Author Topic: Info needed on early Ford 4 cyl engines  (Read 21907 times)

Offline RichFox

Info needed on early Ford 4 cyl engines
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 04:21:26 PM »
Thats pre Chrysler corp

JohnR

Re: need help
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 04:54:04 PM »
Quote from: RichFox
May make an IR injection setup more work than you planned.

Rich,

This whole project is more work than I planned! But thats OK :lol:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 05:07:14 PM »
I am sure you are aware that the V4F class is, at this time, limited to modified roadsters. If you install one in some other body type you will run against OHV and OHC bangers. They are much faster. Of course in the blown classes the records are pretty low or nonexistant. All the cars that are running now have Ford engines, save one loser using a Plymouth. Chevy fours were always OHV. If you feel like making chips anyway, I'd look for a Dodge.

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 06:41:43 PM »
Yes, the V4F is an El Mirage only class right now. If it becomes a Bonneville Class then that just opens up more avenues.

I figured I would try it as a flathead first. If not, I actually do have a few of the Honda heads in the garage. The Honda is a B series engine so I assume it should bolt right up to Ford B series engine right? Thats what the B signifies isn't it??? :o

Offline RichFox

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 07:23:03 PM »
Hopefully when they vote tomorrow the V4F class will be approved for Bonneville. Maybe at the same time, more body classes will be allowed for V4F

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 07:26:02 PM »

If I remember right the head in the picture didn't come on that motor.  Maybe the car owner or someone else can elaborate on what they did.

There are 2 more pictures ( HERE ).

c ya, Sum

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2006, 07:38:15 PM »
The angle the engine's sitting kinda reminds me of Creel's (speaking of 4-Bangers) after he added the crankcase ventilation.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

dwarner

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2006, 11:50:13 PM »
I don't know whats wrong with my eyes but I count 6 exhaust ports and 6 intake ports.

The pictured engine is a GMC with a 12 port head, either a Wayne, Howard or some other. It could also be a Wayne Chev angled intake ports would be the identifier for this head. The GMC 12 ports had the intake ports perpendicular to the head.

DW

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2006, 12:29:16 AM »
Quote from: dwarner
I don't know whats wrong with my eyes but I count 6 exhaust ports and 6 intake ports.

The pictured engine is a GMC with a 12 port head, either a Wayne, Howard or some other. It could also be a Wayne Chev angled intake ports would be the identifier for this head. The GMC 12 ports had the intake ports perpendicular to the head.

DW

Dan, yes it is a 6.  I think it had a Datsun/Nissan or Toyoto head on it.  I didn't mean to represent it as a 4, but the possibilities John has with a head of a different make, like he was kidding (maybe not) about the Honda head on the Ford 4.

c ya, Sum

Offline hitz

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2006, 01:15:02 AM »
Sum,
  These GMC and Chevy six's with 12 port heads where the nastiest sounding cars I ever heard. I saw two of them go off together at the Santa Ana drags in the early 50's and still haven't forgot the sound.
  The early Toyota jeep type(land crusiers?)came with what looked exactly like a Chevy to me. The rocker arm cover looks like a original GMC part on the car in your picture.
  The Ford A and B's where fun in their day but most people who compete with the flatheads just must have a love affair going with them. Cheers to them all!! :wink:

Hitz

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2006, 10:02:34 AM »
I think I screwed up  :oops: ,  easy for me to do.  I think the picture I posted might not be the car I was thinking of.  The one I was thinking of I thought had a flathead 6 motor that the person had converted a cam in the head DOHV head to from an import.  This one does look to be a push rod OHV motor.  Dan you are probably right about the heads and block  :wink: .

c ya, Sum

Offline RichFox

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2006, 01:53:58 PM »
Looks like Ferguson,s XX/MR to me. If you want pictures of bangers with other than OEM heads look up the F.A.S.T. people. I guess they have a web page. Anyone want a Plymouth OHV conversion using a Y block head, with Hilborns, Cheap. Must pickup. Contact me.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2006, 02:03:51 PM »
www.hotforhotfours.com   or email jimb3@earthlink.net to subscribe

Offline RichFox

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2006, 02:43:58 PM »
Or maybe Keith Young's car

Offline RichFox

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2006, 12:19:42 PM »
It is my understanding that V4F classes have been approved for almost all body styles, for Bonneville and El Mirage. This is good news I think.