Author Topic: What Seat For 2011?  (Read 16971 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: What Seat For 2011?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 04:40:20 PM »
Sooner or later someone will figure out the conflict... if the driver has a seat with a lateral restraint that extends to the front of the helmet, they won't have 120 degrees of forward vision....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

saltfever

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 09:57:07 PM »
Gee Stainless, you made me look it up. But good point . . . page 36, 3.U windows, windshields . . ."shall provide 120 degrees of adequate vision forward". No way blinders up to the front edge of the helmet will provide 120 degrees. So we now have a new rule implemented that conflicts with another safety rule. I wonder if anybody actually suited up with a HANS and climbed into a system that is being mandated. Who did the test and in what kind of car? Maybe there is no test data, just another good intention.

I am not opposed to the idea at this time. But I haven't tried to fit everything into my car and it may not work. For sure, I will not have 120 degrees of vision. I wonder what kind of thinking and analysis went into this new requirement. The HNRS implementation is a reasonable adoption that has been planned. The lateral extension seems to be a last minute idea with no thought as to how it will inhibit egress in various cars when incorporated with a HNRS device.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 10:12:34 PM by saltfever »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 09:56:41 AM »
It sounds like time for Mr. Pedantic to step in.  Disclaimer:  I have no dog in this fight.

That said, if the rule about 120 visibility declares that "windows and windshields must offer at least 120 degrees of visibility" (or however it is worded) -- then the obstruction of view by the lateral support of the helmet isn't discussed -- isn't part and parcel of the requirement, and therefore there's no conflict.  The windows still offer that 120 degrees.

Yes, I know it's a silly interpretation, but that's just the nature of pedanticity.  Picky, picky, but that's what it says.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 10:27:29 AM »
Jon, you are a piece of work,,, we are just not sure what piece,,, LOL   :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 10:40:10 AM »
Thanks, Charles.  I'm on the way out to the garage now.  I've gotta get "Melty", the '82 F-150 plow truck (so called 'cause it caught fire once and melted all of the underhood wiring) ready to plow the 10 - 18 inches of snow in the forecast through tomorrow noon.  I'll be back here later.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 03:14:45 PM »
Slim do your thing so the snow doesn't  come east.

Offline RVJ

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 01:28:54 PM »
Are there any studies on crash impact / helmet restraints made by big sanctioning bodies , like NASCAR or Indy Champs that might be useful for figuring out how much , or how far out are the helmet side restraints need to be?
I suppose they should be out for public use or for other bodies to use? what  about the seat builders themselves ?
There seems to be a big price jump from an intermediate to a high -end seat, and getting worse with additional restraints..

Ricardo

Offline jww36

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 05:55:09 PM »
If anyone is interested, I have an aluminum LaJoie racing seat for sale. Excellent condition. Compatable for larger driver. No lateral helmet restraints although tabs are in place to fasten if needed. Approximate weight is 16 pounds. $575. Shipping approximately $35.
John Weatherwax
Redhunter1936@aol.com

saltfever

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 07:29:42 PM »
Are there any studies on crash impact / helmet restraints made by big sanctioning bodies , like NASCAR or Indy Champs . . . I suppose they should be out for public use or for other bodies to use? what  about the seat builders themselves ? . . . Ricardo

I have looked and found nothing so far. The problem is that testing is extremely expensive. That means those that paid for it own the intellectual property. Hardly anybody is willing to give it away. Undoubtedly, NASCAR and NHRA have spent many $$ on testing but I doubt you would ever get the data only a rule book specification. Even if a University has done research under a grant the grantor gets all the data. The best bet would be to find a graduate student's thesis with sled-testing results. SFI has several specifications you can buy; 39.1(custom seats) and 39.2 (Standard seats). While SFI's stated goal is Public Disclosure of specs, I think what they mean by "public" is you get it if you pay for it. Specs range in price $35-$45 and upward. Many companies, or organizations can become affiliates or sponsors of SFI. SCTA is an affiliate and problay has SFI specs on file somewhere. I have a call into SFI and will report here what I find out.