Author Topic: cold weather in Utah  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
cold weather in Utah
« on: November 29, 2010, 11:32:54 AM »
Went out yesterday and found water leaking on my trailer, it was like 20 degrees and froze a bunch of stuff and the water filter inside the trailer exploded. Had to order a replacement and went to the Home depot to get a bunch of rubber tubing to wrap the plastic lines etc. I just hope nothing else is broken as I can't test until the new filter gets here. We a planning a trip next week and this really sucks. It's my fault as I didn't drain the system but didn't know it would get that cold. Usually this is all done ahead of time but I screwed up. I just hope the pump is ok. It was frozen as well.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: cold weather in Utah
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 11:37:54 AM »
OUCH   :cry:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 11:52:58 AM »
Okay, here's one that I forgot last year -- but got away with it.  Did all of you remember to freeze-proof the water pump on your power washer?  I ended up keeping it in the heated garage all winter last year -- this year put RV antifreeze in the thing before sending it to the barn.  I also did remember to run some Sta-Bil through the gas lines and carb, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 02:38:43 PM »
Okay, here's one that I forgot last year -- but got away with it.  Did all of you remember to freeze-proof the water pump on your power washer?  I ended up keeping it in the heated garage all winter last year -- this year put RV antifreeze in the thing before sending it to the barn.  I also did remember to run some Sta-Bil through the gas lines and carb, too.

Slim it was so hot here in Fresno [Clovis] last time we used it that it won't ever freeze even though it gets in the 20's :-D

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 06:24:47 PM »
Glen, check you water heater tank. If it froze stuff inside the trailer, you might have more problems. PM me if you have any questions.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 06:43:53 PM »
The water heater tanks rupture rather regularly because of freezing. I've probably welded more than a hundred of them, some more than once! Anyone who welds aluminum can normally do it rather simply.

Pete

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 06:51:39 PM »
The water heater is ok, still had the electric heater on it. I have drained it. and turned off the switch. I am picking up a pump head repair kit just in case. So far the only damage was the filter housing, blew the bottom out of it. The water pump was turned off so no flow. The water heater also has a shut off valve and I closed it off as well. Thanks for the tips. Didn't have to deal with this kind of cold in Calif.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 01:26:20 AM »
Man that stuff is head down here---just got back in from rigging up my heaters---suppose to be 25 tonight~
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 08:36:53 PM »
Sounds like global warming has struck again!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 09:52:52 PM »
lol  Al could not get West and put the fence back up to keep out the cold!  :evil:

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 02:06:54 AM »
Yep very cold here today, about 73F.  :-o

John