Author Topic: Post your "Things I have to change to conform to the new rules" list here  (Read 19271 times)

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
1) Replace a perfectly good radiator with a stock size one. The one I have now may not be exact dimensions but sq. in. dimensions are the same. No aero advantage obtained with existing radiator. Cost: $250-$500

2) Remove all fuel lines from driver compartment.  In 2009 rule was changed to no flexable lines. Spent $350 to replace with all hard stainless lines now one year later that needs to be redone again Cost: Probably about the same (couldn't ya have just went with this rule last year?)

3) Remount window net ( I'm OK with this new rule ) Cost: minimal

4) Extend driver side helmet support. You would think that a system sold and designed by a good race seat manufacturer would be acceptable. Will I be able to get out with the extension? I guess I'll find out. Cost: minimal

Not too bad of a list for us.  Lets see others.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline jl222

Re: Post your "Things I have to change to conform to the new rules" list here
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 07:25:27 PM »

Replace all windows with Lexan $1200
                          Hans device  $ 600 ?
  Redo door net
  redo helmet support or special
 made full face helmet with 1 1/2
 less frontal protrusion               50,000 :-D

JL222
  Forgot the remote electric shut off
and head sock 

« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 08:29:54 PM by jl222 »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 07:41:53 PM »
I think this is a good idea. We might be able to help each other understand each others problems and come up with potential solutions.

My car needs:

1) New nomex head sock w/sfi tag as my current perfectly good nomex sock has no tag. However I think I'll continue to use our current head sock and run a Helmet skirt insted for extra protection.

2) Electric fuel pump Inertial shut off switch.

3) Cable for remote master battery shut off switch

4) Head & neck support

Thundersalt, per your #1 IF your current radiator is the same sq/in and mounts to stock I see no issues. I'd send a request to the rules committee to see if it is leagel per the rule below.

5.E.1    Production Class:
Add new 2nd sentence, pp 3:
A replacement radiator of the same height and width and mounted in the original location as OEM shall be used.  Blocking of air flow thru the radiator in front or behind is not allowed.

Per your #2. You might be over thinking this. What they want (SCTA) is isolation of the fuel lines from the drivers compartment. Put your lines in a tube with bulkheads at each end.

3.I    FUEL SYSTEMS:
Rewrite 3rd sentence:
All components of the fuel system shall be isolated from the driver’s compartment or pre-approved by the Technical Committee.

Your other items you seem to have a handle on.

Good Luck.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 09:06:33 PM »
  My heartache was to move the window and door net to the inside, because of the swing out side bar, they wouldn't work with the cage, so instead of the Jeg's forty buck nets, I had to have Diest built me a custom set for Two fifty.  In their defense, they worked me into their schedule and got them to me in a hurry.   :-P
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 09:36:51 PM »
  Oh, yeah, and the two hundred bucks for replacement belts for the still legal (or were they?) Impact safety belts.  Now I wonder if my DJ belts are nylon or poly?  Am I safe?  Am I over protected?  Is this racing?  Are Corvairs or Pintos safe to drive?                       Bob
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:38:42 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 10:18:28 PM »
Brian,

Mike is correct. If your replacement radiator is the same square inches or more as OEM you are good. The intent of this rule is to prevent the cutting down in height of a radiator or using a narrow core so that air flow in to the front of the car can be blocked by panels.

Mike's suggestion of #2 is a good solution.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 10:32:47 PM »
  In my car (which as a altered coupe isn't affected by the rule) I installed a 25 gallon water tank which recirculates the engine water back to the radiator. I run it about 2/3 full. My air to the radiator is a 1" slot under the hood bottom with the grill openings blanked off (53 Studebaker) . My block is 2/3 filled with concrete.  My fuel tank covers up 60% of the radiator.  I have a Moon Style clamp over (think fuel cap) that is safety wired shut.
  Out the top I have two common household  1" water heater relief valves plumbed out the rear of the car in case of a blown head gasket.  
  I can't get the car to 190 degrees in five miles running 25 % Nitro.  
  Do Not Run a flat sided tank as it may split with the loss of a head gasket.  Moon can build you what you want, or look at mine at Speedweek and go from there.           Bob
p.s.  I insulated the water tank and bought a Kool Shirt.............worth every cent, as the tank becomes a great heater if you get my drift...............
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:42:57 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 02:30:31 PM »
Bob why are you worrying about safety film ? cars over 250 mph must have polycarbonate windows ? Thanks

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 02:42:24 PM »
Inertia Switch & HNS; adding additional lower belts altho not required.

