Author Topic: Info needed on early Ford 4 cyl engines  (Read 21924 times)

JohnR

Info needed on early Ford 4 cyl engines
« on: January 02, 2006, 12:09:00 PM »
I am looking for information on early (1935 and before) Ford 4 cylinder flathead engines.

My current knowledge basically consists of:

1. They have "flat" heads (whatever that means)
2. They are not V8's

Specifically I am looking for a book that documents installing a late model Honda DOHC VTEC head, Big turbo and EFI onto one (thats a joke).

Anybody have any links? I have searched till I am blue and can only find V8 stuff.

Thanks!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
info
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 01:06:19 PM »
Check with Roy Creel, he runs them
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 01:07:57 PM »
http://users.aol.com/gmaclaren/dyno.html  This is on Model B engines, search under model A for earlier info or contact one of the vintage 4 racers

trader

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 09:27:23 PM »
another link for you...

http://www.secretsofspeed.com/

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Books on 4 cyls at Automotive Book Store:
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 01:32:28 PM »
John,
Go to the "Automotive Book Store" in Burbank, can't remember the street, but they have some magazines put out by the guys that still work on A and B motors. Neat store, if you haven't been there make sure that you have lots of time as they have almost every magazine and book ever written about cars.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

dwarner

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 01:53:40 PM »
The store is:

Auto-Aero Books, on Magnolia, East of Hollywood Way in Burbank.

Email Jim Miller, he has been picking up copies of the magazine Rex mentioned.

miller212.842@sbcglobal.net

DW

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 02:16:50 PM »
Hey Rex, do ya think they have many motorcycle books?

Offline Rex Schimmer

Motorcycle mags at Automotive Book Store:
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 03:26:05 PM »
1212FBGS,
If its got wheels they have books on it, tons of motorcycle stuff, both racing and street. As I said before, if you haven't been there make sure that you have lots of time! When ever I go to LA LA land I set aside at least 3 hours for my visit. The place is really bitchen!!!

Rex
Rex

dwarner

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 03:32:29 PM »
Plus a Koffee Klatch on Saturday mornings 8-10. You may have celebrity present if your into that sort of thing.

DW

Offline Rex Schimmer

Only 3 main bearings!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 12:35:09 AM »
John,
Enough BS! From the man that got 600 hps from a 1500 cc rice burner what in the hell are you looking at a B motor for!!!??? Valves are in the wrong place and the crank has only got 3 main bearings! 25 psi of boost will just jack it out of the block, which of course is cracked because it is 74years old!!!! But if you made it work it would really be something!

John, tell us your plan.

Rex
Rex

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 01:52:13 AM »
Rex, you give me too much credit!

The reason I am looking at the B is because I honestly don't know anything about them. My initial post was pretty much accurate. I know the heads are flat! Thats about it!

I just think it would be fun to come at the problem (making HP) from a totally different angle. Doing the flathead four seemed like such a quantum leap from my present car that it intrigues me.

Making the HP with the Honda is easy. It revs to the moon and the stock head breathes better than most high dollar aftermarket Chevy heads. All that is gone (long gone!) if I start with a B.

I thought it would be neat to take a B, make a crank girdle, put a good set of rods and pistons in it. Probably have to run an external oil pump, Make a new high compression head and do up a neat I-R fuel injection manifold & header and see what it will do. Honestly, I will probably find that it makes less HP than what others have done in the past but I will enjoy doing it and learn something. Then I'll throw a big ass turbo on it!

But, all that is in the future. Right now, the Civic is parked, patiently waiting for the first event in May. I am spending all my time on my drag racing minivan (1989 Dodge Caravan!!!). I need to get the new turbo motor done and back in within the next month or so. That way I have time to make a few runs and blow it up before I switch back to SCTA runnning. I won't start then B project (if at all) untill I finish (i.e. blow up) the Caravan. But that should only take a couple of months.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 11:11:59 AM »
John what body would you run the V4 in.  If I read the rules right you can only run the turbo in a lakester or streamliner and I believe the same for EFI.  It does look like you could run maybe a centrifugal blower or a small roots as there are records with those.

Blown fuel streamliner is only 99 mph and blown gas is 86 mph where as the un-blown in those two classes is over 200.  I think I would know where I would concentrate my efforts  8) .

Looks like the above is also true in the lakester class.  You could make a pretty quick streamliner or lakester, maybe it would fit in mine  :D.  I converted the datsun IRS rear for chain drive, but I have a second one and it could go in the other ones place in the car and provide normal drive shaft drive.

c ya and it will be interesting to see what you do.  Personally I think you still have about another 150 hp left in your current motor and a 220 mph run,

Sum

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 11:37:28 AM »
Quote from: Sumner
John what body would you run the V4 in.  ...

Personally I think you still have about another 150 hp left in your current motor and a 220 mph run,

Sum

I have not really decided what I will do with the V4. Right now it is more of an engineering exersize than a practical one. Since I am (at heart) an EFI & Turbo guy, the only SCTA option is really Streamliner or Lakester. But, There is a very real chance this will end up as a roadster engine for a street car and then run it as time only at El Mirage just to see what it is capable of.

I have no intention of leaving the Honda "as-is". It is my primary car and even with the current power levels, has at least a 205 MPH run in it. You are right about the available power, it is in it's most conservative tune. The wastegate was running "on the spring". I could not turn the boost down anymore!

The trouble is that Bonneville only comes twice a year and the car is ready to run NOW!. I am sitting here with all sorts of time and my ADD (attention deficit disorder!!) is making me need to start my next project!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 11:53:17 AM »
Quote from: John Romero
But, There is a very real chance this will end up as a roadster engine for a street car and then run it as time only at El Mirage just to see what it is capable of.

Take the motor out of the lakester or Streamliner the rest of the year and put it in that roadster.

Quote from: John Romero
The trouble is that Bonneville only comes twice a year and the car is ready to run NOW!. I am sitting here with all sorts of time and my ADD (attention deficit disorder!!) is making me need to start my next project!

You can always come to Utah and help me  :roll: .

c ya, Sum

Offline RichFox

need help
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 04:20:15 PM »
You should be aware that all flathead bangers that I have seen have 2 intake ports. May make an IR injection setup more work than you planned. Most OHV converted bangers have 5 main bearing conversions installed. Per Chrysler Corp Dodge Bros. 4s came with 5 mains.