

550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 06:55:13 PM »
Disney isn't sketchy at all, if they see or hear of it and didn't specifically authorise it's use a legal letter will soon be on it's way. As for Warner Brothers... unknown. It is copyright material, but I've seen their toons on a lot of things (including people - tats).

Offline WildBro

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 03:23:03 PM »
It ok with me, ask Dan if he's ok with it.  If so, you're good to go  :-D

Bill Warner
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 03:52:36 PM »
Its Ok with me too. I think our legal dept. will issue cease use order as soon as they find out the cartoon character is been used on a green Fiat.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 04:25:14 PM »
About 25 years ago I started playing gigs with , wait for it  guy called Dan Worner..just the two of us.......we called ourselves The Warner Brothers. About eighteen months after that we got a rhythm section and it really started to get kind of busy, then we made a record.....then it got airplay,national. Then we got a letter. You know what it said.

Our legal advise said " unless you buy assetts in the U.S they can't touch you, the onus is on the plaintiff here and any court would view what you do as not attempting to mimic or pass-off , let ém sweat, the publicity is worth it

so we did, for two years.

Then we got a letter that stated they were about to lodge an ambit claim against our income over the previous five years, apparently 1 Million ,because it had been earned under a name that they believed was theirs... it was a ridiculous notion but as our advise said anytime a hearing is listed that mentions that sort of money there will be serious interest from the Tax Office.

We changed our name.

The bottom line was it was some little Subaru in a local office trying to big note himself to head office back in the U.S.....

Yes Dan , he drinks beer but no he don't race.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 08:26:20 PM »
Yeah but, you guys have Summer in December. Go figure.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 04:34:30 AM »
Yeah but, you guys have Summer in December. Go figure.

DW

Summer?....I think we're having a re-enactment of the Old Testament here at the moment......biggest floods for 35 years, locust plagues....after ten years of severe drought AND the worst death toll ever here to fires January just gone......hmmmmmm.

Anyways , Johnny I think you're overcomplicating it.I don't put signage on our car unless of course we're getting a dollar out of it, now, put the coyote on yer car and send the Bros an invoice. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 11:21:15 AM »
Just north of Grand Rapids is the city of Rockford. The city council named their news letter the  "Rockford Files "... I don`t need to tell you how that worked out , Do I ??
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 11:39:28 PM »
About 25 years ago I started playing gigs with , wait for it  guy called Dan Warner..just the two of us.......we called ourselves The Warner Brothers.

Hey
I think saw those guys recently
They used to pretty good
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 01:59:19 PM »
  Just a question, If you tatoo Daffy Duck on your behind and they get a court order to make you remove it, do they skin you like a Buffalo?   :roll:               Bob
Bob Drury

Offline dw230

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 09:50:24 PM »
Daffy is not a part of the bet between Nutz and I.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline salt27

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 01:17:03 AM »
Daffy is not a part of the bet between Nutz and I.

DW
If not Daffy, how about Donald? :-D
Go Ducks!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 04:10:52 PM »
I hand painted Wile Coyote on the back of my roadster a few years back when I entered as the Acme Racing--Coyote Special and never gave it a second thought. I've never seen a WB executive on the salt or El Mirage and my car never got "prime time" TV coverage. Not big enough buck for that... I've got a great black sweat shirt with 6 views of the coyote and Acme Racing embroidered over them.

If you do it with "One Shot" stripping paint it can be removed with EZ OFF oven cleaner and a stubby cut paint with out damaging paint after a few years. (at least acrylic enamel). Oh yeah no clear coat...........JD   
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 04:58:44 PM »
Many years ago a good friend of mine, Ken Nelson, campaigned an exhibition wheelstander called the "General Lee". Looked just like a certain car by the same name on TV. It wasn't too long before he got a nice letter from WB asking him to stop, which he did. But by that time the newness had worn off and booking were way down.
In general, these companies don't want a big legal battle. They just want to retain exclusive use of their trademarked items.
Will weld for beer :cheers: