Author Topic: Datsun Modified Sports Build  (Read 10799 times)

Offline manifest

Datsun Modified Sports Build
« on: December 01, 2010, 11:20:42 AM »
We have been building on this car for 6 years now.  What once was going to be a mild street car turned into a super low road race styled approach then about a year ago we decided a land speed car would be its best use.  The body and front suspension are going to stay stock for the most part.  I moved the top strut mounts up and built new control arms that are adjustable. Tubular cross member with plenty of room for the Mopar wedge powerplant we intend to run.  A jerico dr4 is in the works and a 9in. housing is held in place with a triangulated fourlink.  Dual caliper rear disc will keep it from rolling along with dual chutes I believe.  Firewall back is all 1-5/8" tube chassis.  Plan to build a more aero front end with completely disguising the cars original shape.  Slow going now because of customer cars but hope to jump back into it after the first of the year.

Zach
Manifest of Speed
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 01:48:29 PM by manifest »

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: Modified Sports Build
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 11:29:35 AM »
Post some pictures. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline manifest

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 11:30:12 AM »
Tryin to.  Think they are to big.

Offline manifest

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 12:28:27 PM »
OK so I can get the pictures to upload.  Check out my blog if the pictures.  It's work safe.

www.manifestofspeed.blogspot.com

Zach

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 01:14:52 PM »
I gather you're talking about the Datsun. :? :? :?

Pete

Offline manifest

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 01:47:11 PM »
Yes sir.

Offline NathanStewart

Re: Datsun Modified Sports Build
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 06:05:50 PM »
Cool.  I LOVE the Ghia.  One of my favorite cars at Speed Week. 

What's the time line on the Datsun?  What?  Dat-soon?   :-D
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 09:37:10 PM »
Hi Manifest looks like you are off to a nice start. What speeds are you wanting to go ? :cheers:
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline manifest

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 08:42:10 AM »
We hope to have the Datsun ready by Aug-Sept of 2011 if everything goes well.  Dad's trying to sell his motorcycle to help fund the project a little better right now.  The hardest part is done I hope.  We are going to run the motor out of my NHRA super stock dodge dart to begin with I think.  The stock stroke .030over bore 383 motivates a 3200# dart into the 130-132mph range in the 1/4 with a jerico on 31in tall M/Ts with stock size valves going thru the traps at 7800rmp.  We think with adding a dry sump and a carb bigger than the 625cfm carter avs we are restricted to in the dart we can get into the 190-200mph range at bonneville and 160-170mph at maxton.  We have talked of de-stroking a 440 to be in the upper limits of B/GMS.  I have talked with some outlaw drag racing buddies about a centrifugal blower and we may end up running a rons fuel injection set up also... all of that is still just dreams.

Zach

Offline debgeo

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 09:02:50 AM »
Dreams are a good place to start.  :-) :-) :-) :-)
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline lvsalt

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 10:33:50 PM »
 in the 200mph range with the Z allow plenty of space to add weight. Ive been around a few times  :-o

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 10:48:40 PM »
"I've been around a few times."

Ya mean like around and around?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline manifest

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 08:13:24 AM »
Yea we found out how important weight and spring pressure is at SW with our ghia this year (thru the 2 backwards).  In the Datsun the 2x3 front frame rails and some of the other larger dia tubing will have fill bungs in them so we can add weight inside of them and also have mounting points for weight placed throughout the car naturally. 

Zach 

Offline manifest

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 08:33:11 AM »
So I just read the updated rules SCTA has annouced.  I want to make sure I have read them correct, so please chime in if I have interrperated this wrong. "A generic requirement for this category is the car shall have been originally produced with seating for 4 or more people, i.e. adults or children. If the car was produced and sold with 2 seats on some models and 4 seats (including jump seats) on other models, the car will be classified as a Coupe and Sedan. Examples include Honda CRX, Ford Mustang GT 350's, Porsche, Nissan Z 2+2, etc."  ....  So now we can run our 280Z in Modified Sports, or Coupe class?  Ours is not a 2+2 but as it were a regular Zcar had to run in MS and a 2+2 only quailified for Coupe or Sedan, correct?  Now we are aloud to cross over if our car was produced in two forms........

Zach

Offline lvsalt

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 09:38:08 AM »
Modified Sports