Dyno, how did you own a head sock that did not have a SFI cert unless it was not designed for racing? ie: painter. My skirt didn't have a cert and I used it as an additional protection. Just the opposite of what you said.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 03:02:10 PM »
Safety Film or Lexan for the windows. $???
SFI 38.1 system. $500-$600
New Helmet SA2010 (Check your Stickers Guys!) My SA 2000 is an Ornament in the museum now. $500-$600
Seat? new or re-work? $500

I did the inertia Switch last year, went down the Ford row at Pick a Part, got 2 with the pig tail, $5 each. Nobody even checked during tech.

That's about how much i spent on Gas to get back and forth to the Flats.

Then there's the stuff I want to make the Truck go faster!!!

hey it's not a cheap sport. At least I didn't blow up a motor or break a Tranny this year!
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 03:23:50 PM »
JD, I have complete nomex underwear from my road racing days back in the 80’s. None of it has an sfi tag, maybe because there was no sfi back then? As for the helmet skirt, I haven’t looked to see if they have sfi tags yet. One way or the other we’ll be legal before next season.
A question that has been asked before, Nomex does not wear out per the DuPont web site other than normal wear & tear. So my nomex should still be good to use other than a missing tag.

Normal home, commercial and industrial laundering and dry techniques are suitable. Because the flame -resistant protection is part of the aramid fiber it cannot be washed or worn out, even if the garment is mishandled. Recommended laundering procedures are available. Many companies consider industrial laundering programs to ensure their garments are thoroughly cleaned and properly maintained and to implement and manage their Protective Apparel programs.

Nomex® Protective Apparel garments are extremely durable and stand up well to repeated launderings and use. Fabrics have very low initial shrinkage (1 % to 3% ) and maintain their size and shape over the life of the garment. Nomex® Protective Apparel garments come out of the dryer ready to wear and rarely need pressing.

Chlorine bleach should not be used on Nomex® protective garments. Chlorine bleach or other additives will not remove the flame protection as they can with flame-retardant treated fabrics; however, to preserve garment strength and prolong garment life, chlorine bleach should not be used.

Caution: Thoroughly remove greases, oily soil and other flammable contaminants from Nomex® protective garments. Flammable contaminants serve as a fuel source and will reduce the thermal performance of any garment. Tears or rips should be repaired with components made from Nomex® brand fabric, sewing thread, zipper tapes and patches.

Now what I really like to know is how can we tell if we have Nylon or Polyester seat belts?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jl222

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 03:49:05 PM »

Replace all windows with Lexan $1200
                          Hans device  $ 600 ?
  Redo door net
  redo helmet support or special
 made full face helmet with 1 1/2
 less frontal protrusion               50,000 :-D

JL222
  Forgot the remote electric shut off
and head sock 

I had my suspicions when the lexon site took down their prices now $1700 for 3/16 and tinted :roll:
  Troy talked to the guy and he new all about Bville :roll:
  He also recommended window clips used to be $195 who knows how much now.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 04:04:01 PM »
  Leadfoot, the rule reads cars over 250 so if you wern't so darn fast you wouldn't need lexan :-D
  It does not say anything about the class record.
  Oh, yeah, 53 Studebakers have ALL laminated glass so you high rollers with newer classics finally have to pay for your sins....... :evil:
  I just want you to stay in the AA class................... pretty please!!!      Bob
Bob Drury

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 04:07:51 PM »
John, check with Tap Plastics. I think they're a lot cheaper.
http://www.tapplastics.com/
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 04:22:40 PM »
Oh I see. Bob some guys have all the luck. Now if we can just figure out the head restraints. ?? Thanks