Author Topic: Info needed on early Ford 4 cyl engines  (Read 21906 times)

Offline Kato Engineering

Info needed on early Ford 4 cyl engines
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2006, 01:57:29 PM »
.....is there a problem with welding or bolting in the added  main saddles...?

I seem to rember it being done before....

Offline RichFox

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2006, 02:12:49 PM »
No problem. You are right, many of the V4 cars have 5 main cranks. The V4F guys were susposed to stick with OEM bottom ends, but there is no rule stopping someone from adding bearings

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
History
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2006, 03:07:53 PM »
I saw the added main bearing in common use for LSR over 50 years ago.
If that means anything, it is likely not to change for the cars. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

JohnR

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2006, 12:11:03 AM »
Quote from: RichFox
V4F guys were susposed to stick with OEM bottom ends

It depends on whats "OEM". Running a stock casting for the block is OEM enuf for me. changing the main caps, changing the bearing design, adding a girdle etc... is called hot rodding!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2006, 10:27:13 AM »
At the time the class was being discussed there was a "gentleman's agreement" that 5 main bearing cranks would not be installed in engines that came with 3 mains. Girdles or other stiffening modifications were not mentioned to me. There is no rule that I know of stopping anyone from installing a 5 main crank in a flathead V4.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Let's see
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2006, 10:47:58 AM »
Let's see if I got it.
Poured bearings, dipper caps, and cotter pins are all set.
What do you mean they never require anybody to pull the pan ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline RichFox

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2006, 11:54:26 AM »
Poured bearings, dipper caps, cotter pins? What are you talking about? That may be true for Ford guys, but not me. And yes I still have the seal on my pan from the first day the V4F class was run. What's to look at? I saw it all when I put it togeather.

JohnR

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2006, 12:15:09 PM »
Quote from: RichFox
At the time the class was being discussed there was a "gentleman's agreement" that 5 main bearing cranks would not be installed in engines that came with 3 mains. Girdles or other stiffening modifications were not mentioned to me. There is no rule that I know of stopping anyone from installing a 5 main crank in a flathead V4.

But Rich,

I cant run 30 psi boost without 5 mains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you want me to twittle about with 100 hp? :o

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Press on.
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2006, 12:19:45 PM »
Forward thinking will often get you ahead.
Some of the "Gentlemen" want you to wait up for them.
To save time we are going to cut the main bearing caps right into the pan. We will have to do the finish grinding after heat treat. We estimate the pan should weigh about 80 pounds. The big decision is to go with 4120 or 4340. In keeping with tradition we are going with 3 main bearings, the other two will be secondary. LOL :wink:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2006, 01:38:59 PM »
As of this year there is a Blown Vintage Flathead Four engine class. I would assume that you can have as many main bearings as you can get in the thing. The V4F class was supposed to be more or less true to pre-war type engines. More or less.                                                            When I was running the OHV V4 Ply. I converted one to a two main engine at about the mile. It was a pretty advanced design with variable displacement. This was the Blizzard meet. I was so cold I just wanted to go home anyway. My next OHV Ply lasted a little longer and when it went out in a blaze of glory I built the flatmotor.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
4120 vs 4340:
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2006, 03:45:42 PM »
Jack,
There is no comparison between a 4100 steel and a 4300 series for your application. The 4300, i.e. 4340, series is the best reasonably available steel for any part that is going to be machined from a pretty big chunk. It machines well and heat treats well also and will give the very best life while providing the best strenght and toughness. Usually the chromium 4100 steels are used for thin sections, tubing, sheet etc where as the nickel based 4300s are for thick sections that are going to have some serious machining and heat treating done to them.  I know that I am probably not telling you anything new but my experience with 4340 and 300 M (triple vacume melted 4340) have been so outstanding I would not even consider anything else.  I only use the 4100 series for frames and brackets.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2006, 04:05:52 PM »
That secondary bearing idea bears looking into, Yogi.  Maybe that's what the Hardly guys need.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
PULL POWER
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2006, 07:08:05 PM »
Pulling legs to the edge of wetness is an art that few have mastered.
I have a lot of faith in you guys. :wink:

Offline Kato Engineering

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2006, 03:36:32 AM »
......??

HUMM........???

...but the "half saddle main" additions built into the oil pan is nothing new.

....even my dad did that back in the '40's

it was made out of just plain o'l 1025 or 1040 astm steel..there was just about NO 4130 /4340 back before the war.

Offline Kato Engineering

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2006, 03:43:28 AM »
...JACK,

a good  and healty dose of good old cooking oil or just plain 'ol GREASE will make the tail grabbing and leg pulling exercise a LOT more interesting...

........the sharpness of the PULL,
...and / or the amount that it is pulled will usually determine the results of the reaction....