Author Topic: What Seat For 2011?  (Read 16969 times)

saltfever

What Seat For 2011?
« on: December 03, 2010, 04:58:41 PM »
I was anticipating the Lateral helmet support rule this year and it is time to get a new seat anyway. I went to SEMA to meet seat manufactures to help me make a purchase decision. Unfortunately, no seat manufacturers (e.g.  Kirkey, Butler, etc) were there.

I will have difficulty fitting everything into my small sedan. I am already cutting out my swing pedals and seat mounts and moving things around. My cage hoop will have to be cut-out and located farther back. These issues have already been identified by John Langlio in another thread. Since I can’t relocate anything until I have a new seat, it is imperative I get a seat ASAP!

Can anybody recommend a seat brand, or model number they think will satisfy the new requirement. Please don’t worry about size. I just want your recommendation. I will cut-and-fit car internals if that is the best solution.

Will someone from SCTA please tell me what inclusive of structure deflection means! I am not criticizing, or whining I just don’t understand the terminology. I have to start cutting now . . . please help.

If this was covered in another thread, my apologies. Where is it, I'll go there.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: What Seat For 2011?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 05:28:03 PM »
Just a few thoughts before you buy the new seat.

If you want the seat to also provide the lateral head support (rather than a funny car cage set up .. or other  etc..) make sure to let them know the 2" per side rule and the width of your helmet.

As to seats.

I use an ISP full containment seat with integrated shoulder and lateral head supports.

Others I have seen and have done the research on are Butler, Ultra Shield, LaJoies.

Good luck with your research and purchase decision.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 05:33:59 PM »
I would check with Lee Kennedy or Steve Davies for a definition. We would all be speculating. Both are listed in the "Contact us" section of the SCTA Web page.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

saltfever

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 05:57:54 PM »
Many thanks, Charles. You have always been a big help with many of your postings. You gave me two names I haven't heard before. That is what I'm looking for.

Wow! I looked at the inside of your car for the first time on photobucket. Beautiful job. I wish you would bring your car to Bonneville. I noticed your lateral supports on the seat. Do they meet the new forward helmet dimension?
 :cheers:

saltfever

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 06:06:27 PM »
Jimmy someone with your experience, and even you can't speculate on the terms. A rule shouldn't be written that way. And thanks for the referral.  :-)

saltfever

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 08:02:47 PM »
Here is a picture of a Butler seat. It meets the new SFI 39.1 seat specification and is required by NASCAR this year. I can't tell from the picture but it looks like the side restraints may not be not long enough to extend to the forward most portion of the helmet.

Can't find a lot of information on the new SFI 39.1 specs. Anybody know the G-force it is tested to?

BTW: The new rule change does not require SFI 39.1. I was just interested.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:14:17 PM by saltfever »

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 12:35:10 AM »
Crawford Composites http://www.crawfordcomposites.com/ took their Indy car seat and modified it for NASCAR use, and about three years ago they had this at the PRI show. At that time were also trying to get NHRA approval for use in top fuel cars.  This takes a seat insert and is fitted to the driver (in my opinion, a fitted seat insert is the safest way to go).  Also the last time I talked to Max Crawford, Richard Petty Motor Sports had some seats minus the inserts for sale very cheap.  Tony

“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

saltfever

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 01:41:30 AM »
Thanks, Tony. SCTA takes a reasonable approach and allows a lot of latitude in selecting a seat. I agree with you a form-fitting seat would always be best if it met all structural requirements. The only restriction to a composite seat is SCTA page 26 "composite seats must be pre-approved by the technical committee".

In my research today I found ISP to be an interesting sight. (Thanks, Charles). They have this Pour in Place Seat kit
http://ispseats.com/id101.html

With detailed instructions. The procces is quite interesting.
http://www.dragracingonline.com/technical/2007/ix_12-foam-1.html

This is not a totally composite seat but a form fitting composite to be poured into an existing seat. Don't know if this is what Keith Turk reported on a few years ago. The only potential issue I see with SCTA tech is the 1" maximum padding restriction. If the pour is not considered padding there should not be a problem.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 01:57:04 AM by saltfever »

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 02:02:02 AM »
I am going to be using the seat system from this company http://www.baldspotsports.com/ to pour the seats for the roadster. Everyone that's driving the car will have there own seat. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline dw230

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 02:28:17 AM »
Saltfever,

With 465 posts you have never heard of Section 16, Contact Information, in the rulebook?

This section lists all the people who can best answer your questions specific to a particular area. This includes office contacts, specific category chairpersons and class committee chairpersons. IA valuable resource if you read your rulebook far enough. There is also a very nice advertisers section back there listing vendors who support our sport.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

saltfever

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 02:37:51 AM »
Thanks for that link, Tony. One good thing about that site is it gives the SFI 45.2 spec that the foam was tested to. So far the only seat manufacturer I have found to do that. If you get a chance click on their test results. For one thing the G-force developed were an eye opener!  Maybe I'm wrong but 6 meter/sec is about 15mph. Which seemed like a low speed for such a test of that kind of product. But when you see it developed 150 Gs Yikes!! And that is the pass/fail threshold for the SFI spec.

http://www.baldspotsports.com/aboutus/BSSFact_Force1.pdf

Great idea about having one for each driver. I'm going to look into this further. I might call you.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:49:56 AM by saltfever »

saltfever

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 02:48:10 AM »
With 465 posts you have never heard of Section 16, Contact Information, in the rulebook?DW

Yes, and the office staff is even nicer than you!   :-D :-D

I left a message and waiting for a call back from Lee Kenedy.

Offline dw230

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 03:42:58 AM »
"Will someone from SCTA please tell me what inclusive of structure deflection means!"

You asked this question, I was trying to help. Looks like you went where you should have before posting.

Good luck,
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

saltfever

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 04:47:59 AM »
See reply #2 above from Jimmy. I called Lee after his suggestion, not before I started this thread.
Thank you and I hope to see you, "you know where" next summer!  :-D :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 04:54:05 AM by saltfever »

Offline jl222

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 04:29:31 PM »
Here is a picture of a Butler seat. It meets the new SFI 39.1 seat specification and is required by NASCAR this year. I can't tell from the picture but it looks like the side restraints may not be not long enough to extend to the forward most portion of the helmet.

Can't find a lot of information on the new SFI 39.1 specs. Anybody know the G-force it is tested to?

BTW: The new rule change does not require SFI 39.1. I was just interested.

Yea it looks like it does't come out far enough, also when enlarging the pic notice how the left side padding tapers at front and right side does not. Not sure but probably to be able to exit the car. Hopefully these side supports will be sufficient for SCTA.

JL222